The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-14-2023, 11:18 AM

Default GIK Portable Isolation Booth?

Has anyone tried these, or do you have an opinion on how effective they might be?

I'm in the UK, so can't get the ATS panels. I'm not able to carry out full room treatment, and wondered if these portable panels might allow me to make good quality recordings in less-than-ideal rooms, such as my kitchen! I think they're about 2" thick, but probably double that if left folded down (perhaps that height might be effective when sitting down playing or singing).

https://gikacoustics.co.uk/product/p...n-vocal-booth/

Old 03-14-2023, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I own one. It's a nice bit of kit that I use in a corner where I have three bass traps behind me which help carry the load, so to speak. The unit is a good size. I just put a tape measure on mine and each hinged panel is 22" across. If you stand it up and bury the mic in the V it will certainly help cut down on reflections. The other nice thing about it is, when folded down, it can do double-duty as a gobo for when you want to record guitar while sitting.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-14-2023, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
I'm not able to carry out full room treatment, and wondered if these portable panels might allow me to make good quality recordings in less-than-ideal rooms, I think they're about 2" thick, but probably double that if left folded down (perhaps that height might be effective when sitting down playing or singing).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I own one. It's a nice bit of kit that I use in a corner where I have three bass traps behind me which help carry the load, so to speak. The unit is a good size. I just put a tape measure on mine and each hinged panel is 22" across. If you stand it up and bury the mic in the V it will certainly help cut down on reflections. The other nice thing about it is, when folded down, it can do double-duty as a gobo for when you want to record guitar while sitting.
So Glad you guys brought these to my attention. I am getting ready to invest in more panels..and a stand up panel like this would be perfect for my Vocal Needs. As well as both of you have mentioned...when doubled over it will add even more protection for my Acoustic Guitar recordings.

I've just now put in a call to GIK to find out more. They do not specifically tell you the insulation material. Only that it is 2 inch rigid Fiberglass. Waiting for a call back.

So what about the different available patterns? Are these only visual, or would one pattern effect the reflections more or less?
Old 03-14-2023, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Just got off the Phone with a tech rep from GIK.
This what I learned:

*Best diffusion patterns are the Alpha Series 1D, 2DA, 2DB for the PIB.

** The material used in the PIB is Knauf Insulation 1.6 pounds, two inches thick. One of the reasons they use this over the 703 is because it is lighter.
https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...rglass-1-6-lb/

The 3 of 703 refers to it weight 3 pounds(in the reference there of, I am not sure. I believe one 2 by 4 panel weighs 4 pounds) . As where with Knauf it is 1.6 pounds reference weight.

+Their claim: only a very minimal difference between Knauf 1.6 and 703 as far as how it reacts to frequencies.

*** Knauf 1.6 is quite a bit less expensive for a 6 pack of two inch thick raw material at only $46.80. As where corning 703 is $80.40. However, if you wish to make free standing 2 inch panels, Knauf 1.6, it is not as rigid. So either 703 or Knauf 3 pound(same price as 703) would be better.

+ He also claims that if you are going to make 4inch to 6 thick panels, that Knauf 1.6 will actually work better as it is less dense. Thus more absorption(I have read a little bit about this. The claim is too dense and it starts reflecting frequencies)

*** Shipping to California is $47..(Which I think is a terrific price considering the size of the PIB )

However, if you wanted to buy a PIB and a six pack...each unit regardless is still $47. Or two six packs of Knauf 1.6....still $47 for each.
If I wanted to buy a six pack and a PIB that would by $94 in shipping. That was the only disappointing figure. I was hoping that shipping would be less in comparison if you buy more.

Disclaimer: I make no assertions that any of the comparisons stated between Knauf and Corning are true. I am only relaying what I was told.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

I read all the time that 2 inches is too thin to absorb midrange.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-14-2023, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

I own four of these, they really tighten up an untreated room for recording when well positioned.
Old 03-15-2023, 04:39 AM

Thanks - that's all very helpful.

I was also wondering about the 2" thickness. As I think I mentioned, when they're folded they'll be 4" thick.

I'll have to have a think about how I plan to record, and where I'd set them up. They're quite expensive (I just noticed the list price is excluding VAT at 20% in the UK, and there's possibly carriage on top as well) but I could buy them one at a time.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

Totally - I bought the four over the course of 18 months.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
I read all the time that 2 inches is too thin to absorb midrange.
I am thinking that is probably more of an issue if you are mounting the panel directly on the wall (like in the first reflection position and mixing with speakers )

A free standing gobo type for recording is going to be more efficient as long as you don't put it right in the corner against the walls -- in terms of what ever sound wave does get thru is going to travel what ever the distance it is to the wall, and then back again. And on this GIK panel you also have the wood backer causing additional diffusion which helps also

Recording and mixing are two different circumstances with regard to room reflections

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-15-2023, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I am thinking that is probably more of an issue if you are mounting the panel directly on the wall (like in the first reflection position and mixing with speakers )

A free standing gobo type for recording is going to be more efficient as long as you don't put it right in the corner against the walls -- in terms of what ever sound wave does get thru is going to travel what ever the distance it is to the wall, and then back again. And on this GIK panel you also have the wood backer causing additional diffusion which helps also

Recording and mixing are two different circumstances with regard to room reflections
Good to know, Kev. I’ve been considering 3.5” Rockwool for tracking gobos that would double as mixing absorbers against the walls. Maybe that’s overkill for tracking?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-15-2023, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Good to know, Kev. I’ve been considering 3.5” Rockwool for tracking gobos that would double as mixing absorbers against the walls. Maybe that’s overkill for tracking?
Hard to overkill treatment Always easier to add some ambience effect in mixing than deal with reflection issues in the recording

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-19-2023, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Has it occurred to anyone, that we spend hundreds (some much more) to absorb and eliminate reflected sound waves in our space….then spend hundreds (some much more) on sophisticated reverb units to add simulated reflected sound waves to our space??
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 03-19-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Has it occurred to anyone, that we spend hundreds (some much more) to absorb and eliminate reflected sound waves in our space….then spend hundreds (some much more) on sophisticated reverb units to add simulated reflected sound waves to our space??
Yes it has. The reason for eliminating reflections in our spaces is instead of contributing to fidelity, they often cause problems such as uneven frequency response, comb filtering and other bad sounding stuff.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Yes it has. The reason for eliminating reflections in our spaces is instead of contributing to fidelity, they often cause problems such as uneven frequency response, comb filtering and other bad sounding stuff.
Just wanted to make this show up again in case someone missed it the first time.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-19-2023, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Totally understand, but there is a degree of irony. Just like how we now spend lots of money for modeling systems and pedals to re+create what was initially seen as an undesirable effect of early amplification technology. Those darn tubes get over-driven and start to sound fuzzy. Im guilty of both…
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD