The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-01-2022, 08:28 PM

Default Storing Binding Strips

Hey everyone,

Quick question, which I can't find an answer to online.

I am beginning my luthier journey, and am compiling wood and materials as I find them to use as I go along. One thing I was going to try to buy and/or make myself are wood binding strips.

My only question is, if I make or buy a bunch but don't use them (or at least most of them) until future builds, how should I store them? I am stickering the wood I buy for back, sides, necks, etc. But for thin strips for binding, that doesn't seem feasible. Is there a good, safe way to keep them so they stay in good condition down the road?

Thanks for the help!
- Colby
Old 05-01-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercurio View Post
Hey everyone,

Quick question, which I can't find an answer to online.

I am beginning my luthier journey, and am compiling wood and materials as I find them to use as I go along. One thing I was going to try to buy and/or make myself are wood binding strips.

My only question is, if I make or buy a bunch but don't use them (or at least most of them) until future builds, how should I store them? I am stickering the wood I buy for back, sides, necks, etc. But for thin strips for binding, that doesn't seem feasible. Is there a good, safe way to keep them so they stay in good condition down the road?

Thanks for the help!
- Colby
You can buy thin protector shrouds that fit over standard florescent bulbs to protect them from shattering when hit or bumped. Cut them to length and add corks to store your banding safely. They are also useful to prevent damage to shop-made or store bought kerfing strips.

I have a few of those tubes that Stu-Mac ships bulk 24" lengths of fret wire in. They are great if you make up your own back inlay or joining strips.

All these items can also be stored in sections of PVC pipe with matching caps, but it's nice to have transparent tubes so you can see what you have.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-01-2022 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:07 PM

Cardboard mailing tubes or tubes from Christmas wrapping paper. I stand upright, seems to work.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Cardboard mailing tubes or tubes from Christmas wrapping paper. I stand upright, seems to work.
Perfect! Thanks guys!
Old 05-09-2022, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

PVC pipe. Inexpensive and readily available.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:39 AM

I use larger cardboard mailing tubes. Mine are 3-4" in diameter from shipments of metal and wood. I lay them down horizontally. They have caps and the binding stays in good condition,
Old 05-10-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
I use larger cardboard mailing tubes. Mine are 3-4" in diameter from shipments of metal and wood. I lay them down horizontally. They have caps and the binding stays in good condition,
I get mailing tubes about 1.5" when I buy kerfing or inlay strips in batches of 20-25 from China, sometimes they tubes are plastic, sometimes lids.

You can also buy ABS or PVC tubing in different dia. by the foot at hardware stores,.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:46 AM

I use PVC pipe. Since they're strips they're actually supposed to be pliable enough to bend. No stickering required.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
binding, guitar building, storage, wood storage