The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-10-2007, 05:18 PM

Default What is the average cost of shipping a guitar?

I'm thinking of putting one on ebay. Anyone have an idea?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:27 PM

It varies. A typical acoustic incl. case weighs about 25 lbs in the box. If you limit shipping to continental U.S., be sure you allow enough leeway to cover a sale for the furthest distance possible.

You might find it helpful to check similar Ebay auctions to see what they are charging for flat rate shipping.
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 10-10-2007, 05:27 PM

Using UPS I averaged 50 to 60 bucks anywhere in the lower 48 states. One time...just one time I used Fed-Ex and it cost me $175.00. I'll never use them again!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Size is important...

Also, the dimensions are crucial. At www.ups.com you can calculate the cost. You will find that even though the package may be 25-30 actual pounds, you will be charged for 70 pounds because of the size. If you go too large, the price really jumps.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:57 PM

I must live in podunk USA since I typically pay close to 100.00 to ship guitars through UPS
Old 10-10-2007, 06:05 PM

I shipped my old OMC Aura from NC to TX via Fedex Home Delivery, insured for 2K, signature required. It cost me around 40 bucks and change.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Using UPS I averaged 50 to 60 bucks anywhere in the lower 48 states. One time...just one time I used Fed-Ex and it cost me $175.00. I'll never use them again!!!
You are paying way too much for UPS! I'm guessing you were using a PakMail or UPS Store, as they charge 30-40% over regular UPS book rate! Something is seriously wrong with the FedEx shipment, as I use both and FedEx is generally the same to 10% less, depending on location. I mean I paid less than $40 for Fl to OR, which is the absolute farthest from point A to point B in the continental US!

I've shipped four guitars in the past 15 months FedEx Ground Service.

-Florida to Oregon insured for $2000..................$39
-Florida to Indiana insured for $2500.................$32
-Florida to California insured for $2500...............$34
-Florida to Chicago insured for $2000..................$37

I shipped two guitars UPS in the past 12 months:

-Florida to Taylor factory insured for $3000..........$47
-Florida to Ohio insured for $2500.......................$42
Old 10-10-2007, 06:38 PM

That could be the problem. If you use those little stores that do the shipping for you through UPS or Fedex, some of them have a whopping upcharge.

I simply signed up for an online Fedex account at fedex.com I enter in my information (dimensions, weight, addresses, value etc) print a shipping label and they bill it to my credit card once I drop it off and it's scanned. I can drop off at any Fedex full service or Fedex authorized shipping location. No muss no fuss.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:56 PM

Yeah, I used a UPS Store to send one of my dulcimers, in its flat hardshell wooden case (about 2/3 the size of a small solidbody electric guitar case), back to the Blue Lion factory in Santa Barbara for a pickup installation. UPS insisted on a large box--and it came out to almost $125. Fortunately, Blue Lion picked up the return shipping.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:42 PM

Any updated cost for shipping an acoustic guitar back with hard case? Only way is fedex or ups right? Also which ups to go for a lowrr rate? Didnt know there were ups stores that charge diff rates
Old 06-10-2016, 10:06 PM

I stopped insuring guitars a long time ago. Apparently, if you pack the guitar yourself, which I always do, UPS or FedEx will fight tooth and nail not to pay up in the event of damage, saying that you didn't pack it properly. So what's the point? In the very unlikely event of a guitar getting damaged in transit, I'll put it down to bad luck and move on. The money I've already saved in avoided insurance costs would pay for a really hefty repair!
Old 06-11-2016, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyt2lynnin1 View Post
Any updated cost for shipping an acoustic guitar back with hard case? Only way is fedex or ups right? Also which ups to go for a lowrr rate? Didnt know there were ups stores that charge diff rates
I only ship FedEx Ground, indirect signature required (unless the guitar is valued over $1,000, then direct signature required). If you figure the box is about 50" X 20" X 9", and the package weighs 25#, the three ballpark prices are:

Zone 1 - places withing two days: ~$55
Zone 2 - places 3 or 4 days away: ~$75
Zone 3 - far away...5 days: $80 - $100

Note: These prices include a third party insurance I purchase that offers real protection, and costs $7 to $15 depending on the value of the guitar.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-11-2016, 05:06 AM

This is exactly right. I made the mistake of using a ups store once, or fed ex I can't remember. Do this all on line and then just drop it off, costs maybe half as much in some instances!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
That could be the problem. If you use those little stores that do the shipping for you through UPS or Fedex, some of them have a whopping upcharge.

I simply signed up for an online Fedex account at fedex.com I enter in my information (dimensions, weight, addresses, value etc) print a shipping label and they bill it to my credit card once I drop it off and it's scanned. I can drop off at any Fedex full service or Fedex authorized shipping location. No muss no fuss.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Your standard dimensions for a drednaught box should by 46 x 20 x 8.

It doesn't take much to miss that and put you in a much higher category.

This thread is much too late for me, now that I have downsized and shipped many a guitar using USPS at around $70. Ow well, live and learn.

CK

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic