The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-24-2021, 02:40 AM

Default NUD

I'm new to ukulele but not stringed instruments - I've played many stringed instruments for many years - violin, viola, mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello, guitar, resonators, banjo hybrids, etc.

I recently joined a popular ukulele forum and asked this, but only got one response. I know there are other uke players here, so.....

Never did much with classical guitar, so this is really my first nylon stringed instrument (Martin tenor T1K). One thing that surprised me so far is the action. Evidently 3 mm at the 12th fret is normal for a tenor uke. I set the action much lower on my steel string mandolins and guitars, even though I use medium to heavy strings. Another surprise is how much I have to keep tuning up. My other instruments settle in pretty quick with new strings, but the Martin strings on this uke (open gear tuners) are still stretching a lot.

So for those of you experienced uke players who also came from steel stringed instruments - what are other surprising or unexpected differences you've run across?
Old 01-24-2021, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Im a guitarist/teacher first, I do also play/teach ukulele. It's a great, fun instrument. You will find that that the nylon strings WILL settle and require less tuning. You bought yourself a nice instrument T1K to learn/play on!
I would suggest at some point, trying different strings, of different materials. They will surprise you.
Enjoy!
jricc

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-25-2021 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:10 AM

Chopping on the 2 and 4 on the uke is a good sub for a mandolin.

D.H.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:20 AM

The thing that makes uke interesting is all the right hand techniques -

Kind of the opposite of mandolin
Old 01-25-2021, 02:16 AM

Nylon strings, in general, can take longer to become stable, but they will.
Getting them properly stretched out can be a chore compared to steel.

I really like the Martin Ukes, I have a Soprano (all laminate) that is surprisingly nice, and I keep being tempted by a C1K.

Various stringed instruments
Old 01-25-2021, 12:26 PM

To hasten the process, stretch them (quite firmly) while installing
Old 03-07-2021, 09:00 PM

The Hawaiian RH techniques are definitely unique. I come from a classical guitar background so I tend towards approaching from above instead of below like they do, which is very much like a lute technique.

However, many other classical techniques are commonly employed like rasgueados and triplet finger combinations. I have several tuned to low G but I still have a soft spot for the traditional high G tuning. There's something about the tight chords it creates that is very special. The Daily Ukulele books are indispensible for a new player, giving you chords and diagrams to songs you already know and love as well as some choice ones you may not be so familiar with.

It's a very fun and approachable instrument and I'm fortunate to build and work on them every day (I'm a luthier at Kala). Enjoy!
1995 Taylor 855 12-string Sitka/EIR
2002 D'Angelico NYL-2 Blonde
2020 The Loar LH-700-VS Burst
2007 Alejandro Cervantes Hauser Signature Engelmann/Cocobolo
2016 David Hernandez 7-string Cedar/Palo Escrito
electrics, basses, mandos, ukes, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments