The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2023, 06:10 PM

Default What PA system?

Hi there, I am a solo singer guitarist playing covers,
I currently use a JBL Eon 15 " with a powered Eon sub and a yamaha powered mixer. I like the sound I get with a nice Bottom end and its a good clear sound with plenty of volume for the medium size up to 100 venues I play, I was thinking of upgrading to a EV Evolve 30 or 50 or something similar, The Bose systems (pro 16 or 32) seem to have some issues so might avoid those, does anyone own one of these EV or Bose systems and can advise me or let me know their experiences? I'm fairly sure they will be an improvement on my present set up but slightly worried about there not being enough volume. I have never heard any of these systems and its a lot of money to waste if I get it wrong. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:52 PM

I have a Yamaha Stagepas 1K and my church uses a Turbosound ip2000. The portable line array stick PA systems don't quite match the system you have in the ability to really thump hard. If you're playing at reasonable sound levels but don't want to blow out ear drums, I believe either one mentioned above or the EV system will be ample. I've spoken with GC salesmen who claim they know 3 and 5 piece bands who use two of the EV systems with great LOUD rock and rock bleeding ear loud results.

The one thing I notice with my Stagepas is there is a mid range presence missing that I achieve with my sub/top PA combo like you use.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:02 PM

Have you looked into something like a Fishman Pro Amp Solo SA220? You see used ones for less than $400-$500?
Old 02-20-2023, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlechange View Post
Have you looked into something like a Fishman Pro Amp Solo SA220? You see used ones for less than $400-$500?
Yes I have looked at the Fishman system but its finding one with a sub, they don't come up for sale very often here in the UK either.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I have a Yamaha Stagepas 1K and my church uses a Turbosound ip2000. The portable line array stick PA systems don't quite match the system you have in the ability to really thump hard. If you're playing at reasonable sound levels but don't want to blow out ear drums, I believe either one mentioned above or the EV system will be ample. I've spoken with GC salesmen who claim they know 3 and 5 piece bands who use two of the EV systems with great LOUD rock and rock bleeding ear loud results.

The one thing I notice with my Stagepas is there is a mid range presence missing that I achieve with my sub/top PA combo like you use.
Thanks for that insight, I really need to try one to know for sure I guess. I have thought about purchasing the EV and sell it on if its not what I'm looking for, I wouldn't say I play particularly loud but without the sub the Eon sounds thin. I play a yamaha apx 8a that I've had since 90s and I still love it, It sounds better than ever now.
Old 02-20-2023, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

May be looking for a wood cabinet.

I play JBL PRX 815's. If you want good sound, these will do it.

Before I bought a powered speaker, I demo'd many models. Eon included.

The PRX series was the best sounding most affordable option.

If you've got the extra cash, look at the SRX. Same drivers, more DSP and Bluetooth.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:09 AM

Hove you heard the JBL PRX 1 column speaker? Its had some good reviews, though its hard to find a good review that's not aimed at DJ's.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gough View Post
Hi there, I am a solo singer guitarist playing covers,
I currently use a JBL Eon 15 " with a powered Eon sub and a yamaha powered mixer. I like the sound I get with a nice Bottom end and its a good clear sound with plenty of volume for the medium size up to 100 venues I play, I was thinking of upgrading to a EV Evolve 30 or 50 or something similar, The Bose systems (pro 16 or 32) seem to have some issues so might avoid those, does anyone own one of these EV or Bose systems and can advise me or let me know their experiences? I'm fairly sure they will be an improvement on my present set up but slightly worried about there not being enough volume. I have never heard any of these systems and its a lot of money to waste if I get it wrong. Thanks in advance.
Hi Dave G…
A 12" 2 way cab system (like the QSC powered cabinets) are amazingly natural (which I'm not sure that's what you are going for).

The advantage over your current system is portability, less weight, better projection and coverage - especially if you elevate them to the midpoint of the room (˝ way between floor and ceiling).

My gigging partner & I have used a pair of 12" 2 way Community cabinets with an 1100Watt power amp/mixer for about 15 years, and they are great.

If what you have is working, I'm not understanding the incentive to 'upgrade'. But a single QSC 12" powered speaker would be an 'upgrade' over the EON - though I'm not sure anyone in an average audience would know or care.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-20-2023, 03:17 PM

I have the older JBL Eon One Tower system and love the way it5 sounds.
The newer https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...umn-pa-speaker is even better and had plenty of bass.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

We love our EV30M. Do a search in this subforum. No shortage of posts about the EV30/50M!

Here's my review of our experiences with the EV30M. We've now been using it non-stop since we got it back in June of 2022. Excellent system.

NAD: Jumped on the Evolve EV30M bandwagon - Updates with demo videos
Old 02-21-2023, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have the older JBL Eon One Tower system and love the way it5 sounds.
The newer https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...umn-pa-speaker is even better and had plenty of bass.
Thanks for that link, Its very reassuring to know you are happy with it so will definitely look into that newer version.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
We love our EV30M. Do a search in this subforum. No shortage of posts about the EV30/50M!

Here's my review of our experiences with the EV30M. We've now been using it non-stop since we got it back in June of 2022. Excellent system.

NAD: Jumped on the Evolve EV30M bandwagon - Updates with demo videos
Thanks for sharing those experiences they really are detailed and helpful, I was thinking about the EV 50 but the 30 also has plenty of power by the sound of things and the dispersal is amazing.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:36 PM

I have an EV30M and I love it. I'm not a skilled player so I cannot give you a good musician's evaluation... but it's easy to use, easy to transport, tough, and I think it sounds great.

ProAudioStar often has returns in stock at a discount. That is how I got mine, and it looked brand new.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
electro voice, evolve 50., pa systems