The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-23-2019, 03:52 PM

Default Joining the club

Greetings, Sub-forumites—

Last weekend at a guitar show in town, I parted ways with a lovely ‘64 Gibson LG-1 that I have had since I was 7. With other sizes/shapes of Gibsons acquired over the last 20 years, I no longer played it and, sentimental value notwithstanding, I began to understand that it was time to release it back into pond so that some lucky player could usher it through the next phase of its life.

At the guitar show and with a tiny amount of cash added, I traded for it for a 2016 RainSong H-DR because I have always wanted to add a CF to my little stable, specifically for use as a travel guitar. Before last weekend, I’d only played one or two CFs, and one was a CA travel-sized. Besides the whole “slip off your lap” thing, it didn’t sound near good enough to justify the cost. I was bummed, and figured that was that.

I brought the dread home, knowing I could move it along if it wasn’t a fit. It seemed like a good trial period, esp since I did not have to come out of pocket much. And, as it turns out, I very much liked the sound and how it felt in my lap. But I don’t need a cannon in my lap anymore, and the long game was to bring in the smallest travel-sized CF I could find. The one I brought home, and scores of youtube demos, got me thinking my goal was possible with a RainSong.

So today I put the h-DR up for consignment at my local shop and pulled the trigger on a P14 that was up on Reverb. It may take a week to get here, but I went and done it!

I couldn’t have done it without my lil’ Lg-1, and with a little luck and a willing seller, I find myself well on the way to joining your ranks for good. (Reading years of threads here was definitely helpful, as well as interesting.

So if you’re still reading , I will leave you with one question: what strings would do well on this long-scale CF parlor? Seller says it’s coming with extra lights, so I’ll change those out pretty quickly.

80/20s? I like nickel on my hogs, so I was thinking to try Retro lights first, unless that is anathema on a CF. Not a fan of coated-strings, but...I will entertain any suggestions.

Thanks, all...
Old 03-23-2019, 04:24 PM

Great story and welcome to CF land
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-23-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Anne, Welcome To The Dark Side!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-23-2019, 04:42 PM

I would probably use some version of 12s. That's what I use on my X20 and Lucky 13. Works good enough, but again it's pretty much what I use on my woods too. I don't have the parlor, so I am just telling you what I would probably use with absolutely no direct knowledge of the guitar other than trying one once in order to attempt to answer your question.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 03-23-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

So, I'm in a club and didn't even know it ! Welcome to the CF forum and congrats on your P14. Really nice guitar! I think you are headed the right direction with the Retro's. Others that own that model will be more help...
Old 03-23-2019, 06:06 PM
Guest 928

Welcome to the new world. Your question regarding strings is astute--carbon fiber is much more sensitive to strings. I'm sure that someone, or ones, may offer advice.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:46 PM

I don't generally respond to "which string" threads - we each have our own mental image of good acoustic tone, and hear differently. What works for me may not sound good to you. For example I put some John Pearse Pure Nickel strings on my Lucky 13. I like them on other guitars, but could not get them off that particular guitar fast enough!

CF guitars are more sensitive to string type, so you will have to experiment for yourself. FWIW my choices are D'Adarrio EJ-16, Elixir Nanoweb PB's and GHS White Bronze. In part these are chosen for ready availability at local stores, or what I keep in stock. I use all three in other light or medium gauge, depending on the guitar.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneS View Post

So today I put the h-DR up for consignment at my local shop and pulled the trigger on a P14 that was up on Reverb. It may take a week to get here, but I went and done it!
The "marine burst"? Nice looking guitar. A small part of why I chose the one I did (see recent NGD thread), is that I want the weave to show on my CF guitar--but for a solid "finish", the blue is mighty purty....

Congrats!
Old 03-23-2019, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I like the RS Parlor - it is one of those "compact, but big enough" guitars. I tried different strings on the RS Shorty I had, but always came back to Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Lights.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:19 AM

Had a Shorty once. Retros (lights or LJs Choice) and Newtone Masterclass Doublewound PB were excellent on that guitar. John Pearse Bronze and Silk were also excellent.

BUT, as Earl said, my playing style calls for a certain tone and response from my strings. I also didn't like the tone of John Pearse Pure Nickels on the Shorty, or Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze. However, Aluminum Bronze sound really good on the Journey. You just have to spend a little money and see what you like as every guitar and player are different. While CF guitars are very sensitive to the strings you put on them, they still have a signature voice that no string can really change. If you are new to CF, it won't be long and you will get good at hearing how much of your tone is strings or the guitar. CF tends to amplify everything- especially your mistakes
Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 AM

Welcome to carbon!

As always and mentioned strings are indeed a personal thing. Personally, I found Elixirs "flat" on my little Cargo, John Pearse PB lights a good fit and now am (at least for now) sold on D'Addario nickel bronze. If you have liked nickel elsewhere, I might suggest you try them first.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:58 PM

Just checking back in...

My P14 arrived today, and I couldn’t be more pleased. It’s sporting DR Dragon Skin extra lights, and I can’t complain, even though I assumed they’d feel too light. I will eventually get the Monels on, but for now, I’m happy just to settle in and begin the Conversation, ya know?

I don’t do my own set ups or anything, but, to my eye, the saddle is really quite low. It plays just fine, though, and there’s no buzzing anywhere, even with full-on strumming, including with a capo way up the neck. The case candy from Rain Song says something like “If you want higher action, you can use a higher saddle.” Okay, I guess there’s that.

Well, as I said, the action is just fine, but here’s an abstract question for you seasoned CF owners: when I do put on the Monel Lights, is there a chance I’ll need to have the action adjusted? (With a slightly higher gauge and nickel-wound round cores, I don’t have a clue whether that’ll result in overall more or less tension.) Might a CF neck respond to even such slight tension differences, I wonder, (especially given the low action of the current set-up) in the way a wood neck might?

Finally (before I get back to playing), the marine burst finish is very impressive in person. In pictures, it was hard to appreciate its elegance, and I wondered if it’d look a little garish or, worse, toy-like. But I was buying this for all its features, and the finish wasn’t going to be a deal-breaker, regardless. Turns out, it is a lovely thing and adds a bit of an unexpected “wow” factor.

So it’s official now: I got me a CF. (Is there a secret handshake?)
Old 04-02-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneS View Post
Just checking back in...

My P14 arrived today, and

So it’s official now: I got me a CF. (Is there a secret handshake?)
Yes, you have to pass your P14 around for our approval JK

Welcome, Anne, I am not sure if I could call myself one of the tribals, but am happy for your P14 and wish you lots of joy trying out different strings: It's like buying new guitars except much cheaper!!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Congrats on the P14! My shorty is also a Marine Burst, and yes, they look better in person.
I can’t imagine the tension of any string set having much affect on the neck in a CF guitar, but with differn’t strings you may wish to make an adjustment to make it play better. I haven’t been too adventurous on my string trials on my CF but have done D’addario EJ’s, SCGC parabolic low tension and my go to Elixr’s.
Have fun with the experimenting.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:43 PM

FWIW my early Rainsong WS-1000 does not have a truss rod to adjust, and I've never missed it, although I understand the desire. That guitar switches between light, medium-light, and medium gauge strings pretty routinely and also runs through six different alternate Hawaiian slack-key tunings - the lowest being CFCFAC, hence the heavier gauge strings.

I have not perceived a difference in action for any of these various amounts of string tension ranging from 140-190 pounds total.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber