The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-31-2017, 03:10 AM

Default California Dreaming (Arizona and Nevada as well)

It’s a week since we returned from our trip to NAMM Show and finally I'm getting caught up with work and recovered from the jet lag. I must be getting old because the jet lag seems to hit harder than it used to but still it was worth it.

I have been crossing the Atlantic for the NAMM Show every year since 2000 and it’s always one of the highlights of my year. When it’s cold and grey in Ireland a good dose of California sunshine makes the winter seem a lot shorter.

While we have exhibited at NAMM on a number of previous occasions, we have recently decided to focus our marketing efforts in different areas. So now we only attend NAMM to meet component suppliers, look for new components, get a feel for what the world music industry is doing and, most importantly, meet up with old friends and watch some of the best musicians in the world demo some of the greatest instruments in the world.

This year my wife Kim came with me and we flew in a few days early, hired a Mustang convertible and headed for the desert. We spent a night in Mojave before spending an amazing day in Death Valley National Park. When you have a convertible in January it’s a good idea to head to the hottest place in America to find enough heat to get the top down.

EG Alistair Kim Mustang by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

That evening on our way to Vegas we realised we were passing by the little town of Blue Diamond where none other than EvanB lives. I had been there about eight years ago and remembered the area. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to call in with Evan. So I knocked on his door out of the blue and within a couple of minutes we were being treated to a song on his custom X10N. What a treat. My good wife was kind enough to video the event and you can see it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_QAuSDS8hs

With EvanB
EG Alistair Evan by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

After a couple of nights in Vegas and a day at the Grand Canyon, we finally got back to Anaheim for NAMM. Of course I always take an opportunity to say hello to all the other carbon builders, do a little industrial espionage and get a photo opportunity.

Cross-promotion with Joe Luttwak (Blackbird)
EG NAMM 2 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

With Ashvin Coomar (RainSong)
EG NAMM 1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

Catching up with Paul and Ferdinand (Aristides)
EG NAMM 3 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

Chatting to Rob Bailey (Journey)
EG NAMM 5 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

Great seeing Mick Donner (Electra) again
EG NAMM 4 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

It was great to see the new models from the other builders and I have to say they are introducing some very fine instruments. I think we all have great respect for each other and when we see each other’s work it spurs us on to collectively keep raising the bar. Composite instrument-building is in its relative infancy, but I have watched it grow and mature over the last 19 years that I have been part of it. We are all just getting started.

Alistair
Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Hey Alistair. Waaay cool experience. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see Evan...the song seemed made up on the spot and was perfect for your encounter. The photos with your colleagues are great to see. My wife and I have had two very similar business/road trip adventures in California, Arizona and Nevada. Both times, convertibles were involved. Wonderful landscapes and memories!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Very Nice post ! Thanks
Old 01-31-2017, 10:11 AM

Love the Mustang, and that video with Evan.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:39 AM

Sounds like a great trip!

As for me, well, I can't wait to leave my California home and get back to Ireland again!
Old 01-31-2017, 01:46 PM

Great to hear Evan and his guitar Nice song.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 01-31-2017, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Sounds like a great trip!

As for me, well, I can't wait to leave my California home and get back to Ireland again!
I'm with you on that one..........I've been over to the Emerald Isle three times, but not for a while now. I told Sean at Emerald Guitars when I get back over there I'm going to Donegal and buying them boys a few pints of Mother's Milk........otherwise known as Guinness!! LOL!!!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 01-31-2017, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Well, that was cool!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 AM

It's good to see that you could break away from the hustle at NAMM and enjoy nature.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 02-02-2017, 04:20 AM

Dear all,

As we have built up such a close relationship to our customers, it was great for Alistair to meet many of them at NAMM, too, as well as the many other friends in the business he has made over the years. I have plenty of photos, but here are just a few which will allow us to give the guys a shout-out.

Best Wishes

Sean

Jason Phelps is a professional musician who works for Berndt Guitars. He is also an an avid hiker and has taken his X5 on many trips including on a 2,600-mile backpacking trip from Mexico to Canada on the Pacific Crest Trail.
NAMM friends 5 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

It was so nice to spend an evening at NAMM with Nate Lopez. An incredible 8-string guitarist, Nate got his custom X20 Woody just over a year ago and from what we heard, he had a great night with it jamming with the Fretmonkey Records entourage. https://www.facebook.com/natelopezmusic
NAMM friends 4 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

We were so lucky that our paths crossed with this amazing guy at NAMM. It just so happened that Paul Cheese was also at the show and we got to catch up with him over coffee. Paul travels the world on his bicycle and two X7s, recording music in various locations, using sounds he picks up along the way. www.paulcheesemusic.com
NAMM friends 3 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

Two Irish luthiers: We were very fortunate to spend a good while chatting to George Lowden (Lowden Guitars). We're big fans of his work and he is a real gentleman. http://www.lowdenguitars.com/
NAMM friends 2 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

It was such a nice surprise to our friend Gary Lutton at NAMM. Signed to Fretmonkey Records, Gary is an incredible percussive guitarist from Belfast who shot to fame after winning the Sky Arts Guitar Star television programme in the UK. We are sure that you will hear much more of him in the future. http://garylutton.com/
NAMM friends 1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

Last edited by Emerald Guitars; 02-02-2017 at 04:42 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber