The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-08-2021, 11:41 AM

Default Replacing Taylor ES2 with LR Baggs Anthem

I'm going to be installing a Baggs Anthem in my Taylor 514e soon, as I have not been getting along with the Expression System 2 pickup. I've had an Anthem in an older 814ce that I loved, so I'm hoping it will work well for me in this application too.

My question: Can I leave the stock ES2 pickup installed in the bridge? I don't want to plug the holes in case I ever want to put it back to stock some day, Just want to make sure that won't cause problems with the Piezo UST somehow. Also, has anyone made this switch and what where your thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodx14 View Post
I'm going to be installing a Baggs Anthem in my Taylor 514e soon, as I have not been getting along with the Expression System 2 pickup. I've had an Anthem in an older 814ce that I loved, so I'm hoping it will work well for me in this application too.

My question: Can I leave the stock ES2 pickup installed in the bridge? I don't want to plug the holes in case I ever want to put it back to stock some day, Just want to make sure that won't cause problems with the Piezo UST somehow. Also, has anyone made this switch and what where your thoughts?

Thanks!
I don't like the ES2 on any guitar and Taylor seems to be selling fewer and fewer guitars without it. Really pushing it on people.

You can leave everything as-is because the ES system isn't an under-saddle. Its mounted under the bridge. They should be able to coexist. If you do decide to plug the holes there are kits that come with the plugs to at least make it look decent.

IMO once you have a Baggs installed you won't ever go back to the ES.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby View Post
You can leave everything as-is because the ES system isn't an under-saddle. Its mounted under the bridge. ...

The ES2 is not under the bridge - it is behind the saddle.

The LR Baggs Anthem as an under bridge mic but also a True Element piezo that is undersaddle.

So when done you will have an under saddle and behind saddle. The ES2 has tension adjustment screws that could impede the vertical transmission to the undersaddle, so you will probably want to loosen them.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-08-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

I Love The ES2 but please consider installing the simplicity of a Dazzo passive system instead of the Anthem. I just installed my first Dazzo in a Larrivee D-40M and Love It!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-08-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I Love The ES2 but please consider installing the simplicity of a Dazzo passive system instead of the Anthem. I just installed my first Dazzo in a Larrivee D-40M and Love It!
Have you compared Dazzo to Trance?
Old 01-09-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Given that I have 3 big holes in my bridge plate right where I’d need to mount these sensors, I opted for something a little different so that I didn’t have to mess with that. Plus, I’ve been very happy with the Anthem in other guitars.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Have you compared Dazzo to Trance?
Not yet, Aaron, but I will after I install a Trance M-VT Phantom in another guitar.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-13-2021, 09:31 AM

I actually have a Taylor 524 and was looking to replace the ES2 system as well, but I can't make up my mind. I mostly play on a live stage with a lot of sound..5 stage monitors, numerous mics etc. I was thinking of going with the Anthem, but someone told me that the tru mic would be prone to feedback in that setting. I didn't want to go with just an element because I didn't want to go with an under saddle piezo only. I do have a Boss AD-10 preamp where I can EQ and add effects from there. Would you guys recommend the Anthem? Another thing I'm trying to get over is having that tan colored control box sticking out in the sound hole like that, but maybe I could just put a soundhole cover over it or something? Not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodx14 View Post

Thanks!
Hotrod, something to consider... Depending on when your Taylor left the factory there maybe an option for you. In around October, November 2019, Taylor updated the pc board for the es2. I changed mine in two guitars and it made all the difference. It is a simple plug and play a dealer has to do, but what a difference. If it had not fixed my grief, I too would have switched it to the Anthem. Taylor is pretty good about providing a dealer with the board at no cost if you are the original owner, maybe even if you are not.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
Hotrod, something to consider... Depending on when your Taylor left the factory there maybe an option for you. In around October, November 2019, Taylor updated the pc board for the es2. I changed mine in two guitars and it made all the difference. It is a simple plug and play a dealer has to do, but what a difference. If it had not fixed my grief, I too would have switched it to the Anthem. Taylor is pretty good about providing a dealer with the board at no cost if you are the original owner, maybe even if you are not.
I thought somewhere around 2014, Taylor changed the original preamp for ES2 to the ED-T preamp. Are you saying in 2019 there was another preamp change, an ES2.3 in a manner of speaking?
Old 01-16-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin4winter View Post
I thought somewhere around 2014, Taylor changed the original preamp for ES2 to the ED-T preamp. Are you saying in 2019 there was another preamp change, an ES2.3 in a manner of speaking?
In 2014 it was still the ES 1. But yes, I have them in two of my Taylors, one of which I still have. I believe it is a ES 2.1. I could be wrong. Taylor is very forthright about it. A call to them will clarify. MY ES 2's have never sounded better. Night and day difference from what they came with.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
I’ve swapped out boards in previous guitars and they were definitely better but for some reason I still didn’t love it. I didn’t know about a newer update and maybe the 2019 preamp is better (I’m pretty sure when I called them I either got ES-T or ES 1.3 preamps with the other two). Honestly I got tired of trying out preamps and tweaking the tightness of the pickup elements.

My current guitar is used and was previously registered so I don’t have the luxury of calling and getting the swap for free. Already pulled it anyway and put in an Anthem SL. So far, it’s just what I was hoping for. I’ll have to play with the mic adjustment some when I can play through the sound system at my church where I play frequently, but at home through my smaller speakers it sounds fantastic.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:38 AM

Just wondering if you ever did this install? Looking at putting an anthem sl into my 418e hoping the mic will fit on the bridge plate and I can reuse the battery box?

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 11-04-2022, 06:12 PM

Some updated info for all of you. I reached out to Taylor asking about this, and this was their response.

"In 2014, the ES2 was introduced. We updated the ES2 preamp with the ES-T version in September 2016."
Old 11-05-2022, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbosco10 View Post
Some updated info for all of you. I reached out to Taylor asking about this, and this was their response.

"In 2014, the ES2 was introduced. We updated the ES2 preamp with the ES-T version in September 2016."
My now-gone September 2016-made Taylor Mini-e Koa had the last of the full-size, real ES2 preamps factory-installed in it and it sounded great!

I asked Taylor to send me an early-2016 ES2 preamp, which is the last of the real ES2 preamps, so I could swap it out for the anemic ES-T preamp in my 2019 Taylor 717e Grand Pacific Honeyburst Builder's Edition and they did, free-of-charge, with no hassles.

FYI: The first ES2 system was introduced in the 2013 Fall Limited Editions of which I had the Taylor 516e ES2 FLTD. This was the HOTTEST ever ES2 system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-05-2022 at 08:49 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification