The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-10-2011, 09:49 PM

As someone else has already said, guitars in this price range are going to be really hit or miss. Two seemingly identical guitars might be quite different from each other in terms of sound. The Yamaha classicals I have played have not impressed me at all, but others seem to like them, so maybe I just have not played enough of them (and I have in fact played a very nice but very inexpensive Yamaha steel string, so I'm willing to believe that there is some basis for what people say about the Yamaha classicals).

The nicest lower priced classicals I have played have been LaPatrie (as others have already said), which are the classical counterpart to the Seagull steel strings by the same company, which are probably some of the nicest inexpensive steel string guitars I have played. I'm not sure whether they fit into the $250 price range though. I've also played some Hoffner classicals that impressed me, though I guess these were maybe a bit more expensive.

I have $20+ year old all laminated wood Takamine classical that is actually a darn nice guitar, all things considered. It does not have the volume/dynamic range of my nice Spanish made classical, but it plays well and has surprisingly nice tone.

None of these will sing the way a classical in the $1000 range (and up) might, but it sounds like that is probably not an option for you at this time.

Also, if you are relatively new to classical guitars, you should realize that good nails on the right hand and good right hand technique make a huge world of difference to the sound. If you could have someone who is a decent classical guitar player (with good right hand technique) play some of these guitars for you you might be able to get a better sense of what a given guitar's capabilities are.

Last edited by wcap; 04-11-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 AM

Just ordered a Yamaha CG142 from Kraft...can't wait!
Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 AM

Cordoba C5 or C7

Or

Yamaha CG172
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Default Cordoba

See the post on Cordobas ...
Old 05-06-2012, 02:49 PM

You know, Ii have to tell you, I just came from GC and I played a bunch of low priced classical guitars for comparison. The clear winner was the Cordoba C3M. This guitar played and sounded like a $1,000 guitar and the price on the tag was $199. The action on it was unbelieveable and the tone was incredible, it actually sounded better than my $700 Cordoba GK Studio. I was really amazed at how well it sounded and how perfect the action was. I liked it hands down over the Yamaha CG172, the Alvarez AEG10NETNG (which was very nice looking with cutaway and pre amp but the action was awful) and several other models as well. I really think you need to check this guitar out...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical