The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 03:10 AM

I don't come from a musical family......... but my kids do.

YouTube
Old 04-17-2018, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

My older brother plays guitar and has some really sweet guitars, my middle brother ( now deceased) was a fantastic drummer, and my dad was an opera singer (hobbiest). He also played clarinet and tonette. Every morning for elementary school my dad would come in and play the William Tel overture on the tonette to wake me up. I did not realize it at the time but in retrospect he really rocked it.

I do think coming from a musically inclined family had a positive impact on my playing
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 04-17-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:58 AM

The phrase has been ruined for me.

We had a little thing at a Saturday evening service at the Synagogue -- a brief service transitioning into a little acoustic singer/songwriter concert. A member of the congregation -- herself a singer (an opera singer) -- introduced the singer/songwriter, her sister. As part of the intro, she acknowledged, in a very exaggerated accent, that they "come from a musical fahm-ih-ly." We all chuckled. Because we've heard it before. And because, yeah, we knew that the daughters of Pinchas Zukerman came from a musical family.

And now I just think my own is . . . well, not that musical.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
I don't come from a musical family......... but my kids do.
Neither of my parents or any of my grandparents sang or played anything None of them listened much to music either. I had an aunt who, played piano, they say. Another one played Joann Castle style ragtime. A cousin is a whiz on ragtime and tunes and restores pianos as well. And a second cousin played for the silent movies and also played that fast ragtime.

My kids were definitely exposed to music and encouraged in a greater way than I was, but none have carried it very far. One daughter (#2) has the talent that the rest of us lack (including me) but at this time in her life is focused on career and family and is not pursuing any of the arts she is good at. Another daughter (#1) just bought a keyboard, which is saying something as her lifestyle is pretty nomadic. Son #1 can play a little guitar and accordion, but mostly doesn't. Neither he or my #1 daughter can sing worth beans. They got that from me, or so I joke (daughter #1 is not related to me by blood!).

Me, what I have accomplished is a result of practice and an abiding love of music. Nothing was natural or came easy - but it came. I have always been respectful and envious of musical families and natural talent. Cherish it if you have it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:29 AM

I have plenty of musically inclined relatives, so I feel that it does play a factor - and is probably the reason why I feel I should be so much better than I am. What I think is more important isn't so much the innate talent but having the confidence and support of family and friends, whether they have talent or not. It's not what you know, but what you do with it and if the people you know are supportive of you.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 AM

“Are you from a musical family and if so has it helped your playing?”

I don’t think there is much question that the likelihood of getting encouragement and support for one’s musical endeavors is higher and more qualitative in a musical family. Add to this that there is a much higher likelihood that a young person in a musical family will be exposed to more music (in general) when growing up as well as given guidance in the learning process.

Maybe above all is the wiring process in the brain (at a very early age) is influenced by environment.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:51 AM

I married into a family of classical musicians. It has definitely helped my playing and musical understanding. But I always loved music and started playing guitar before I met my wife. Both of my kids play multiple instruments though neither one is bound to do it for a living. Holidays are wonderful with lots of live music and singing. Also because of my wife, I've been to hundreds of classical music performances which has definitely helped my musical appreciation.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:05 PM

For me that is a good question. Me and two other brothers play(ed) guitar. They are deceased and are quite a bit older than me. Both my parents loved music. My Dad had an inclination to play and loved music. My Mom loved to sing but being totally deaf by the age of 19 was tone deaf. One sister can sing quite well but is too shy. My Dad bought me a guitar when I was three. We were quite poor so I never was able to afford anything until I left home.

The answer to this question is "I don't know".
Old 04-17-2018, 06:31 PM

Default Are you from a musical family and if so has it helped your playing?

No, and it hasn't helped me any.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 PM

My family was always very musical - we got trotted out to sing in church as a quartet from the time we were old enough to read the words....and my kid sister and I continued with music as adults - she's the better piano player and does musical theater, I mostly play guitar, and do more work in bands.

My daughter is a good singer, but hasn't taken to any instruments. My ex-wife? Couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, and I swear, had NO sense of rhythm. Even clapping 4 beats to a bar was foreign to her.

That wasn't why we got divorced, but it didn't help, either.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 04-18-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Neither of my parents or any of my grandparents sang or played anything None of them listened much to music either. I had an aunt who, played piano, they say. Another one played Joann Castle style ragtime. A cousin is a whiz on ragtime and tunes and restores pianos as well. And a second cousin played for the silent movies and also played that fast ragtime.

My kids were definitely exposed to music and encouraged in a greater way than I was, but none have carried it very far. One daughter (#2) has the talent that the rest of us lack (including me) but at this time in her life is focused on career and family and is not pursuing any of the arts she is good at. Another daughter (#1) just bought a keyboard, which is saying something as her lifestyle is pretty nomadic. Son #1 can play a little guitar and accordion, but mostly doesn't. Neither he or my #1 daughter can sing worth beans. They got that from me, or so I joke (daughter #1 is not related to me by blood!).

Me, what I have accomplished is a result of practice and an abiding love of music. Nothing was natural or came easy - but it came. I have always been respectful and envious of musical families and natural talent. Cherish it if you have it.
From my experience, a certain amount of ability to play is in the genes but the desire to play comes from your friends.

Nobody in my family showed any interest in playing a musical instrument but all my friends did - and so did I.

My two sons have been surrounded by music all their lives and to both of them, music is the core interest. My older son has a collection of guitars which he plays... and plays... and plays. This is not from my influence but because all of his friends play and they have formed many bands over the years.

My younger son is very gifted on the piano but rarely plays. He first decided to try keyboards and got himself an electric piano. a few months later, with no lessons he was playing the intro to Firth of Fifth (Genesis) but his piano now gathers dust. None of his friends play anything and despite his ability, nor does he.

I also believe that a natural musical ability goes hand in hand with mathematical ability.

YouTube
Old 04-18-2018, 08:29 AM

As far as I'm able to tell, I'm the lone musician in the family.

The same for my wife's family.

Yes, there were relatives who may have dabbled a bit...I have a guitar from a great uncle, my wife has one from her uncle. Neither of us recall them actually playing them.
We both started on piano back when there was a period of time when giving your kids piano lessons was the rage. We both played in "the band," me on trombone and her on clarinet, all the way through college, where we met. We were both church organists, too. But she doesn't play anymore and neither of my daughters took to their violin or viola either.

So that leaves me. The only continuing musician and performer in the family.

But I learned to play guitar because I wanted to. At first, by watching Laura Weber's folk guitar lessons on public television.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Among my immediate family we have 4 professional musicians, all but one of whom have at least a post graduate degree in music. Does this help? Yes, it does. You ought to hear us when we go Christmas caroling!

cotten
Old 04-18-2018, 11:15 AM

I had a nice reply to this yesterday and then, Poof! It was gone! I'll give you the abridged version...

Yes. Both my parents had musical ability. My dad, a little more so. I have 4 siblings who all played an instrument of some sort in school band, with 4 of us playing guitar. With my older brother and I being the most skillful. I have 4 nephews who play guitar, better than all of us, I might add! We can all sing well and learned how to read music. My paternal grandfather and his siblings would sing gospel songs, quartet style, for weddings and funerals. Several of my dad's cousins were professional musicians. I have an uncle and several cousins who play guitar. It seemed to have been in our genes!

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 04-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Yes, immensely, on both sides, going way back. I've got a photo of my great uncle playing an acoustic in front of a rustic cabin, and grandma (mom's side) played piano, organ, and sang. My mom played piano, and my dad was always in the church choir. His dad died when I was 4, so I didn't get to know him, but he was a musician in the Army in WWI.
Out of the 4 kids in our family, my older sister plays classical flute, and I play harmonica, Native American flute, drums, guitar, and sing. My nephew plays guitar, and my niece is a percussionist.
My 4 kids all love music. The oldest is a very accomplished Tabla player, and the youngest is an incredibly gifted guitarist. Their mom's both play guitar and sing. Family gatherings always include singing and extended jams, and the three grandkids all join in. I'm looking forward to supporting them with music any way I can.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion