The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 PM

Default Mogami Upgrade?

Hey All,

My Furch has a K&K Trinity System which has a TRS to TRS sweetwater cable running into the K&K Preamp. Then two Mogami Gold cables running out of the Inputs of the mic and under saddle UST into a Radial Pro D2 box. Then I have a generic XLR cable running from the Radial to the XLR snake box. This all goes back to the PA system.

My question is would it be worth the extra money to upgrade to Mogami TRS/TRS and XLR/XLR cables? Or will it be a rather minimum upgrade per price? Thanks!
Old 10-21-2018, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Well, you know thqt old saying about "only as strong as the weakest link..." - seems a very good idea to have similar quality cables in the signal chain.

I have a couple really hgih-end Monster cables... got 'em when a friend became an endorser. They were still quite expensive, but I had the $$$ at the time. I used them for a few years, and then, through the same friend, I got a couple of the (then) new Taylor cables, made especially for acoustic guitars (yeah, yeah, I know...).

The Taylor cables are Mogami wire with nice ends... the very first time I plugged one in to my Bose L1 Classic, I really couldn't believe how much better they sounded than that Monster cable I was using! Seriously - even with my (then!) 60 year old ears, I could really hear differences... more high end (and clearer), more low end (tighter/clearer).

Just my experience...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-21-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
Hey All,

My Furch has a K&K Trinity System which has a TRS to TRS sweetwater cable running into the K&K Preamp. Then two Mogami Gold cables running out of the Inputs of the mic and under saddle UST into a Radial Pro D2 box. Then I have a generic XLR cable running from the Radial to the XLR snake box. This all goes back to the PA system.

My question is would it be worth the extra money to upgrade to Mogami TRS/TRS and XLR/XLR cables? Or will it be a rather minimum upgrade per price? Thanks!
Likely a minimal upgrade in performance or noticeable tone but I'd buy the Mogami cables as they're as good as it gets and are available everywhere there's a Guitar Center. Got a real or imagined problem with a Mogami cable? Take it in to a Guitar Center and get a new one, on the spot, for no charge.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-21-2018, 10:11 AM

Wouldn't hurt but don't expect to hear any sonic improvements.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 10-21-2018, 01:04 PM

I've been using Mogami XLR mic cables for 10 years almost daily for gigs and in that time two have failed but they have A no questions asked lifetime warranty which Guitar Center had no problem giving me new cables when I brought them in. I too think there is a slight sonic improvement with Mogami cables over lower brand cables especially with noise levels. And the reason I say this is because, I had problems with noise in my studio, so one by one, I changed out almost all the patch cables in with Mogami and my noise levels dropped dramatically.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 10-21-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I've been using Mogami XLR mic cables for 10 years almost daily for gigs and in that time two have failed but they have A no questions asked lifetime warranty which Guitar Center had no problem giving me new cables when I brought them in. I too think there is a slight sonic improvement with Mogami cables over lower brand cables especially with noise levels. And the reason I say this is because, I had problems with noise in my studio, so one by one, I changed out almost all the patch cables in with Mogami and my noise levels dropped dramatically.

I have had the very same experience in gradually making my studio connections all Mogami. Yes it’s cost a lot of money and yes the ROI might be subtle, but I want the best and Mogami delivers.

That said, I have recently switched my instrument cable to this and I hear a subtle improvement over Mogami from the lower capacitance:

https://www.vovox.ch/en/professional...strument-cable
Old 10-22-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey All,

Hi Sf

I did not find Mogami cables (handwired with top shelf parts by a sound engineer) to be any different sounding or better than my Whirlwind TRS ¼" cables I ordered from Amazon.

Both have lasted me well (and served me well) for over 14 years now.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparis51 View Post
I have had the very same experience in gradually making my studio connections all Mogami. Yes it’s cost a lot of money and yes the ROI might be subtle, but I want the best and Mogami delivers.

That said, I have recently switched my instrument cable to this and I hear a subtle improvement over Mogami from the lower capacitance:

https://www.vovox.ch/en/professional...strument-cable

My instrument cable has to be trs/trs.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Sf

I did not find Mogami cables (handwired with top shelf parts by a sound engineer) to be any different sounding or better than my Whirlwind TRS ¼" cables I ordered from Amazon.

The ROI from high-end cables is dependent on the equipment used. In the case of the OP's setup, I'd agree little to nothing would be gained from upgrading to a Mogami coming out of a Radial Di which is only delivering a 20Hz to 20kHz frequency response.

When it comes to a recording studio setup however I can promise that upgrading to Mogami cables going in and out of a DAW into an SSL console was worth it. You don't see a difference between a 1/2 inch and 1 inch water pipe until you try to push a lot of water through it.

Cable discussions can be a real rabbit hole but I'll say one thing most can agree on: Monster cables are an overpriced hype!

Last edited by jparis51; 10-22-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Sf

see last post

Quote:
My instrument cable has to be trs/trs.
If you want a Vovox just ask for theblanced cable with TRS plugs on both sides.

Quote:
The ROI from high-end cables is dependent on the equipment used. In the case of the OP's setup, I'd agree little to nothing would be gained from upgrading to a Mogami coming out of a Radial Di which is only delivering a 20Hz to 20kHz frequency response.

When it comes to a recording studio setup however I can promise that upgrading to Mogami cables going in and out of a DAW into an SSL console was worth it. You don't see a difference between a 1/2 inch and 1 inch water pipe until you try to push a lot of water through it.

Cable discussions can be a real rabbit hole but I'll say one thing most can agree on: Monster cables are an overpriced hype!
+1000 And in my case it wasn't the frequency response I was concerned with, it was noise levels. And the mogami wire lowered the overall noise levels from all the preamps, into patchbays, into mixers. And funny that Whirlwinds were mentioned, because some of the cables and snakes that were replaced were Whirlwinds along with HOSA snakes.

And I've also got some VOVOX cables, which are built like a tank, and they're great. I do 90% of my vocal tracks through a Manley Voxbox which is patched straight into my RME UCX via a Vovox cable. My DB25 snakes from most of the other preamps into a RME ADI-8DS are all Mogami along with most mic cables. Since I've gone that way I've had no problems that have stopped work flow. I know it's not an SSL but you get the idea.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi jparis

I NEVER plug in my acoustic guitars in studio…I'm strictly a mic man. And if they wanted to plug in my preamp (since I have an internal mic plus pickup), I'd use the the XLR out on my preamp. If the studio has cables other than mine they prefer, then I'd use those.

I can assure you for direct output in studio and the short throws I use, I'm not forcing water down a thin pipe.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification