The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 PM

Default A guy, his Tak, and his kit with looper

Find THePETEBOX YouTube vid and his take on David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World," and tell us what you think.

For all our talk about high priced guitars here, do they matter when you can do what this guy does?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 10-09-2018 at 06:45 AM. Reason: fix video
Old 10-08-2018, 11:01 PM

The link isn’t showing up.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:07 PM

Martin 000-15S
Gibson Army/Navy mandolin
Old 10-08-2018, 11:52 PM

Takamine makes good guitars.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:40 AM
Charter Member

Looper acts, even the very good ones, are interesting. At best. For a few minutes

Last edited by Nymuso; 10-09-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:52 AM

When you listen to the tone of his Tak by itself, it isn’t impressive. With all the looping, processing, and effects used, acoustic tone isn’t a priority. With this level of technology in a performance, it becomes difficult to have much spontaneity. The tapdance and coordination are impressive, but it doesn’t leave me inspired. I’d stay to watch if I happened upon this, but wouldn’t search it out.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 AM

Default !!!!!!!

Ugh!

This is a forum for Acoustic guitars.
Little of that is guitar playing.
It's electronics gobbledegook ... not the talent of the guitar player ... so Meh!
Old 10-09-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Looper acts, even the very good ones, are interesting. At best. For a few minutes
I lasted 2 minutes, but it wasn't easy. I found this interesting for about 45 seconds.

But it's a big world and I don't have any problem with other people enjoying this. I'll bet he has no problems finding bar gigs.

As to the question of acoustic guitar sound, I'm not sure this is a good example of what that guitar could do. I had a Tackmine at one point and it sure sounded better than that.

Am I going to trade my Lowden on an electronic rig so I can sing percussion parts and bass parts? Let's just leave it as "unlikely."
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-09-2018, 06:59 AM

The first thing I thought was - he isn't doing anything with the guitar. That changed a little bit half-way through (yep, I stuck it out). Looping can be done well and that is what Ed Sheeran and KT Tunstall do. For me, this was more like a beat-box with guitar played over it. He puts in a lot of work but it's not my cup of tea. I loop but very minimally like laying down the first to measures of Wonderful Tonight so I can play the lead parts over it. Then I turn it off until the lead again. When it drives, or overdrives, the entire song, again for me, it becomes distractive.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:52 AM

Kind of like comparing apples and the Hubble space telescope. Apples are for one thing, the Hubble for something else. Both are good though
But I don't think I'd like Takamine pie....
Old 10-09-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
As are these negative type posts.
FWIW, I wasn't in love with this particular clip.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I lasted 2 minutes, but it wasn't easy. I found this interesting for about 45 seconds.

I'll bet he has no problems finding bar gigs.
Definitely plenty of bar gigs to be had with a looping rig. The one in the OP's clip didn't sound very organic. There's a sound he's going for though, and I can respect that.

I ran bands for years. Lots of hard thankless work for pay, which wasn't in line with the effort put in. Looping allowed me to increase my prices, and lower my stress levels, so I love it.

Looping seems to be a polarizing topic with some, but I'm happy to play everything from bar gigs to weddings with my setup and I'm much better off financially than I was trying to put bands together.

In addition, more places can afford a solo act than a band, so there's more work throughout the whole week. It's not perfect, because I'd rather play with a group, but not for more stress and less money.

Last edited by The Kid!; 10-09-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 PM

The original OP specifically asked "tell us what you think", so this what I think...

It just doesn't do it for me. The tones the guy is going for, well they just don't move me, and by the time the guy got to the first verse after the tap dance, I was bored. But I've seen guys incorporate loopers into their act so seamlessly, you wouldn't think they were using one. I personally like to arrange songs with a minimalistic approach for my solo act, so I don't relate to looping like others may. I even stopped using a porchboard that I built, that many people love, just because I wanted to strip songs down to voice and guitar only. A looper surely isn't needed to get solo work, but if that's what it takes to inspire artists using them, or to present songs more like the originals, more power to them. There's lots of gigs out there for those who put the work in, looper or not. It takes a lot to learn how to use a looper effectively and I respect the work put in. Talent is talent, looper or not. In the end it's all about entertainment.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
It just doesn't do it for me. The tones the guy is going for, well they just don't move me, and by the time the guy got to the first verse after the tap dance, I was bored.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
There's lots of gigs out there for those who put the work in, looper or not. It takes a lot to learn how to use a looper effectively and I respect the work put in. Talent is talent, looper or not. In the end it's all about entertainment.
Agreed on all 4 points.

It's like any tool. There's a way to use it seamlessly, and a way to bore the heck out of an audience with self indulgence.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:09 PM
Guitar Gourmet

"Some assembly required."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN