The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2019, 06:16 PM

Default Neck angle trouble or am I being paranoid?

I have a beautiful new guitar (well, new to me). Guitar is a Breedlove.

Right now action is perfect at 3/32” at low e, 2/32” high e. Saddle seems really low. Saddle comes out about 3/32” in the middle. Break angle seems ok-ish. Straight edge test hits just a hair below the bridge (it’s a pyramid bridge, so it’s kind of rounded where it faces the fretboard. Basically hits the top of the rounded area.

Ruler on the soundboard to the D string is very close to half an inch (maybe 1/32” to 2/32” off)

I haven’t removed any neck relief so the straight edge test wasn’t very accurate.

Plays and sounds awesome. Play on? Paranoia on?

Last edited by parlorpower82; 08-26-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Based on your info, your guitar is beginning to approach the need for a neck reset...but the actual need to have one is likely many years in the future.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlorpower82 View Post
I have a beautiful new guitar. Plays and sounds awesome. Play on?
That’s a big YES!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 08-19-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=parlorpower82;6141779]I have a beautiful new guitar (well, new to me).

Right now action is perfect at 3/32” at low e, 2/32” high e. Saddle seems really low. Saddle comes out about 3/32” in the middle. Break angle seems ok-ish. Straight edge test hits just a hair below the bridge (it’s a pyramid bridge, so it’s kind of rounded where it faces the fretboard. Basically hits the top of the rounded area.

Ruler on the soundboard to the D string is very close to half an inch (maybe 1/32” to 2/32” off)

Quote:
I haven’t removed any neck relief so the straight edge test wasn’t very accurate.
I think the most important dimension is the soundboard to the bottom of the strings at the bridge , if the action is acceptable.....

1/2 is ideal

3/8 is not

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion