The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-27-2021, 02:13 PM

Default NGD Gretsch 5420 (aspen green)

It arrived this morning at 1158- the sweetwater packaging was impeccable as usual- except this time, the smart film didn't contain the foam they spray into the box for protection, so, it was stuck to the inside box. It was a chore to get the guitar out. (NO, I'm not complaining- just 'splainin) It was packaged (from the inside out) guitar in case, case in box, box in box. OAL was 57 1/2"-
It weighed a ton! So does the guitar, compared to my acoustics. It only required a minor tweaking to bring it in tune- so far, so good. I've been playing songs that use E, B7 and D, as well as Am, E, C, F, and D- because I love those progressions-

The guitar is immaculate looking! Nary a flaw- the Koreans did good

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...dy-aspen-green

I will be doing a you tube review when I can find another round to it-
Old 08-27-2021, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! Pretty guitar and I bet it sounds terrific!

- Glenn
Old 08-27-2021, 03:47 PM

Ya done real good going with the green 5420, kinda like the E-matic version of the $2300 G6118 Players' Edition Double Anniversary - all the tone and visuals at one-third the price :

I don't know what acoustics you have in your collection, but with a weight in the low sevens it's one of the lighter electrics out there - I was in sixth grade when I got my Brooklyn-original '64 6117 (the sunburst version of the Double Annie), and even with the skinny straps of the day I always found it easy on the shoulder and well-balanced; if you find it troublesome you might want to try a wide (2-1/2" - 3"), relatively soft single-layer leather strap, as IME the screw-on strap retainers and Bigsby mounting plate can cause issues with thicker strap ends...

As I recall your preferred musical styles run to roots/rockabilly, and speaking as a six-decade Gretsch owner these babies really come into their own with a set of wound-G flatwound strings, a bit heavier (11's - or 12's if you can handle them) than what virtually all electrics ship with these days: with the short Gretsch scale (24.5 - 24.6") lighter strings - especially roundwounds - can be problematic in terms of both tone (thin and edgy - that characteristic Gretsch twang should have some upper-bass/low-midrange support to balance the chime) and intonation (especially the plain G - which can sound kinda wonky and out-of-tune, especially if you're a converted acoustic player). BTW, don't worry about bends or double-stops - a set of 12's on a short-scale Gretsch feels much like 10's on a 25-1/2" scale guitar, and you'll appreciate the tonal benefits...

Hope you've got (or will have in the near future ) a nice old-school low-/mid-powered tube amp to go with it - use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 08-27-2021, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

I have always loved those Aspen Green Electromatics! Simply beautiful and a great playing/sounding guitar as well! Congrats on a great new guitar!

If you like Rockabilly music, check out some of the videos by Randy Richter. He has some great ones on Udemy that are well worth the meager price.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations. That's a fine looking guitar.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:50 PM

Welcome to the club!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-28-2021, 05:10 AM

Congratulations on your new guitar Gdjjr! Hope you enjoy it...
Old 08-28-2021, 05:56 AM

Thanks guys!
It is a pretty sucker- I was waiting on a Rat Rod, but, this thing is pretty!
Doesn't sound half bad either

Played with it most of the day yesterday- plays well, set up is good to go and I love looking at it! The TKL case is top notch too!
Old 08-28-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Ya done real good going with the green 5420, kinda like the E-matic version of the $2300 G6118 Players' Edition Double Anniversary - all the tone and visuals at one-third the price :

I don't know what acoustics you have in your collection, but with a weight in the low sevens it's one of the lighter electrics out there - I was in sixth grade when I got my Brooklyn-original '64 6117 (the sunburst version of the Double Annie), and even with the skinny straps of the day I always found it easy on the shoulder and well-balanced; if you find it troublesome you might want to try a wide (2-1/2" - 3"), relatively soft single-layer leather strap, as IME the screw-on strap retainers and Bigsby mounting plate can cause issues with thicker strap ends...

As I recall your preferred musical styles run to roots/rockabilly, and speaking as a six-decade Gretsch owner these babies really come into their own with a set of wound-G flatwound strings, a bit heavier (11's - or 12's if you can handle them) than what virtually all electrics ship with these days: with the short Gretsch scale (24.5 - 24.6") lighter strings - especially roundwounds - can be problematic in terms of both tone (thin and edgy - that characteristic Gretsch twang should have some upper-bass/low-midrange support to balance the chime) and intonation (especially the plain G - which can sound kinda wonky and out-of-tune, especially if you're a converted acoustic player). BTW, don't worry about bends or double-stops - a set of 12's on a short-scale Gretsch feels much like 10's on a 25-1/2" scale guitar, and you'll appreciate the tonal benefits...

Hope you've got (or will have in the near future ) a nice old-school low-/mid-powered tube amp to go with it - use it well, often, and LOUD...

My acoustics weigh in the 4+/- range- this is 7lbs. Sitting while I play that ain't no thang

Have a Bugera v5 per your recommendation for an apt
The strings, per Gretsch, are 11-49's, I have some Roto Purple 11-52's-

The sound is good, but, a tad muddy(?) - which probably is because I don't use a pick for picking, just my thumb and occasionally my index finger purely for effect. I'll mess with the amps, (I have a mini loud box too) and guitar controls to see what I can come up with to increase the sharpness. I'll get some flat wounds and see what's what sooner or later.
Meanwhile, I will enjoy looking at it! It is pretty. A lot more so than I thought it would be. This Aspen Green fits it perfectly and the chrome hardware adds a touch of old school to it I really like.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

The Gretsch 5420 models are wonderfully toned, great quality, and one of the best electric guitar values out there--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-28-2021, 11:12 AM

Congrats on the Gretsch! There is a weight difference between acoustics and electrics for sure but you're doing good with 7 lbs. As Steve mentioned, that's on the lighter side for electrics.

Enjoy your Gretsch!
Old 08-28-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
My acoustics weigh in the 4+/- range- this is 7lbs. Sitting while I play that ain't no thang

Have a Bugera V5 per your recommendation for an apt
The strings, per Gretsch, are 11-49's, I have some Roto Purple 11-52's-

The sound is good, but, a tad muddy(?) - which probably is because I don't use a pick for picking, just my thumb and occasionally my index finger purely for effect...I'll get some flat wounds and see what's what sooner or later..
In order:
  • If you're used to four-pound acoustics a seven-pound hollowbody (as Dru and I both said, definitely on the light side for a full-size electric) will take a bit of adjustment - the wide single-layer leather strap I recommended previously (Levy's and Perri's both have suitable options in the under-$30 range) should solve that nicely, and it's a good idea even if you're seated;
  • I use a Bugera V5 with all of my Gretsch instruments (an original 1964 Double Annie, a 2015 three-pickup Electromatic 5622, and a double-cutaway White Falcon) and while it doesn't have the sheen of a blackface Fender or the chime of a top-boost Vox AC it's far from muddy - FWIW if you're looking to obtain the sound the first generation of rockabilly players heard, these low-power class-A combos (think tweed Fender) were exactly what they were using, which leads me to:
  • A thumb-based playing technique will by its nature be softer and mellower-sounding than a pick - and while Wes Montgomery built his legendary jazz career that way, you might want to develop your plectral chops if you want to come closer to the sound you're after;
  • The D'Addario ECG24 flatwound set is, except for the wound G, a direct swap for the factory strings and the go-to for my Electromatic (as well as for a few other Gretsch players' E-Matics here on the Electric subforum) - you'll just need some minor tweaks to the bridge saddles (particularly the G, since you're going from plain to wound) for intonation, and if you so desire you'll probably be able to lower the bridge as well for even easier/faster fingering...
Good luck...
Old 08-28-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

If you like using fingers but want more snap, consider using finger picks. Also, pick closer to the bridge. I think thinner strings, like maybe a .10 set might give you a little less thud as well.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
In order:
  • If you're used to four-pound acoustics a seven-pound hollowbody (as Dru and I both said, definitely on the light side for a full-size electric) will take a bit of adjustment - the wide single-layer leather strap I recommended previously (Levy's and Perri's both have suitable options in the under-$30 range) should solve that nicely, and it's a good idea even if you're seated;
  • I use a Bugera V5 with all of my Gretsch instruments (an original 1964 Double Annie, a 2015 three-pickup Electromatic 5622, and a double-cutaway White Falcon) and while it doesn't have the sheen of a blackface Fender or the chime of a top-boost Vox AC it's far from muddy - FWIW if you're looking to obtain the sound the first generation of rockabilly players heard, these low-power class-A combos (think tweed Fender) were exactly what they were using, which leads me to:
  • A thumb-based playing technique will by its nature be softer and mellower-sounding than a pick - and while Wes Montgomery built his legendary jazz career that way, you might want to develop your plectral chops if you want to come closer to the sound you're after;
  • The D'Addario ECG24 flatwound set is, except for the wound G, a direct swap for the factory strings and the go-to for my Electromatic (as well as for a few other Gretsch players' E-Matics here on the Electric subforum) - you'll just need some minor tweaks to the bridge saddles (particularly the G, since you're going from plain to wound) for intonation, and if you so desire you'll probably be able to lower the bridge as well for even easier/faster fingering...
Good luck...
Thank you- I have a lot to learn and you provide valuable info.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
[*]The D'Addario ECG24 flatwound set is, except for the wound G, a direct swap for the factory strings and the go-to for my Electromatic...
I went with the ECG25 flatwounds (12-52), which are close to the 12-54 Magma flat-ground strings I'm using on my HD-28V, so the feel of both guitars is very similar. In either case, I really like the D'Addario Chromes, and they last a long time!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars