The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-22-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Dru, it's only 53 lbs but it's kind of awkward, especially on stairs, given its dimensions. Then there's the Vox AC30 that weighs in at 73 lbs--what were they thinking!?
53 lbs is heavy and you're right, it's the awkwardness to carry, probably against your hip or leg to help carry the load. Still... that tone
Old 08-22-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Hi Dru, it's only 53 lbs but it's kind of awkward, especially on stairs, given its dimensions. Then there's the Vox AC30 that weighs in at 73 lbs--what were they thinking!?
I don't know what they put those Voxs but my AC15HW1X weighs nearly 50lbs!
Old 08-22-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
...it's only 53 lbs but it's kind of awkward, especially on stairs, given its dimensions. Then there's the Vox AC30 that weighs in at 73 lbs--what were they thinking!?
My '65 Super Reverb RI scales in at 65 pounds (hasn't left the house in a few years for just that reason), and as much as I'm an old-school tube amp guy I'm seriously thinking of bailing out in favor of the new TM Super at just over half the weight. As far as Vox is concerned I own one of those MV50 NuTube mini-heads, and since Fender introduced the Tonemaster line I've wondered why Vox hasn't countered with a similar series of AC combos; they own the rights to the NuTube technology so they could keep things in the analog camp, and at about half the weight of their all-tube counterparts I think they'd sell a whole bunch of them, especially to those of us for whom the AC10 doesn't have enough grunt for the type of gigs we play - and/or who no longer have the grunt to haul a 72-pound AC30...
Old 08-22-2021, 01:52 PM

The first thing I did with a Marshall 1962 Bluesbreaker HW replica combo after wrestling it from my car to the 2nd floor was pulling the chassis out.. so now it is quite manageable
I just need a light shell for the head - and let that fridge with 2 G12Cs sit at home

I think it must have been no less than 80lbs... and I have a light cab with a Gold and Fane Ascension 12s, so much better sounding
Old 08-22-2021, 02:10 PM

This thread has me waxing nostalgic. I had a '59 reissue and sold it to a friend who still has it.

My recollections are it was heavy. Heavier feeling than the 53 lbs would indicate.
It got loud! Loudest 40 watts I've ever heard!
The tone. What a glorious sounding amp.
Dynamics. With my '91 Strat Plus on the neck p/up the dynamic change based on one's attack were just awesome.

I just couldn't deal with moving it around and for home use it was like firing up a nuclear power plant to light a cigarette.
Old 08-23-2021, 03:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
This thread has me waxing nostalgic. I had a '59 reissue and sold it to a friend who still has it.

My recollections are it was heavy. Heavier feeling than the 53 lbs would indicate.
It got loud! Loudest 40 watts I've ever heard!
The tone. What a glorious sounding amp.
Dynamics. With my '91 Strat Plus on the neck p/up the dynamic change based on one's attack were just awesome.

I just couldn't deal with moving it around and for home use it was like firing up a nuclear power plant to light a cigarette.
LOL, Yes, indeed, that's about it but man oh man those clean, surrounding tones at low to moderate volumes are music to the ears!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-24-2021, 03:02 PM

Strictly a bedroom (and porch) player here and I am positive this bad boy is a bit big for my requirements, but **** I sure want one.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbuster View Post
Strictly a bedroom (and porch) player here and I am positive this bad boy is a bit big for my requirements, but **** I sure want one.
FWIW I routinely practice at home through high-power amps - Randall RB-120 (120W), Fender Frontman 212R (100W), and the aforementioned '65 Super RI - and always did, even when living in two different Brooklyn apartments (where people can get a little, um, testy... ); FYI if you're mostly a clean player not only doesn't it get out of control, but you'll appreciate the substantial dynamic range and headroom - and in the spirit of the '59 tweed I even run my 4-string basses through the Super's Normal channel, for a tubey-sweet medium-power tone that blends well with acoustic instrtuments...
Old 08-28-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Today, I'm playing my Gretsch 5420GT-59/Strymon El Capistan combination into the Bassman for the first time and getting a great Sun Records Rockabilly sound. After the initial loose-chassis issue and its subsequent tightening, I went over this amp from top to bottom and it's all A-OK! This Fender '59 Bassman LTD is a keeper!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-28-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Today, I'm playing my Gretsch 5420GT-59/Strymon El Capistan combination into the Bassman for the first time and getting a great Sun Records Rockabilly sound. After the initial loose-chassis issue and its subsequent tightening, I went over this amp from top to bottom and it's all A-OK! This Fender '59 Bassman LTD is a keeper!

Glad you're still lovin' it! You have enough amps to try some stereo...
Old 08-30-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Glenn, I love the tone of Fender tube amps!

I also love the tone of Vox amps but the only reason I'm not buying one is that even their hand-wired series are made in China and not in England. If there is another level of new, English-made Vox amps somewhere out there, especially an AC30 model, I'm all in!
They ended production in 2017, but the AC30HW60 is what you're looking for. They did a limited run of UK built AC30 and AC15 amps for their 60th anniversary. They pop up on the used market occasionally.

Back on topic, the Bassman is still my favorite amp out of all I've built. OP, you owe it to yourself to pop in some musician's earplugs and explore further. That circuit has a combo of growl and clarity when overdriven that very, very few amps possess.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 08-31-2021, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
They ended production in 2017, but the AC30HW60 is what you're looking for. They did a limited run of UK built AC30 and AC15 amps for their 60th anniversary. They pop up on the used market occasionally.

Back on topic, the Bassman is still my favorite amp out of all I've built. OP, you owe it to yourself to pop in some musician's earplugs and explore further. That circuit has a combo of growl and clarity when overdriven that very, very few amps possess.
Thanks, Clint, I'll keep a lookout for a Vox AC30HW60.

I'm really digging the Bassman and will open 'er up this weekend!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-31-2021, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Glad you're still lovin' it! You have enough amps to try some stereo...
Yeah, Song, that El Capistan will sure do the trick and I'll give it a go this weekend!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 09-02-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
FWIW I routinely practice at home through high-power amps
you'll appreciate the substantial dynamic range and headroom
Exactly for that reason my best home playing amps are my old DR103 Hiwatts,
full and rich sound even at the quietest volume
nothing lets the true sound of you guitar come out like that

Second are 5E7 by Mark Baier, and a 68 replica 1987 50W Plexi from Bobby Smith (RJS Amps) with Merren trannies and NOS caps .. these sound great too at ANY volume...
Old 09-02-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Clint, I'll keep a lookout for a Vox AC30HW60.

I'm really digging the Bassman and will open 'er up this weekend!
Since I am somewhat of a tube amp snob, I was wondering about the quality of the Chinese made Voxes. But I auditioned more than a few of them, and they all sounded great. But what really got me was the build quality. And I liked them so much that I bought a A15HW1X.

Yep, the build quality is GREAT. The turret board is ridiculously cleanly wired, and the components are all top notch. I can rail on this amp and not a vibration to be heard!

I compared this directly with my buddy's English made AC15 and it was all the amp that the English amp was. Actually both of us preferred my amp. I typically never advocate buying Chinese made tube amps, but I wholly endorse this one. Vox has setup these Chinese factories to deliver the goods!

Just take a look between how the Chinese Vox is built compared to the Bassman LTD, and you tell me which one you would trust more...

VOX AC15HW1X

Fender Tweed Bassman LTD

But be forewarned about Vox amps, they are HEAVY, ridiculously heavy for what they are. My AC15HW1x is at least a 50lb'r. And, they are loud, I was astonished at how loud this 15 watter gets!

Unless it's the Chinese politics that are bothering you, I wouldn't worry about buying one of the Chinese Handwired series Voxes.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 09-03-2021 at 01:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars