The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2021, 05:59 AM

Default Best smaller sized guitars?

hello, I hope this is an acceptable inquiry. My daughter (21) has been playing an Alvarez A7 parlor guitar for 6 years. She is only 5' 1.5" and this fits her stature. As her burgeoning career has progressed (she had to cancel 19 shows last March) she wants to move up to a better sounding guitar that still fits her frame. She has looked at the usual suspects (GS mini, Baby, etc.) but I thought I would throw out this out for everyday players' advice. She is in Nashville so finding a guitar to audition will not be an issue She does singer/songwriter Americanna stuff and doesn't use a pick. Thanks so much for any advice!
Old 04-01-2021, 06:07 AM

It is difficult to tell just from her height. Everyone is different. She will have opportunities to try different models out. The question will be what she is comfortable playing and what will dad be comfortable paying.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-01-2021, 06:18 AM

Jeez, being in Nashville, she can go try just about anything. Lucky her. If I were a singer/songwriter and gigging out a lot, I'd want something with a really good pickup system. I might look at a Maton. Any of the 808 variants are smaller body guitars and might fit the bill.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Reading between the lines - you aren't looking at Collings or Santa Cruz budget, so I'd readily recommend that you investigate Eastman E10 or E20 (depending on whether you like mahogany or rosewood tone, in size "P" which means a size "0" or "00"

These are excellent interpretations of small body concert and grand concert 12 fret guitars.

https://youtu.be/NEoTLQL7AaE
Old 04-01-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldanielstn View Post
hello, I hope this is an acceptable inquiry. My daughter (21) has been playing an Alvarez A7 parlor guitar for 6 years. She is only 5' 1.5" and this fits her stature. As her burgeoning career has progressed (she had to cancel 19 shows last March) she wants to move up to a better sounding guitar that still fits her frame. She has looked at the usual suspects (GS mini, Baby, etc.) but I thought I would throw out this out for everyday players' advice. She is in Nashville so finding a guitar to audition will not be an issue She does singer/songwriter Americanna stuff and doesn't use a pick. Thanks so much for any advice!
Given that information I'd think seriously about a Martin mahogany 00.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-dark-mahogany

Order one for yourself and if she instantly falls in love with it then you can tell her it's hers. Otherwise, enjoy it yourself.

There are other options around that size and price like the Guild M-20. Made in the US and the real deal.

For a performer both of those instruments would have serious street cred. I have a 00 mahogany that I built a few years ago that I really like. It has a K&K Pure Mini installed and is the ideal instrument for what I play.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

I can highly recommend she try a Martin Dread Jr. Scaled down dread size, but a pretty big tone with a 24" scale. I've been gigging mine for the past few months and it's super comfortable to play.
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...es/DJr-10.html
Certainly not the best, but a very good, affordable player.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Also don't get hung up on finding one with a factory pickup installed because you can usually do a lot better than the factory pickup for not much more money. The main thing is you want her to be able to get a nice sound just by plugging in and playing. A K&K is a great choice on the lower end of the cost spectrum or if she wants to have a little more control at her fingertips look into a Baggs Anthem.

As far as guitars go, I really like my Martin 000's. I'm currently gigging a 000-17 and a 000-15 Streetmaster. Very thin and comfortable to play for a smaller size person.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-01-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

Order one for yourself and if she instantly falls in love with it then you can tell her it's hers. Otherwise, enjoy it yourself.

There are other options around that size and price like the Guild M-20. Made in the US and the real deal.

For a performer both of those instruments would have serious street cred. I have a 00 mahogany that I built a few years ago that I really like. It has a K&K Pure Mini installed and is the ideal instrument for what I play.
I'm with Rudy here - the 0015 Martin is a honey. It's tone and volume are all out of proportion to it's small stature.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:03 AM

I 2nd the Martin Dread Jr. Although, I haven't played it plugged-in. Worth a look.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:12 AM

I would think that either an 00 or a 000 (with a short scale) would be a darn good choice. I knew a fellow who was quite small and had short arms, and his Martin 000 proved to be quite workable for him, but gave him the full sound that he desired. A Martin would be a fine option, of course. And I love my Collings C10-35, but that would be a spendy choice. Eastman comes to mind as a more budget friendly option than Martin or Collings.

I second the idea of adding an after market pick up. I like K&K pure minis, but there are other good options. And she can add a small pre-amp if she gets to the point where she really wants to shape her sound (I don't currently utilize a pre-amp, and am content with the sound I get from the pick-up plugged into my Fishman amp.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:33 AM

I still like my Taylor 12 fret. The sky is the limit if you go custom. There was a nice Spohn 00 posted last week.

Being able as small as the OP's daughter, technique is critical to getting the most out of playing guitar with a small frame and small hands. I highly suggest reading up on classical technique.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:53 AM

Hmmm. Given the location (Nashville) and the genre of music, I'd say that you should have a look at a small-bodied Gibson. Some sort of L-00 or LG-2.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:09 AM

Being in Nashville the world is your oyster. Have a budget in mind.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-01-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
I'm with Rudy here - the 0015 Martin is a honey. It's tone and volume are all out of proportion to it's small stature.

I'll third that recommendation. Martin 15-series guitars are shockingly good for such affordable instruments (USA-made too!), and their intimate, mellow voicing should make it a superb choice for a singer and finger-style player.

Furthermore, I would strongly encourage the use of Martin Retro monels on that guitar.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 04-01-2021, 09:19 AM

Eastman makes some insanely nice 00 models with reasonable scale lengths. Showing up for an audition with a travel guitar rarely works out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
americanna, fingerstlyle, small bodied