The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-14-2020, 02:46 PM

Default X20-7 question

I just asked Emerald this question, but thought I would try here too.

I currently play an X20 tuned open Cm (CGCEbGC)

I am looking to add a lower G to this. The X20-7 adds the low B and I am curious if the low B can tune down to a low G and still be playable (vs too floppy and low tension)

Anyone out there with an X20-7 willing to drop the low string 2 full steps and check if it is playable?

I appreciate it.

-B
Old 03-14-2020, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcopeland8900 View Post
I just asked Emerald this question, but thought I would try here too.

I currently play an X20 tuned open Cm (CGCEbGC)

I am looking to add a lower G to this. The X20-7 adds the low B and I am curious if the low B can tune down to a low G and still be playable (vs too floppy and low tension)

Anyone out there with an X20-7 willing to drop the low string 2 full steps and check if it is playable?

I appreciate it.

-B
I just tried this. I've been experimenting with dropping the low B down to an A recently - it's okay, but the intonation is getting a bit iffy with the standard .068 B string. Down to G, it's floppy as heck, buzzes a lot, and really beginning to lose a lot of definition in the sound.

I really don't think I'd describe it as 'playable'

Starting with the factory gauge strings, I think you could make ADADFAD (i.e. open Dm) work quite nicely with a slightly heavier 7th or try your Cm with an Eb on top, like this - CGCEbGCEb. That would work like a charm, but not really what you are looking for.

I've got a set of Elixirs with an .070 7th - but I'm not ready for a string change right now, unfortunately.

HTH,
David
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-14-2020, 04:01 PM

Ill need to check in monday when i get to my desk, but i think you should be able to achieve if you for for a .72 gauge string assuming you have a fan fret configuration, this should keep normal tenison.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I just tried this. I've been experimenting with dropping the low B down to an A recently - it's okay, but the intonation is getting a bit iffy with the standard .068 B string. Down to G, it's floppy as heck, buzzes a lot, and really beginning to lose a lot of definition in the sound.

I really don't think I'd describe it as 'playable'

Starting with the factory gauge strings, I think you could make ADADFAD (i.e. open Dm) work quite nicely with a slightly heavier 7th or try your Cm with an Eb on top, like this - CGCEbGCEb. That would work like a charm, but not really what you are looking for.

I've got a set of Elixirs with an .070 7th - but I'm not ready for a string change right now, unfortunately.

HTH,

David
Thank you.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Emerald View Post
Ill need to check in monday when i get to my desk, but i think you should be able to achieve if you for for a .72 gauge string assuming you have a fan fret configuration, this should keep normal tenison.
Thank you. I look forward to what you find out Monday. I believe x20-7 is fan fret by default so that shouldn't be a problem.

-B
Old 03-14-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcopeland8900 View Post
Thank you. I look forward to what you find out Monday. I believe x20-7 is fan fret by default so that shouldn't be a problem.

-B
It is indeed - 27" on the bass side, 25.5" on the treble.

Far be it from me to disagree with Simon, but I think you'd need to go to 28" for a .072 to be usable tuned to A.

Then, of course, you have the challenge of finding someone who can actually make that string for you.

Newtone in the UK seems to be one of the few viable options - I'm eagerly awaiting a custom set for my X20-7 as I write this.

Curt Mangan here in the US can do a .070, but nothing fatter at this point.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-14-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Far be it from me to disagree with Simon, but I think you'd need to go to 28" for a .072 to be usable tuned to A.
You may well be right. Id be curious to find out regardless! Maybe someone else has tried it and will weigh in!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber