The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-03-2020, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Dave. Look forward to hearing more about it. And let me know when you want to change your user name.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Congratulations, Dave. Look forward to hearing more about it. And let me know when you want to change your user name.

A new name is in order... good idea
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-03-2020, 07:58 AM

I didn't think it had a truss rod? If it does it is not adjustable. There isn't a TRC on the headstock end. The guitars ship with 2 saddles for medium and low action, and I asked the shop owner about it- he confirmed no truss rod? Of course he is primarily a vintage electric guru and his knowledge/ enthusiasm about acoustic guitars was in his wooden models. The necks will not move, and I wouldn't hesitate to drop 3K+ on it without an adjustable rod- it will survive anything.

Fit and finish the guitar is immaculate.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
LOL! My heart still belongs to a D-28. But, I am a fairly open minded traditionalist. I suspect I'll end up with a number of different brands in the end.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I didn't think it had a truss rod? If it does it is not adjustable. There isn't a TRC on the headstock end. The guitars ship with 2 saddles for medium and low action, and I asked the shop owner about it- he confirmed no truss rod? Of course he is primarily a vintage electric guru and his knowledge/ enthusiasm about acoustic guitars was in his wooden models. The necks will not move, and I wouldn't hesitate to drop 3K+ on it without an adjustable rod- it will survive anything.

My understanding is that it does not have a reinforcement rod, based on the video I watched. It appears to use a structural lattice of carbon in the center of the carbon neck. The young's modulus of this carbon layup is significantly higher than steel or wood. That means the "elasticity" or ability to resist deflection is higher than a neck made of steel. I'm curious what that means in practical use. But, I am very excited because the guitar will arrive tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
My understanding is that it does not have a reinforcement rod, based on the video I watched. It appears to use a structural lattice of carbon in the center of the carbon neck. The young's modulus of this carbon layup is significantly higher than steel or wood. That means the "elasticity" or ability to resist deflection is higher than a neck made of steel. I'm curious what that means in practical use. But, I am very excited because the guitar will arrive tomorrow.
I wanted an older Rainsong with the N1 (no truss rod) neck but hesitated for years because I had concerns about the lack of adjust-ability. I finally found one that was in great shape and decided to take the chance. That guitar is about 13 years old and the relief is dead on perfect. I have absolutely no concerns about a CF guitar with non adjustable truss rod
Old 03-03-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

The McPherson truss rod is not adjustable according to Larry in the video I mentioned. I will see if I can find that video. At about 5:43 in the video, he talks about the neck, and Larry specifically refers to the "truss rod". He says that the "carbon neck" is "twice as stiff as steel".

It seems that when we hear the word "truss rod" we always assume it is adjustable. This is not the first time I have heard of a guitar having a truss rod that was not adjustable, though I can't remember what guitar(s) that was in reference to since I wasn't overly concerned since I didn't own, nor was planning to purchase, whatever guitars being discussed.

Based on Larry saying that the guitar does have a truss rod and also that the neck is completely carbon fiber, I don't know if the truss rod is a separate object from the rest of the neck or if it is somehow a part of the neck. He doesn't seem to make that distinction.

Larry also says, earlier in the video that the EVO material for the frets is "4 times harder than nickel" fret material. He doesn't make a comparison to stainless steel.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I would bet that when you get your guitar, all this discussion about truss rods and such won't matter because you will be into your new guitar.

It is only in forums such as this, or if something goes wrong with the guitar, that these things become an issue. I seriously doubt that anything will go wrong with your new guitar, but am also just as certain that these issues will continue to be front and center in forums.

Congratulations and may you enjoy many hours, weeks, and years playing it.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-03-2020, 04:52 PM

These guys could probably make anything sound good, but man they sound great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk70...em-uploademail
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-03-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post

Two very fine players on two very fine sounding guitars!

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-03-2020, 05:39 PM

How does it sound in a mix?

Note there is no bass player either I love this guitar and can't believe it wasn't on my radar.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How does it sound in a mix?

Note there is no bass player either I love this guitar and can't believe it wasn't on my radar.
Sounds good - but, in an ensemble like that, it's tough to focus on a particular guitar's attributes. I think the guy in the middle, in particular, would sound way better with heavier strings and getting rid of that awful clicky pick - he's not doing that McPherson any favours, and might just as well be playing anything.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-03-2020, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post

That was truly tasty! (note that I am way to old to say "boss" )
Old 03-03-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-03-2020, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I think the word these days is "It's dope" which has a different meaning to me. A child of the 60's.

Good playing, thanks for posting the videos !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber