The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-29-2020, 05:43 PM

Default NGD: McPherson Sable: First Carbon Fiber

I went to the guitar store to play some carbon fiber guitars finally. I played a number of Rainsong models to see which ones I liked the best. It turns out I like the new Vintage Series the best. I liked them enough to consider one in the future. Before I left, I picked up a McPherson Sable. I have never played one.

In a word... wow.

I was not prepared to fall for a carbon fiber instrument. But, these things just sing. And, that bass was amazing. How can you get that much bass out of a box like that? Physics no longer applies? I played it for more than an hour and the time slipped way. Just like when I bought my Authentic, recently. It was a similar experience.

I wasn’t prepared to buy another instrument so close to the last one! So, I went home and sulked. My wife knew by dinner time that I had “guitar brain.” So, I sheepishly admitted I played something different and it floored me. She was not impressed. Much dishwashing ensued on my part.

Nevertheless, I must have looked pitiful the following days because she suggested I go back and retrieve it. Unfortunately, I had to work late so it was a no-go for Friday. I went into work today (Saturday) for a special project and decided I would go to the shop after work and buy the guitar. I checked the website and... It sold...

What?!

So, I called the shop and they said they’d call Monday and have another shipped overnight to them. I can come retrieve it on Tuesday. So, if it sounds as good as the one I played, it will be my first non-wood, non-golden era inspired instrument in many moons. I presume they are consistent because of the materials and construction?

I even liked the LR Baggs pickup and medium low action, which is blasphemy. It’s a fact (in my world) that undersaddle pickups ruin tone. Physics no longer applies, again?

At least they have the good taste to ship it with 13s. :-)

EDIT: After a week, I received my Sable. It's great.

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-06-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Great story...congrats on a great guitar. Did you get the gold honeycomb version?
Old 02-29-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Great story...congrats on a great guitar. Did you get the gold honeycomb version?

Thanks! That’s what I played and evidently what will be ordered.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:54 PM
Guest 928

This is so sad. A gateway guitar to a whole new level of luthery. And now the user will have to take a peek at other options, like Blackbird, Emerald, and Journey. He's going to have a lot of dishwashing in his future.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:16 PM

Was just playing my Sable a bit ago..I do really like it.,.,a lot!! Alas... it is not the honey come like my and Tony's Touring ... But I still like it
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-29-2020, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! I enjoyed "the moment of discovery"! Yes, CF is pretty darn consistent, though there may be some difference in the set up from one to another.

You may have to add a couple initials to your forum name! (CFmartingitdave... see what I did there? )
Old 02-29-2020, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

A Sable is a Sable is a Sable...whether honeycomb, basket weave, or plain.

You can't go wrong with a Sable.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-29-2020, 07:37 PM

Congrats Dave and welcome to the carbon fiber world. I also suggest trying to do some laundry. Coupled with the dishes it'll help you get back in the good books quicker!
Old 02-29-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Congrats Dave and welcome to the carbon fiber world. I also suggest trying to do some laundry. Coupled with the dishes it'll help you get back in the good books quicker!

Brother, I done some laundry, and some mopping, and some toilets, and some cooking... ;-). Thinking she might have gotten the better end of the deal.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
A Sable is a Sable is a Sable...whether honeycomb, basket weave, or plain.

You can't go wrong with a Sable.

Tony

Love it! My father had one. It was miserable.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:56 PM

Default Incoming NGD: First Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Was just playing my Sable a bit ago..I do really like it.,.,a lot!! Alas... it is not the honey come like my and Tony's Touring ... But I still like it

Very cool. I have never played anything but the honeycomb with gold hardware. I assume the all sound similar, but I didn’t want to tempt fate even though I prefer the nickel hardware.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
This is so sad. A gateway guitar to a whole new level of luthery. And now the user will have to take a peek at other options, like Blackbird, Emerald, and Journey. He's going to have a lot of dishwashing in his future.

Ha! I played the journey and the Blackbird. Very nice. But it was the sable that caught my attention, for whatever reason. The Emerald X30 seems like it would be my Jam too. But the feel of the Sable was excellent.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I went to the guitar store to play some carbon fiber guitars finally. I played a number of Rainsong models to see which ones I liked the best. It turns out I like the new Vintage Series the best. I liked them enough to consider one in the future. Before I left, I picked up a McPherson Sable. I have never played one.

In a word... wow.

I was not prepared to fall for a carbon fiber instrument. But, these things just sing. And, that bass was amazing. How can you get that much bass out of a box like that? Physics no longer applies? I played it for more than an hour and the time slipped way. Just like when I bought my Authentic, recently. It was a similar experience.

I wasn’t prepared to buy another instrument so close to the last one! So, I went home and sulked. My wife knew by dinner time that I had “guitar brain.” So, I sheepishly admitted I played something different and it floored me. She was not impressed. Much dishwashing ensued on my part.

Nevertheless, I must have looked pitiful the following days because she suggested I go back and retrieve it. Unfortunately, I had to work late so it was a no-go for Friday. I went into work today (Saturday) for a special project and decided I would go to the shop after work and buy the guitar. I checked the website and... It sold...

What?!

So, I called the shop and they said they’d call Monday and have another shipped overnight to them. I can come retrieve it on Tuesday. So, if it sounds as good as the one I played, it will be my first non-wood, non-golden era inspired instrument in many moons. I presume they are consistent because of the materials and construction?

I even liked the LR Baggs pickup and medium low action, which is blasphemy. It’s a fact (in my world) that undersaddle pickups ruin tone. Physics no longer applies, again?

At least they have the good taste to ship it with 13s. :-)
Congrats! I am so digging that Sable honeycomb with the gold evo frets and gold tuners. If I ever add another CF guitar to the stable it will be this one. It is my personal assessment that this is the highest quality product out there right now for carbon fiber (build-wise). My research says that it is also the most wood-like sounding CF out there.

I love your reference to your wife. I just went through that myself with a new wooden guitar purchase I just made today. Mine went slightly differently in that it basically ended with me reminding her about the “for better or worse” part of the deal, but yeah...lol

I almost just bought this guitar in recent days and decided to hold off in favour of an OM body wood that I have had my eye on for some time now.

Congrats again! I think you made the best choice possible all things considered....my opinion only...

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-29-2020, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Love it! My father had one. It was miserable.
I can definitely assure you that the McPherson Sable will be a great choice. Mine is the honeycomb with the gold EVO frets and gold Schaller tuners. That is called the "gold package". Great guitars regardless of what package you choose.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-29-2020, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Congrats! I am so digging that Sable honeycomb with the gold evo frets and gold tuners. If I ever add another CF guitar to the stable it will be this one. It is my personal assessment that this is the highest quality product out there right now for carbon fiber (build-wise). My research says that it is also the most wood-like sounding CF out there.

I love your reference to your wife. I just went through that myself with a new wooden guitar purchase I just made today. Mine went slightly differently in that it basically ended with me reminding her about the “for better or worse” part of the deal, but yeah...lol

I almost just bought this guitar in recent days and decided to hold off in favour of an OM body wood that I have had my eye on for some time now.

Congrats again! I think you made the best choice possible all things considered....my opinion only...

Cheers
You just described my Sable. Good choice!

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber