The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-09-2020, 03:53 PM

In a word, I had kids I wanted a guitar I could leave out and not worry about. A 2 yr old and a 4 yr old can inflict punishment! I've not worried since. They've hit my Rainsong with all manner of implements. Still looks as nice as the day I purchased it. Plus, with the desert so close by, I can take that guitar out there without any worries...camping, offroading, etc.
1966 Guild F-212
Old 03-09-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyschwag View Post
In a word, I had kids I wanted a guitar I could leave out and not worry about. A 2 yr old and a 4 yr old can inflict punishment! I've not worried since. They've hit my Rainsong with all manner of implements. Still looks as nice as the day I purchased it. Plus, with the desert so close by, I can take that guitar out there without any worries...camping, offroading, etc.
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-09-2020, 06:23 PM
Guest 928

I bought my first CF guitar (A cargo), in part, because I was bored. I had just spent 5 years going through 40-some nylon string guitars and just about settled on my keeper.

And then I saw that Cargo. It was really different than anything I had tried and it had been a while since I gave steel strings a chance. Regretted it ever since.

Now I've been roped in by CA, Blackbird, Rainsong and Emerald. One thing leads to another.......................

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-09-2020 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 03-09-2020, 09:04 PM

Big brother is watching. I wish I had been a little quicker.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 03-09-2020, 10:49 PM

Thank you dbone
1966 Guild F-212
Old 03-10-2020, 06:46 AM

For me it was a combination of the need for a guitar that I could leave out, kid abuse and travel. I saw the Cargo raw at my local shop and was blown away by the size/sound. Always liked smaller guitars. Since then Blackbird, CA, Rainsong, Emerald, Outdoor Uke and McPherson have been kind enough to take my money multiple times :-). I have settled on my McPherson touring (blacked out) and Amicus for the past few years and been very happy!!!
Old 03-10-2020, 07:16 PM

I bought my first carbon fiber guitar because I work with children who like to touch my guitars. Once I bought one carbon fiber guitar and enjoyed it I have bought many others. I haven't given up wood but I am truly a cf fan.
barb
Old 03-10-2020, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Carbon fiber guitars have lots of plusses; but if I'm being honest, I'd have to say that my first Rainsong purchase was just plain curiosity...
Old 03-11-2020, 06:39 AM

I bought a Blackbird Rider in 2011 because I didn't want to worry about humidity and temp changes anymore...and I wanted my guitars to hang on the wall, where I could access them easily anytime. I then sold all my guitars and have been on a 10 year journey to discover the cf guitars that fit me perfectly. I currently have 2 custom Emerald X10s. I like them a lot, but their smaller size has my fingers and pick strumming over the fretboard a lot. I may sell them and try again...
Old 03-12-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Why buy a Carbon Fiber?

I bought my Rainsong WS1000 (N1) over 10 years ago as I was retiring and wanted a guitar to travel with that could be left in a hot or cold vehicle without worry. I have a decent stable of wood guitars but they don't tend to leave the house - the Rainsong goes to open mics and with me on longer trips. I am always surprised at the reaction at open mics. Great sounding guitar seems to be a constant comment followed by - what kind of guitar is it? It has been a conversation piece for sure. I wouldn't be without it.

Alvarez-Yairi 5065 (1973)
Alvarez-Yairi WY1-TSB
Breedlove Oregon Series Sweetgrass Burst CE (2020)
Furch G25 CR cut (2016)
Guild F-212XL (1982)
Rainsong WS1000 (N1)
Taylor 416 Baritone FOR SALE
Old 03-13-2020, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

I may have told this story here in the past...

We were in an RV park in Branson, MO, for a week. They had a sign on the office door "Jam Session Tonight". I let my wife talk me into going. I opened the door and it was like a scene from a movie: the place went dead quiet and every head in the place turned towards us.

There were three guys up front and a room full of people. Of the three guys, one was playing drums, one was playing a Telecaster, and a big guy in bib overalls was playing an old Taylor dread. Turns out, it wasn't what I consider a "jam session," but was these three guys playing for the crowd. The big guy in the bibs said, "Come on in - is that a guitar you've got there?"

I went in, opened the gig bag, and pulled out my Emerald X7. "What the heck kinda guitar is that?" I heard.

"It's an Emerald; made in Ireland."

"Is that fiberglass?" the big guy asked.

I said, "Well, it's carbon fiber..."

"So - fiberglass."

"Sure, let's call it fiberglass." Didn't seem to be the time or place to explain the nuance of carbon fiber.

Turns out these guys play there every week. A rarity that anyone else comes in with an instrument. The big guy asked, "What kind of music do you play?"

"Well, mostly rock 'n roll."

"You mean, like Elvis Presley?"

"Um, a bit newer than that, but, sure, I can play some Elvis if you want."

"We play country. Real country. Not that new crap. Mostly in G."

I could see right away that this was not going to be in my comfort zone. (insert understatement emoji here)

Then he said, "Well, let's see what you can do? Can you play leads?"

"I'll give it a try," I said. I plugged into their PA.

I played a lot of G-C-D that night. Sometimes C-F-G. They went with me on a rendition of Brown Eyed Girl... G-C-G-D, with an occasional Em thrown in just to be wild and crazy. Some of the crowd even sang along with the "Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la"s.

They asked if I wanted to play any of "Your kinda music by yourself,"

"Sure,"... I did Please Come To Boston and James Taylor's Country Road (the most country songs I do). The audience was nice with the applause.

When we wrapped things up, the big guy said, "That guitar sounds pretty good for fiberglass."

"Well, it's actually carb... thanks!"

Walking back to our motorhome, my wife said, "Well, that was kind of fun, wasn't it?"

"Uh huh." I don't think I swayed anyone towards carbon fiber that night.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:32 PM

Default Carbon love

I got really tired of baby sitting my expensive wood guitars. I first got a Composite Acoustics GX but now i have 2 Rainsongs and a couple of cheap wood guitars. Probably a Cargo in my future too.
d
Gretch Resonator
Old 03-23-2020, 07:18 AM

just wanted a great sounding and playing guitar I did not need to worry about Even better my Rainsong has no truss rod so there is even on less thing I need to adjust
Old 03-23-2020, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

They sound great! I've compared them to the best guitars out there. I just bought an X10 3/way Woody off Emeralds site yesterday. Lot's of looper fun with that and my other amps and a maybe a synth......!
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-25-2020, 05:31 PM

I had been searching for a parlour sized guitar for a few years, I don't usually like the mid heavy tone of them, even the expensive ones I tried were not for me. I very nearly bought a Taylor GS Mini in spruce and rosewood but resisted the temptation. Then I came across the Emerald X7 and really liked he look of them, finally found one in a retailer a couple of hundred miles away and bought it on spec, mail order knowing I could return it if I was not happy.

Suffice to say, when it arrived and I opened the gig bag, after two days in the tender hands of Parcelforce, took it out and played a G chord, it was in tune.

Soundwise it is great, distinctly different to my other guitars but a genuinely 'full' sound like a much bigger guitar. I bought a Rob Alward Selmer style around about the same time as I bought the X7 and they have been my favourite acoustics for about 5 years now, finally this year I'm starting to play my Eastwood and the D45 again but the X7 is still my goto for gigs and any acoustic style apart from Gypsy Jazz (actually it's great for rhythm but not quite so good for lead).

The X7 goes nearly everywhere with me 'cos its small, sounds great and is as nearly indestructible as a guitar can reasonable be, definitely a keeper.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber