The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-05-2020, 12:02 PM

Default FREE Custom IRs for Your Guitar and Its Pickup (Acoustic Guitar IR Impulse Response)

EDIT: You will find up to date documentation and the ability to download the IR generation script directly on this website:

http://justsoduo.com/?page_id=1956

Check out this AGF post for Doug Young’s demo of my IR (and Cuki’s):

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...3&postcount=12

The Easy Way to Generate a Custom IR for Your Guitar:

Email ([email protected]) me a Dropbox or Google Drive link to your recording.

If your .WAV file is less than 25 MB it can be sent as an email attachment. If you Zip up your recordings you can include several in a less than 25 MB email attachment.

Generating the IR takes only seconds in Matlab (longer in Octave). If you want, send a few recordings with different mic placements. I like 8” from the neck/body joint, but a more distant mic placement might make what is a better IR for your usage.
  1. .WAV file at least 60 seconds long (my program only uses the first 60 seconds of the recording)
  2. Pickup left, Mic right, set your DAW for the two to be about equal in volume
  3. No clipping
  4. Try to keep your peaks within 15 dB of clipping (decent SNR)
I like open position strumming followed by “E” bar chords going from F to C followed by a little fingerpicking. Play whatever you think best exhibits your playing style and instrument. I’m not sure it really matters. Doug Young’s recording was a fingerstyle tune with occasional strums. I won’t be listening to your recording so don’t worry about impressive playing :~).

I will send you back three IRs for each recording. They will be at the same sample rate as the recording you sent me. The one with 5050 in its file name will be 50% IR and 50% pickup for IR loaders that don’t have a mix function. The one with 1024 in its name is 100% IR and truncated to 1024 samples for cheaper IR loaders and experimentation with a shorter IR. The other IRs are truncated to 2048 samples.

The three most common errors users have encountered are:
  1. To forget to pan the pickup left and mic right when exporting the sample from their DAW.
  2. The sample WAV file is less than 60 seconds.
  3. If running the script themselves (see next section) they forget to enclose the name of the wave file in single quotes, or include the extension instead of just the wave file name.
The Do It Yourself Way:

EDIT: If using Octave seems unintuitive, check out this post for help: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...76&postcount=1

Download the free GNU math development environment Octave and follow the installation instructions:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

Download the Octave version of my IR generator:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mKO...ew?usp=sharing

Place your guitar pickup/mic recordings in the same directory as my script, jf45ir.m, and double clip (run) jf45ir.m. The GUI version of Octave will open in that directory. Alternately, after installing Octave, run the GUI version and change the current directory to the one in which you placed my script and your recordings.

If your recording is called mgit.wav, for example, then type the following in the Octave command window followed by a carriage return (don’t forget to include the single quotes before and after the file name and don’t include the ".wav" extension):
jf45ir('mgit')
Octave will then generate four files, three IRs plus a frequency plot of the 100% IR.

jf45irmgit.wav
jf45ir5050mgit.wav
jf45ir1024mgit.wav
FFTjf45irmgit.jpg

Let me know how you make out with the IR. To my mind it is a pretty brute force implementation, but it seems to produce useful results.

Thanks,
Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-05-2024 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:14 PM

You can also ask Jon for IR files made with my usual algorithm and my more recent «JonFields flavor» algorithm for which I stole one of Jon's idea and implemented it in my program.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-05-2020, 03:41 PM

OK, I'll bite (and display my complete ignorance at the same time)...

What the heck is an "IR"?
Old 02-05-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
OK, I'll bite (and display my complete ignorance at the same time)...

What the heck is an "IR"?
Thank you brother......I will take my place beside you in the ignorance line
Old 02-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Thank you brother......I will take my place beside you in the ignorance line
Ha!

IR = Impulse Response.

Basically it is a digital file that is created after the software 'listens' to your actual guitar through your actual pickup and an actual mic. Somehow, using diabolical magic of dubious origin, it creates a digital file that somewhat replicates the mic sound. Mics always sound better than pickups.

So if you have an 'IR Loader' like a ToneDexter, any number of Line 6 products, you can now play with a two source system - source one being your actual pickup, source two being the IR which generates an accurate guitar tone when you play.

In my case, I use the Line 6 Helix products and they allow you to split your signal, so I can plug in with one pickup, split the signal, have only the IR on the second 'channel' with its own EQ, gain setting etc and blend it back in with the pickup before output.

TL,DR: fancy modern tech that allows your guitar to sound better.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 02-05-2020, 04:28 PM

This is interesting, could you make a video walk through?
Old 02-05-2020, 04:59 PM

The impulse response is the acoustic signature of your guitar. Let say you hit briefly a glass. It wilk ring at his own resonant frequency. The impulse response is the ringing. It is the response to an impulse.

From it you can acutally predict the response of this glass to any excitation.

Similarly to the guitar, if you tap the guitar top and record its response (think first step of Baggs Soundscape learning process) you will capture its impulse response as a wav file.

If you then use a convolver pedal (like EPSI or torpedo Cab) to convolve thie IR with your piezo signal... the tone willbe more realistic.

Of course capturing an IR is a bit more complex than that if you wish to have the most accurate acoustic image of your guitar... but the main idea is here.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 02-05-2020, 06:09 PM

All I can say is great work Jon & Cuki and even greater that you took the time to share this with everyone.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:46 PM

Sorry for my poor english...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 02-06-2020, 07:23 AM

What I am offering is an alternative to the training process that requires a ToneDexter or Soundscape. You still need a pedal (I am using an HX Stomp) to load the IR for performance.

Today's loaders are either pedals like my HX and are more expensive than the better built ToneDexter, but do have many more features. The other option is a dedicated IR loader pedal. Today those pedals are either not quite capable enough for more than electric guitar amp cabinet emulation or nearly the price of a more capable ToneDexter.

Right now my IRs make sense for HX like pedal users and DAW plugins like Reaper's ReaVerb.

But cheaper more capable IR loaders will be coming to market shortly!

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-06-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:35 AM

One more thought. If you are considering one of the many super capable do it all electric guitar pedals for acoustic guitar then this plugs the only gap in their capability.

I tried some of the commercial IRs available on-line and I felt they didn't come close to a custom ToneDexter IR (wavemap) and that was the motivation to create custom IRs without requiring a ToneDexter or Soundscape.

Check out Doug Young's demo in the thread referenced above.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-06-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
One more thought. If you are considering one of the many super capable do it all electric guitar pedals for acoustic guitar then this plugs the only gap in their capability.

I tried some of the commercial IRs available on-line and I felt they didn't come close to a custom ToneDexter custom IR (wavemap).

Check out Doug Young's demo in the thread referenced above.
Agreed! I sold my electric pedals to buy the Line HX Effects. It was my all in one solution for acoustic and electric, thanks to the custom IRs Cuki made for me. I am selling the HX to buy the bigger brother Helix LT as I need the stereo preamp model that the bigger brother has. That, and the XLR out make for a one pedal solution. No need for a DI or separate acoustic preamp.

Now that you guys are offering software for me to make my own IRs, the AGF delight is complete. I often have friends wanting help with acoustic pickup installation etc. If I can learn to offer them what you guys are offering us, that will be huge.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 02-06-2020, 08:55 AM

Is this gnu thing Linux based. ? I will have to send you a wav. This is really
Beyond me.. I use a stomp in live performance and currently have the 3sigma
For a d45 and the Gibson f ir for my Ellis a5 mandolin. Generally at about
50 to 75 % I find 100 percent seems to have some undesirable artifacts.
I don’t generally record stuff so it may be awhile. But I’d love the irs from my own instruments...thanks much.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Is this gnu thing Linux based?
They support Linux, Windows 32 bit, Windows 64 bit, MAC, and Berkeley Unix. But I would be happy to run it for you. It is next to no work at all.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-06-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:39 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
They support Linux, Windows 32 bit, Windows 64 bit, MAC, and real Berkeley Unix. But I would be happy to run it for you. It is next to no work at all.
Thanks
It may be awhile I have a few ongoing projects I have to finish.
Like cleaning the house before my wife gets home from her trip

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification