The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-23-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Haha...perhaps I could have phrased that better. I had tried several other capos for the past couple of months (eg. Kyser, Shubb), with very poor results. The Amicus it seems is "unforgiving" if you try to get away with those capos, even with proper fretboard radius...in terms of tuning/intonation. Anyway, take what you will from my experience.

Best.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhturbo View Post
Haha...perhaps I could have phrased that better. I had tried several other capos for the past couple of months (eg. Kyser, Shubb), with very poor results. The Amicus it seems is "unforgiving" if you try to get away with those capos, even with proper fretboard radius...in terms of tuning/intonation. Anyway, take what you will from my experience.

Best.
Thanks for the follow up. Quick question as I been noodling on this also....does the capo fit nicely above the nut on the Amicus for storage? Alistair does some amazing work but not symmetrical which can be a problem with off the shelf products at times :-)
Old 03-24-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Yep, it does. Fits above the nut, just like it does on my other guitars.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:41 AM

Thank you!!
Old 04-07-2020, 07:57 AM

Default I'm curious..more on the strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhturbo View Post
Just wanted to drop a quick update. Last month, I ordered a custom Eliott capo for my Amicus and it arrived today!! It's the hybrid model. Works beautifully. And I can capo comfortably to the 5th fret, which is what I asked for when I ordered. I tune my Amicus to "A" using light gauge elixirs, which I would recommend if you dont want to tune to D with the non-octave strings. I love it. This is my 4th Elliott capo, but first custom order. Elliott capos rock. Yes, it's not cheap...but they are superior in performance. Trust me, I tried others...Attachment 34855
I have a beautiful Amicus Kosipo Woody. I've played around with different tunings but haven't really done any experimenting with different strings. From the pic and your description you are using a standard 12 string set and tuned down 5 semi-tones, right? What benefits do you derive from doing that? (Improved playability, sound, etc.) By the way I purchased the G7th Heritage capo. It works great and doesn't throw the instrument out of tune. Also a bit pricy though at $150.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Hi Triumph -- just responded to your PM. But, one thing i want to add here is that although I tune down 5 half-steps as you mentioned, the bigger octave strings on a standard 12-string set does make capo-ing more of a challenge. That would be the one thing to be aware of if you regularly use a capo on the Amicus. For me, the G7th doesn't do it for me in my scenario. I have to use a custom-built Elliott with special padding. I tried different capos for months before I finally found the one that works.

Having said that, the advantages (at least for me) of using regular strings and tuning to "A" far outweigh the minor issue with using a capo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber