The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-27-2020, 08:18 AM

Default Tony's reveiw of an x30 and my question

Here is the link to the video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNTtMs58WlU&t=6s

My questions is: Who also experiences the x30 or emerald like tony in which "trying to dig in to the guitar with a heavier pick it didn't come a alive, but finds that it is more responsive to a lighter touch"

As a heavy strummer who has been considering a Emerald, Is this experience a universal reaction? Who believe this is not true or agrees with this interpretation of how a Emerald reacts to heavy pics and strumming?

Kronbauer DRN Adi/HOG
Kronbauer DRN Adi/RW
Taylor 510 Limited 2003
Taylor 320e Limited Baritone 2014
RainSong Shorty SS 12fret
RainSong CO-DR1000NT
Mainland Ceder/RW tenor Uke.
Outdoor tenor Uke
Heywire Custom Swamp ash Strat
Old 03-27-2020, 09:59 AM

I have an X20, not an X30. With that caveat ... I do use heavy picks (2.0 mm) and prefer them. They work great on an X20. I mostly like the heavier picks because they are easier to keep a grip on, as I don’t hear much difference in tone between a 1.0 or 1.5 mm and 2.0 mm but find the 2.0 mm much easier to hold due to the extra thickness.

What doesn’t work on an X20 (for me at least, ymmv) is medium strings. Chokes up the top, less volume. I was surprised but the difference was clear, lights better for tone and volume on an X20. Not to mention easier to play.

With lights on an X20, and a firm picking hand, it’s definitely in the category of “loud guitars.”
Old 03-27-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I don't have an X30 anymore but a thinner pick makes the treble cut through the darker tone of the guitar. A heavy pick gives the "real" sonic signature of the X30 (in my opinion ).
Old 03-27-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
I don't have an X30 anymore but a thinner pick makes the treble cut through the darker tone of the guitar. A heavy pick gives the "real" sonic signature of the X30 (in my opinion ).
ooo, say more about this and why did you end up selling it.

Kronbauer DRN Adi/HOG
Kronbauer DRN Adi/RW
Taylor 510 Limited 2003
Taylor 320e Limited Baritone 2014
RainSong Shorty SS 12fret
RainSong CO-DR1000NT
Mainland Ceder/RW tenor Uke.
Outdoor tenor Uke
Heywire Custom Swamp ash Strat
Old 03-27-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

My X30 had a weird resonance around 150 Hz (D/D#) that I found annoying even if it was subtle. I wasn’t a big fan of the guitar for fingerpicking in general.
But if you like a big sound for strumming, a X30 is hard to beat!
Old 03-27-2020, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

I think each body size responds differently. I also don't have an X30, but my X20 responds well to a light or heavy touch - it just gets louder as you push it more. It took me a few days with it to get a feel for playing it quietly. This is my best "all around" guitar: good tone, kicks up when pushed, comfortable to play.

My X10 reacts differently: a light touch drives that guitar nicely. It seems to compress with a heavier push. No idea if the custom scale neck (24.6") I ordered makes any difference. It is a delightful guitar to play, but does seem a small bit quieter than my X7 with the same playing technique. Great balance from highs to lows.

My X7 is a previous generation. This smaller guitar loves to be pushed hard. It sounds fine played lightly, but just kicks when pushed harder. It makes me smile every time I pick it up.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I can definitely say that the guitar in that video, the X30, sounded quite impressive. I didn't find Tony's comments unusual in that with any guitar, you have to learn its ways. If I wasn't already well stocked in CF, that video would have tempted me.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-27-2020, 03:43 PM

Hi folks,

I hope you are all well and good.

Mr. Kramster asked me to view this thread and respond. Mr. Kramster also has his X30 on loan to me. What a guy!

After reading the "question" and then watching Tony's review, I did a "pick test."

I may be giving you some needless context leading up to my vague answer.

Normally I use a Dunlop Max Grip .88. Using that on the Amicus (another Kramser loan!), I kept breaking the 2 high strings when playing "Won't get Fooled Again" by the Who. I know, that's a whole other discussion...

I decided to order some Dunlop .73's and .60's to cure the breakage.

That worked. I found myself leaning more on the .73's for the Amicus as the .60 feels too thin for my playing style.

Now, in trying the .60 and .73 on the X30, my initial reaction is that the .60 does seem to make the strings "snap" more and perhaps may be a little louder than the .73 and .88.

That is sitting down. Standing, it seems the thinner pics are not as loud. Of course, my ears are farther away from the guitar, and that could have something to do with it...or not...

As well, my own ears, after 68 years, have their own nuances and frequency challenges. They must, as I'm drawn to Bose products.

In conclusion, the subtle differences in pick thickness, as regards the X30 may not overcome the comfort I have with using a thicker pick due to my playing style.

Sorry if my response has you lamenting that you'll never get these few minutes back.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
What doesn’t work on an X20 (for me at least, ymmv) is medium strings. Chokes up the top, less volume. I was surprised but the difference was clear, lights better for tone and volume on an X20. Not to mention easier to play.
This is interesting to me, because I have an old (center hole) X7 that I have never been happy with when it's wearing light strings. It only came alive with medium or heavy strings and a new, bone nut. With light strings, it felt 'floppy', and I was getting a lot of funny sounds from the strings against the hollow neck. However, raising the action a bit with the bone nut and using .13s or .14s and I can really dig in and get some volume.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:14 PM

I have an X20 and an X30. I don't know how much help this will be to you but I'll add it anyways. I use Dunlop 0.6 mm Tortex picks. I never could jive with heavier picks. I find the 0.6 to be a good compromise for hopping between different guitars, including electrics, for picking and strumming. I'm also not a heavy strummer. There are some songs that I play that I really dig in on such as Pinball Wizard. I think that sounds amazing on the X30. IMO the X30 really excels at strumming. If I had access to heavy picks I would love to give them a go for you but due to the current state of things that won't be anytime soon.

Regarding Bluestarfish's comments on strings I would like to add a little. On the X20, I also found lighter strings to work better. Bluegrass gauge are my favorite gauge of string and they don't work for me on the X20. They do work great on the X30. Currently I have my X20 strung up with D'addario nickel bronze light balanced tension (12-52) and that makes the X20 sing. It's currently louder than my X30 which is strung up with D'addario EXP 80/20's bluegrass gauge. Yes you read that correctly. I have on order some bluegrass gauge nickel bronze for the X30 but haven't received them yet likely due to the current situation. Ya know, I just can't have the X20 being louder than the X30 can I...no sir I cannot.

In my experience so far with my Emerald guitars I can conclude that they react totally different to strings than my wooden guitars. Not only brand but gauge as well. I wonder if Tony Polecastro tried different types of strings on the X30 would he reach the same conclusion.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanfishkind View Post
Hi folks,

Using that on the Amicus (another Kramser loan!), I kept breaking the 2 high strings when playing "Won't get Fooled Again" by the Who. I know, that's a whole other discussion...
Now that is an interesting use of the Amicus!!! WIll have to try some Who on this rainy Boston day... thank you for the suggestion...!
Old 03-30-2020, 06:20 AM

The only volume issue I have with my X30 has to do with the angled sound port. When playing softly it seems like most of the sound comes up at the player. When I let others play it, I always tell em 'play it like you stole it' to maximize projection.

That may have been some of what Tony was hearing. It's not that there's less overall volume when you dig in harder, the angle of dispersion seems to change. During hard playing the player receives a smaller percentage of the total volume, compared to receiving a larger percentage when playing lightly.

Either way, I love getting a facefull of goodness that washes over you.

Maybe some day Tony will get to try a fan fret X30. That may slightly rock his world.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 03-30-2020, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

I use heavy picks, all of them 2mm-4mm. I strum pretty hard, like acoustic Who and most old vintage rock and pick/lead. The X30 is still the best guitar I've ever heard. I think that because of the incredible lows the guitar can produce, you strum it differently than other guitars. Where you bear down on the lower strings to get the bass on most guitars, you don't have to with the X30. So, if you don't have control of your strumming, I can see how a thinner pick would solve a bassy problem. I have an X10 on the way also.....
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-30-2020, 08:08 AM

The comments on that video page are interesting.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 03-30-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
The comments on that video page are interesting.
The nicest people are on AGF.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber