The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-18-2020, 06:26 AM

Default Takamine Transducer pickup

So the aux blend knob on my new Takamine P5DC looked all alone on the end slid down to the "ineffective" position, so I ordered the Takamine brand transducer pickup. Anything I should know about it? I can only imagine how fantastic the guitar will sound once that is installed too.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:12 PM

What's the pickup?

I know they did a version of the Baggs mag (m1a, I think) which was.... Mmm, or is it a retro-fit (UST or) SBT?

[Edit]

Oops, posting before researching - it's an SBT which is "An easy and affordable add-on at RRP$179.95" (more Mmm...).

I love Taks, I've never played a bad one that hasn't been the fault of some numpty abusive owner and I've played some beauties.

Enjoy.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 03-18-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:59 PM

Let us know how it sounds please!
I also play a P5dc (I have the ct-3 cool tube & ct4-dx preamp) and really want to know if the SBT make it sound better.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisk012 View Post
Let us know how it sounds please!
I also play a P5dc (I have the ct-3 cool tube & ct4-dx preamp) and really want to know if the SBT make it sound better.
So far so good. I haven't tried it through a PA system yet, but through a crappy bass practice amp I can tell that the percussive sounds are there now. I'll be trying it through my Yamaha Stagepas 1k soon.

(Update)
So after playing over an hour, LOUD, through the Stagepas 1K, plugged directly into channel 2, my observations are that the P5DC sounds good without an auxiliary pickup, but still has a minute amount of that piezo quack, and personally, I hate the piezo quack sound. The additional transducer pickup blended in will overpower and cover up that piezo sound, while creating (to my ears) a more natural sounding amplified guitar tone. I am so glad I got and installed the pickup. I fear that I would have been underwhelmed by the plugged in tone, otherwise. My Yamaha ART-equipped guitars have really got me spoiled when it comes to plugged in tone. With the transducer pickup, and the CT3 preamp, the Takamine now sounds as good (or better) than my Yamaha FGX730SC and/or LLX6A plugged in.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 03-21-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:05 AM

Great, so it is definitely an improvement with the soundboard transducer? Is the installation easy to do yourself?
Old 03-23-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Great, so it is definitely an improvement with the soundboard transducer? Is the installation easy to do yourself?
Huge improvement! Very easy installation, aside from trying to zip tie the excess wire. The "sweet spot" is on the treble side of the bridge in a corner near the brace. Peel off the backing and stick and hold for a second into place. I have relatively large hands and had no problem getting my hand in there for the install.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:57 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to order it :-)
Old 03-27-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to order it :-)
Let us know how you like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification