The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-17-2020, 07:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
Excellent review! I appreciate the detail.
Tim, Can you share with us the brand, type, and gauge of the strings installed on each guitar?
Thanks
Hi James,
Good to hear from you, it’s been a Long time. The Cherry guitar had GHS phosphor bronze 12/54 and the Reecho did too but I wasn’t totally pleased with the way they sounded so I put on DR Rare’s in 12/54. That’s the strings that were on them when Rodger recorded them.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

What a fantastic build thread Tim ... and of course a couple of stunning instruments. That disk suspended between the top and back is a wonderful idea, and it sounds like it was a great success. Congrats!
Old 03-18-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
And .... drum roll please!

Finally some audio from the Reecho. Audio 1 | Audio 2 | Audio 3

1. Sassy
2. The Water is Wide - Solo
3. The Water is Wide - Rhythm

Thanks very much to Rodger for his playing prowess. I will let him weigh in with the recording equipment info. But these are raw audio with no enhancement.
Sounds great my friend!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 03-19-2020, 06:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
What a fantastic build thread Tim ... and of course a couple of stunning instruments. That disk suspended between the top and back is a wonderful idea, and it sounds like it was a great success. Congrats!
Thanks David. The project was a total success IMHO but keep in mind that it is only a sample of one ... so far. I do intend to build more and have high expectations of equal success. Give it a try and let me know what you think if you have a really dead set squirreled away.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Default another try with the sound experiment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Try putting a towel under the back in the case.
So, finally back from overseas...no COVID-19 thankfully.
I did the experiment again on the bedspread...and yes! There is a difference with my Maple/Cedar Goodall. It's not profound by any means, but a fuller sound with more reverberation when it is lifted off the bed. But I can see how more vibration from the right double back would help. I do also note that I don't play with the guitar tucked against my body so much....
There's a few double backed guitars I've seen - one with holes in the back to let the sound out...looks strange!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 03-24-2020, 06:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
So, finally back from overseas...no COVID-19 thankfully.
I did the experiment again on the bedspread...and yes! There is a difference with my Maple/Cedar Goodall. It's not profound by any means, but a fuller sound with more reverberation when it is lifted off the bed. But I can see how more vibration from the right double back would help. I do also note that I don't play with the guitar tucked against my body so much....
There's a few double backed guitars I've seen - one with holes in the back to let the sound out...looks strange!
HI Jeff and welcome back. Glad you found time to try my suggested experiment. Your results are what I was hoping to read from you and others.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:20 AM

Hey Tim,

Been away for a few weeks, so I had to go back through a few pages to catch up on the thread. Congrats on what appears to be a great conclusion to your Reecho project. The guitars look great. The lighting of the red flamed finish shots seems a little warm and dim, so I am wondering how that back looks with more lighting. I love the treatment but am wondering how truly dark the finish is. I listened to the audio clips through my crummy laptop speaker. The samples make the Reecho sound like you turbocharged the overtones and sustain. Is that your take as well?

What a fun project and cool you could take time out to experiment with this. Also appreciate you sharing.

ken
Old 03-30-2020, 10:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Casper View Post
Hey Tim,

I love the treatment but am wondering how truly dark the finish is. I listened to the audio clips through my crummy laptop speaker. The samples make the Reecho sound like you turbocharged the overtones and sustain. Is that your take as well?
ken
Hi Ken,
The color (on my monitor) is fairly representative of what the guitar looks like in real life. I am not much of a photographer though.

The sustain has dramatically increased as have the overtones. I started out with one of the deadest sets of wood that I have ever encountered so I am going to call this project a complete success knowing what I started with. Its only a sample size of one but I do plan to build more using my Reecho technology on some other dead sets. I think it might be tremendous overkill for a B&S set with low damping characteristics though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop