The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-19-2021, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

It amazes me how expensive these things are - but I do really like using one -
Old 12-20-2021, 04:51 AM

Sonic Airstep
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 12-20-2021, 07:52 AM

I don't want to be wearing reading glasses while playing (as then everything else is blurry!), so have all my PDFs (using MobileSheets) in 26 font, so page advancing is needed! I too find it annoying watching/listening to people who pause their playing to advance the screen.
I got a Chinese page-turner from amazon, lasted less than 2 years before the 'forward' button stopped working. So I got this Chinese one in August: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 will see how long it lasts. One thing - this one does not switch to the next song in the playlist via the 'forward' button, for whatever reason.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-20-2021, 06:57 PM

Yes, the Air turn BT200 I have is flawless and always works correctly or I would try a different one.
Old 12-20-2021, 07:13 PM

I use the 4 pedal Airturn with no complaints
Old 12-21-2021, 03:18 PM

AirTurn Duo 200 is the best I've used. Completely silent operation, rock solid, battery lasts forever. It even got submerged at a surprise backyard party torrent of a rainstorm and once dried out worked fine again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I know this isn't about "amplification," but this is where the folks who gig hang out.

Any recommendations for a page-turner pedal to use with an iPad?
Old 12-21-2021, 03:21 PM

I'm very curious... as I'm thinking about moving to the 4 pedal version... what do you have all 4 buttons programmed to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I use the 4 pedal Airturn with no complaints
Old 12-21-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
It amazes me how expensive these things are - but I do really like using one -
There are ways to turn a wired or wireless numeric keypad into a page-turner. Youtube descriptions tells how for about $10. You can reprogram the keys to do just about anything you want.

I was going to do that but a friend beat me to it with an Airturn as a gift.

Only problem with the Airturn is that it (in the way I have it set up), moves up or down one line at a time (as opposed to one page at a time). I would like to have it programmed to "cursor down" and "cursor up" 8 lines at a time (or other numbers of lines of my choice).
Old 12-21-2021, 04:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
My choice is the Airturn BT200S-2. It is the size of a standard Boss pedal and in fact fits well on a pedal board. Or you can just use it by itself. It is rechargeable and pretty much does one thing and does it well, turns pages. I've used mine now for seven years.

"AirTurn BT200S-2 Controller
Foot switch control in a stompbox design that easily integrates with your pedal board."

https://www.airturn.com/products/air...s-2-controller
Agree 100%. When I'm performing the idea of flipping pages with a finger is not an option. The AirTurn has served me very well for two years - it also holds a charge for a remarkably long time.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlee2112 View Post
I'm very curious... as I'm thinking about moving to the 4 pedal version... what do you have all 4 buttons programmed to do?

For context, I just got back into playing out in the last year after not playing gigs since kids came along. Suddenly having to handle lead vocals on dozens of songs, I needed help with lyrics/chord charts.

I quickly came to the same conclusion as others have mentioned in that I was not ok with touching the iPad with my fingers if at all possible.

I have them set very simply, there probably better ways to go about it. I’m using OnSong on my iPad to pair it with.

On one side it’s set to auto scroll (after setting tempo as desired). So, one tap before we go into the song and shouldn’t need to do anything else with it during that song.

The button next to it scrolls up. This is so that if we wind up jamming for awhile I can get it back to where I need in that song for lyrical reference.

The other side is to go back and forward through the set list. I did that in case it jumps ahead moving forward through the set, so I can get right back to the correct song.

Did I need the 4? Who knows, when I looked at the prices it just made sense to me to have 4 options. Didn’t really see any benefit for me to buy the 2 instead of 4.

I didn’t try to work it into my board, but instead just let it sit in front/to the side so it doesn’t interfere with other pedals I need access to. The weight/size of the Airturn was negligible, and I just chunk it in the same bag with cables/mics.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post

Only problem with the Airturn is that it (in the way I have it set up), moves up or down one line at a time (as opposed to one page at a time). I would like to have it programmed to "cursor down" and "cursor up" 8 lines at a time (or other numbers of lines of my choice).
Depending on your ultimate goal this may be something you can plan for in the app rather than the pedal. I use Songbook Pro on an Android tablet and have it set to show one verse at a time. I leave line gaps between verses/choruses so the app can distinguish, then flip between sections as required.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:51 AM

the horn players in my band all use the Donner pedal, so I got one - we have several charts that are two page long PDF's (the band uses OnSong) and being able to scroll down with the pedal is a new luxury for me - I can flip the page too, but that's not as important to me as the scroll feature - though a quick page flip is handy when we do medleys. I've found the Donner Page Turner to be a good new tool for me when playing live.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:54 AM

Pageflip Cicada works very well, we've been using them for a few years.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 01-30-2022, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Leaning towards the PageFlip Firefly or Dragonfly. The Dragonfly is only $20 more, and has 4 vs 2 foot switch functions. Are the two extra even necessary? Maybe on to turn a page fwd, one to reverse a page, and one to scroll? Or just set it up to advance forward on one pedal and scroll on the other--and use the touchscreen if needed to reverse?
Thx
Old 01-31-2022, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

I got the 6 button, which for me was a mistake, as it’s just too many and too big. 4 would be nice, and I’d use [back one song] [Scroll back] [scroll forward] [forward one song] . There are times where you advance to the next song by hitting the scroll button when you get to the unexpected end of a song, and being able to jump back to the song you’re playing at the time is convenient -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification