The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-17-2021, 05:51 PM

Default Bluetooth Page Turner Pedal

I know this isn't about "amplification," but this is where the folks who gig hang out.

Any recommendations for a page-turner pedal to use with an iPad?

Couch Standards
Old 12-17-2021, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I know this isn't about "amplification," but this is where the folks who gig hang out.

Hi Brent
I own one, but after using it for a couple months (8 years ago) I put it away and have not used it since. It's quicker to just tap the screen by hand.

I know two others who have done the same with their pedals too (put them away or sold them). We all had 'state of the art' pedals from that time period, and all worked equally well to go forward a page, and go backwards a page.

Some apps even let you scroll with the app.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-17-2021, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

As noted above OnSong will recognize page turning pedals, yet I've found the 'autoscroll' setting to be a better option when playing live.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:49 PM

I am the opposite, I love using Bluetooth pedals. I love being able to switch pages and also scroll down the lyrics as I sing. Yes, you can set an auto scroll, but I dislike that feature. To be honest, I also find it unprofessional when people are seen scrolling by hand on their iPads. My buddy will stop playing guitar for a second to scroll down to see the lyrics and it makes me so angry. I use two
Boss FS-5U pedals and the Airturn BT-105. It’s been a flawless setup.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been using a PageFlip Firefly for several years with a variety of iPads and it also works well with my MacBook Pro for a variety of programs
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 12-17-2021, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

I have used two

The iRig BlueTurn

http://https://www.sweetwater.com/st...-irig-blueturn

Pageflip Butterfly

https://www.amazon.com/PageFlip-Butt...9794992&sr=8-2

There's another version of the latter with five button instead of three, don't know what for.

They both work well with my Android tablet and phone. I abandoned the Blue Turn quickly, though, because the target was too small for me--I got the Butterfly because it's really hard to miss that big wing, and then I programmed it so both sides turned page right.

But much like another in this thread, I ended up using even that one less than I'd planned. I, too, found it much easier to advance the song with a hand flip. And with a larger screen--I went with a tablet instead of my phone--I need to flip less since many songs fit on one screen. Last of all, in my case I need it only for a relatively small number of songs in my set. I think if I relied on it for everything, using it would become more second-nature.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:28 PM

Thanks for all the great replies so far. If it makes any difference, this would be for an upright bass player with fairly advanced macular degeneration that makes it necessary to enlarge his charts by a lot. So a 2-page "normal" chart would be more like 6 pages for him, something like 16 bars to a page or even fewer.

Couch Standards
Old 12-18-2021, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post

I use a PedPro. Works great.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:48 AM

Versatile, reliable, cheap-ish, battery charge lasts long:

Donner Bluetooth Page Turner Pedal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunder-Blu.../dp/B06WLLQ8BR

I've used this on Android and iOS and three other people are using the same model after my suggestion.

Pedals are not too close together, which is handy when you're not looking at it.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:02 AM

Default Bluetooth Page Turner Pedal

I use the Irig Blue Turn along with their app for shows where I need cheat sheets for lyrics o. stage and where I need to change pages mid-song. So far it’s been flawless and I’m starting to use it with music notes (which I save as PDFs) as well.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-18-2021, 10:29 AM

The Coda Music Stomp pedal is great and has typical pedal form factor and switches. It's built like a tank.

If you have any interest in MIDI, you might want to look at getting a MIDI controller pedal for turning pages and so much more. I use a Morningstar MC6 to change pages on my android tablet running SongBook.

Last edited by ZebraKing; 12-18-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraKing View Post
The Coda Music Stomp pedal is great and has typical peal form factor and switches. It's built like a tank.

If you have any interest in MIDI, you might want to look at getting a MIDI controller pedal for turning pages and so much more. I use a Morningstar MC6 to change pages on my android tablet running SongBook.
I have a Coda Stomp pedal also, after having tried a couple of cheap ones. As usual, you get what you pay for. All of the pedals work pretty much the same way, but the Coda is built really solidly, has great buttons (like on most pedals without the click), and can be used with a battery or plugged in. I haven't gigged in decades, but I spend a lot of time playing songs with my iPad in front of me and I hate auto-scrolling - I can never seem to find just the right speed. I don't have any need to memorize songs any longer, so playing with the chords and lyrics in front of me is what I do. Even on songs I know really well, I still use the iPad, even if just as a security blanket.

-Ray
Old 12-19-2021, 09:54 AM

Here's a big +1 for the Donner Bluetooth Page turner - I'm in a big classic R&B band w/3 man horn section - all but one of those guys use the Donner pedal, so I got one for my guitar charts on my iPad - many of the songs have 2-page charts and I can easily scroll down to stay on the chart and I can turn the page when we get into the 3 or 4 songs in a row portion (no stopping) of any given set; though I often swipe the page turn between songs because it's easy enough. Since the horn guys do not work from charts, but solid sheet music, and they like the Donner so much, I got one too and I'm very pleased with how easy it is to use and set up. Good Hunting.

Last edited by doublescale1; 02-06-2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:42 AM

Pageflip Butterfly - dead simple to set up and use. Well built, ergonomic. I use it with Songbook Pro. Works flawlessly. I could never get autoscroll functions to work successfully with songs that change tempo at variou points.
Old 12-19-2021, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

My choice is the Airturn BT200S-2. It is the size of a standard Boss pedal and in fact fits well on a pedal board. Or you can just use it by itself. It is rechargeable and pretty much does one thing and does it well, turns pages. I've used mine now for seven years.

"AirTurn BT200S-2 Controller
Foot switch control in a stompbox design that easily integrates with your pedal board."

https://www.airturn.com/products/air...s-2-controller

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification