The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-17-2019, 01:13 PM

Default Saddle Fit...Is this ok?

I put a Taylor bone saddle in my new 717 this weekend, and I'm pleased with the results. However, I'm concerned about the fit. The stock micarta saddle was very tight and I had to use pliers to get it out. The bone saddle fits very smoothly, but there is an extremely small amount of play in it. I'm not talking enough to see, but you can feel just a hair amount of "wobble." Visibly, I can't see it, but it isn't nearly as tight as the micarta saddle.

Should I put the micarta back in? It doesn't appear to be pulling, and I've had Martin guitars with a loosely fit saddle before. It sounds fine, but just concerned if the saddle should be tight.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

That's fine and it sounds better to boot.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-17-2019, 01:50 PM

Dont over concern yourself with that. The string tension will keep that saddle tightly in contact with the bridge slot.

The only concern would arise if the saddle was too thin and would tip a little, messing up intonation, but that's not the case for you so you are good.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I am not a guitar builder or set up professional. I have owned 60+ guitars and do most of my own set ups.

I make the saddles I shape and adjust just tight enough so they do not fall out by themselves from the saddle slot in the bridge when held upside down without strings. You should not have to force them to the bottom of the slot either.

Too loose or too tight can cause problems in tone and stability of the bridge wood.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Did you loosen the ES2 saddle sensors first before pulling out the old saddle? The procedure is:
1) slightly loosen the 3 pickup sensors
2) pull out old saddle
3) put new saddle in
4) gently retighted the 3 sensors

From Taylor website:
Note: The saddle should not be removed or replaced without first loosening the adjustment screws located on the top of the pickup housings. Otherwise the pickup could be damaged.
To remove the saddle: The pickup sensors must first be loosened (backed away from the saddle) by loosening the pressure adjustment screws located on top of the housings behind the saddle. The adjustment will require a .050 hex key (Allen wrench).”

Last edited by gmel555; 06-17-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
Did you loosen the ES2 saddle sensors first before pulling out the old saddle? The procedure is:
1) slightly loosen the 3 pickup sensors
2) pull out old saddle
3) put new saddle in
4) gently retighted the 3 sensors
luckily, no ES for me
Old 06-17-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
That's fine and it sounds better to boot.
I think it definitely sounds better. I may order a second Taylor bone saddle and see if it is any different, and I can put this one in my daughter's GS Mini.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Actually a slightly loose fit is better, and here's why;
Too tight of a fit can Cause the Saddle to not freely sit flat on the bottom. Good contact is paramount for better tonal transfer.
Too tight of a fit...like you described with your micarta saddle, will not only not allow the saddle to freely rest flat, but can also cause unwanted stresses on the bridge itself.
Of course, Too loose of a fit is not great either. But from your description it sound perfect.
Good luck and welcome to the bone saddle club. No question in my mind, bone sounds wonderful. More harmonics.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Actually a slightly loose fit is better, and here's why;

Too tight of a fit can Cause the Saddle to not freely sit flat on the bottom. Good contact is paramount for better tonal transfer.

Too tight of a fit...like you described with your micarta saddle, will not only not allow the saddle to freely rest flat, but can also cause unwanted stresses on the bridge itself.

Of course, Too loose of a fit is not great either. But from your description it sound perfect.

Good luck and welcome to the bone saddle club. No question in my mind, bone sounds wonderful. More harmonics.

Good to know!

Here is a pic...hard to tell, but it’s loose without seeing an evident gap

IMG_5296.jpg
Old 06-17-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
luckily, no ES for me
Ah, all good. Didn’t see photo til afterwards.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:46 PM

If you had to use pliers to get your stock saddle out than it was too tight. As others have pointed out it should be snug enough that it doesn't fall out on its own with the guitar upside down with the strings off. A little on the loose side is no issue either. I've changed the stock saddle from tusq to bone on 4 guitars now and liked the change better on all of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair