The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2021, 06:27 PM

Default An admittitly biased judgement

Over the last week I've had a chance to play guitars that I did not expect to play. I live in the instrument black hole of S.W. Fl.
I had a chance to play a 10 year old Collings dread of Braz/Englemann, a Olsen that I think was an OM size of indie/spruce (origin unknown) and a Bourgious dread of Braz/ Adi.
ALL wonderful instruments that I would be happy to own and play.
BUT....I guess I have been seduced by the "Voicing" of Santa Cruz guitars.
I currently own ,and play every day, five SCs and have a 000 of Ab/Moon Spruce arriving end of Jan. as a 75 T.A.T.S. gift to myself.
I'm not a great player but I play ,and have for almost 60 years,to give myself peace and satisfaction in this crazy world.... and Santa Cruz Guitars "speak"to me with depth, clarity and resonance.
I apprciate all of the builders of fine guitars and I understand that we all hear individule guitars differently...... But Hoover and staff over many years have created a sound I can make sound good to me.....and that's all that matters to me.
the usual ...YMMV , Etc. , Etc.

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 11-30-2021, 07:41 PM

I could write the same post, substituting your Santa Cruz for my preferred brand.
That's one of the great things about it all, we (most) appreciate a number of brands but, some of us zone in on a particular maker, that just does it for our senses.
As far as I'm concerned, nobody is right, and nobody is wrong.
It's what makes the world go round.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:52 PM

It's great that you have found guitars that just suit you. So many folks are always seeking, never really finding.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Santa Cruz is such a wonderful company. Everyone I’ve ever dealt with there just radiates light and happiness. You might notice my sig…just 2 brands now. I’ve got 2 Santa Cruzes and 3 Merrills. Sometimes when I just want a relaxing mellow evening, I’ll grab a Cruz. And when I want the volume and power, I’ll grab a Merrill. Both have awesome playability.

Enjoy your great collection!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-30-2021, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Great that you've found your focus. I'm sure it helps cut down on the GAS, at least a little.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

All the Santa Cruz guitars that I have owned and played had a special "thing" about them that I have never experienced in any other guitar brand. I regret selling the ones that I sold and wish I had them back. They have a feel and sound that is more about the player and they feel like old friends. Other guitar companies have their sound and feel but SC guitars are the friendliest.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-01-2021, 08:53 AM

After some 55+ years of playing I have figured out that while I am not as good a player as I hoped to be I am not half as bad as I think I am.

I have been lucky in that the two states I have lived in over the past 15 or so years have had shops which carried all manner of high end guitars within 20 minutes of me. The shops also know I have finally reached a point where I can spend the loot it takes to put one of these beauties in my hands and that I have shifted direction in that I am also willing to change my ways and buy something new or at least newish. Pretty much the perfect storm. So I have had more than a few of the offerings of Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Collings, Huss & Dalton, and others placed in my hands. While subjectively I know many of these are great sounding instruments none has thus far grabbed me by the collar and shook me around so my only newish guitar remains a Fairbanks. My wife is actually of the opinion that I enjoy the hunt so much I do not want it to end. But I do predict that by next spring there will be a new guitar entering our lives. Temptation will take control of me and I will fall.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:01 AM

I'm admittedly biased- to less expensive guitars. My most recent is an Art And Lutherie, Tennessee Red w/cutaway- it's also one of the hardest I have for me to play- if I don't place my fingers just so, I get fret buzz when I get enthusiastic, but, I LOVE the sound with Martin Monel 11-52 strings- it is so me.
Not flashy, not classy and nothing really special about the sound- that is a perfect summary of me. I can't really describe the sound it has, but, I like it, a lot. And it was only 400 bucks, used.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like you've blessed yourself with some wonderful guitars that you enjoy. Good for you and thanks for sharing.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Tone doesn't get any sweeter than Santa Cruz sweet!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-01-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
After some 55+ years of playing I have figured out that while I am not as good a player as I hoped to be I am not half as bad as I think I am.
You should write country songs.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Very sweet Hank. It doesn’t get any better. Enjoy the Remuda!
Old 12-01-2021, 01:40 PM

HFox I totally went on a similar, and admittedly expensive, journey only to land on Santa Cruz, as you did. That being said, I don't regret a single step of the journey as I truly felt I needed to be exposed to and own quite a few of the guitars I did in order to find what truly suited me best.

As others have said, the "preferred brand[s]" will be different for each of us, because we truly live in a golden age of guitar making. Even though SCGC is the best for me, if I lived in a variant timeline (Loki MCU reference) where SCGC didn't exist and I could only own Bourgeois, Collings, or Huss and Dalton (or heck even the upper end Martin and Taylor), I'd be okay with that as I've now owned all of those brands and can vouch for their qualities.

SCGC, and most especially the 1934D I flew to Chicago to try and then buy, was just a combination of all the things I'm looking for in a guitar. Weight, neck shape/carve, scale length (25.25), tone, resonance, player-side sound (which my guitar journey has convinced me is a more audible difference than audience-side sound), aesthetics, body size and shape (their D is slightly smaller than normal Ds which can be cumbersome on my frame), etc. It's no coincidence as I've downsized my collection that the majority of my remaining guitars bear the SCGC logo.

And while I still go to my local stores to try out guitars, I can honestly say the 1934D has at least temporarily eased my G.A.S. In fact, the only thing that may be on my radar at some point would likely be a mahogany version of the 34D. And if I ever end up getting that 34D 'hog, my guitarsenal might shrink down to only the SCGCs (and my Lakewood which will stay with me until the end, for sentimental reasons).

I get what you're saying about your SCGCs "speak to you", I feel much the same way. And the body sizes and depths that Mr. Hoover and Co. have settled on are more comfortable for me to play than similar classed OMs and Ds from other makers. I no longer wonder about how it would be to get a bespoke individual luthier guitar built for me because honestly these three SCGCs I own feel like they were meant for me.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 12-01-2021, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I've admittedly never played a Santa Cruz, but it has been one of the builders I've been drawn to. I'd like to own one boutique guitar and I think SC would be the one. I love their sunburst.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I've admittedly never played a Santa Cruz, but it has been one of the builders I've been drawn to. I'd like to own one boutique guitar and I think SC would be the one. I love their sunburst.
I checked SCGC's site for NC dealers, you have two: Soundpure and Music Loft. Not sure how near/far those are to you. I highly recommend checking them out, they have some SCGC in inventory. That will be your first step in helping you figure out if SCGC has "the it factor" you're after. Soundpure seems to also carry Collings and Bourgeois, so you could try those brands out there too, in case those others have "the it factor" for you. Music Loft seems to have a smaller selection so if you can only go to one, just judging by online inventory Soundpure might be the better bet, just to let you try a few boutique brands out.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion