The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2021, 11:26 AM

Default Pod Go / Helix Live Setup - 2 Guitars Question

Hi gang,

Big gig coming up in a week and wanted to run my signal chain by you. I play in a duo where we both play guitar and sing.

Basic chain is guitar signal / vocal signal > Yamaha 10MGXU > 2x QSC k8v.2

I have a Yamaha AC3R that's my stage acoustic. I want to bring a PRS SE and play electric on a few songs. I started thinking through a chain as follows:

Acoustic - AC3R > LR Baggs Session DI > Mixer
Electric - PRS SE > Joyo American Sound > Mixer

As the Yamaha Mixer only has 4 real channels (2 guitars, 2 vocals), I will only have 1 channel for the guitar, so in between songs, I would have to be swapping out one chain for the other (meaning unplugging the guitar from the mixer and plugging another guitar). I am very concerned about all of that switching and keeping the levels decent through the mixer (not to mention no ability to change mixer EQ).

I've played around with modelers in the past so instead of the setup above, I was thinking to test out a Pod Go as follows:

AC3R (left channel input) >
PRS SE (right channel input) > ---- POD GO > TRS Cable > Mixer

The Pod Go would have two separate presets (one for electric and one for acoustic) and I would be able to level set in advance at home through the PA so I wouldn't have to knob twiddle.

For the acoustic POD GO setting, it would be minimal (reverb + comp + acoustic IR). For the electric, it would be similarly minimal (Fender amp sim, reverb, little OD).

Let me know what you think. 2 guitars (one at a time) both plugged in all the time, basic presets, level setting through mixer and PA in live setting.

PS, I can burn up to $1000 on a modeler here if the Pod Go is the wrong way to go for this type of application. Happy to look at alternatives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zqs-tqCGjw
Old 11-27-2021, 04:44 PM

Default Sounds good

I do similar with my HX Stomp, but I typically do not have two instruments plugged in, even though I could do it. Just make sure you have a way of turning the unused guitar off, unless there’s no risk of setting it off. I’ve not used a POD, but the routing features in the Stomp allow one to create an internal A/B/Y switch. Or add an effect that cuts the volume off when turning it on.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:33 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I know it is more money but my only experience is with the Helix. In Helix or Helix LT you can definitely set up presents that choose between connected inputs. You can also set up your paths however you want. Helix LT is $999. Of course, it is a big box. The HX Stomp is more limited but much smaller.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-28-2021, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomBoy View Post
I've played around with modelers in the past so instead of the setup above, I was thinking to test out a Pod Go as follows:
AC3R (left channel input) >
PRS SE (right channel input) > ---- POD GO > TRS Cable > Mixer
Pod GO has one mono input and one stereo aux/return input, but according to L6 that is not processed in the output: https://line6.com/support/topic/5380...comment=322878
But you can always add a simple A/B box before the POD GO.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:48 AM

Hi,

I own a Yamaha AC3R too - why do you want to use an IR?

There are already two IRs in the preamp?

cu

erniecaster
Old 11-28-2021, 10:55 AM

I just realized that the AC3R mic includes an IR. I guess it'll just be preamp, comp, EQ and reverb for the acoustic. Maybe not even that
Old 11-30-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottomBoy View Post
I just realized that the AC3R mic includes an IR. I guess it'll just be preamp, comp, EQ and reverb for the acoustic. Maybe not even that
Still the Pod GO has just one mono input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification