The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-29-2021, 07:26 AM

I don't have a wife, but I used to have one and I've had a couple of special girl friends at b'day and Christmas time- I always gave them what I wanted them to be gifted with - they can buy what they want- they can't but what I want to give them because they don't know- that, to me, makes it a complete surprise adding to the *special* day-
Old 11-29-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I know it's crazy, but I just talk to my wife. Spend time with her, notice what she wants. Then through the year I add ideas to a google doc. No need for categories or guessing. Works well.
See my post #2 in this thread. You can talk/listen/notice all you want but if you want to get her exactly what she desires as a gift (other than those things) my method always works. In fact it actually works just as well if a person still talks/listens/notices because a spouse should be doing that anyway.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
See my post #2 in this thread. You can talk/listen/notice all you want but if you want to get her exactly what she desires as a gift (other than those things) my method always works. In fact it actually works just as well if a person still talks/listens/notices because a spouse should be doing that anyway.
I love the prioritized list! We all (kids and parents) share a Google Doc with our list. One of my kids has like 3 things, the other has like 20...pretty funny with the respective personalities. The youngest (with 20) prioritizes her own list. Girl knows what she wants!
Old 11-29-2021, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Funny, I've been thinking about this.

Trouble is in your '70s there isn't much that we can get that we can't just go and get if we wanted.

About the only thing we'd both really love is to be able to move into a newer larger home somewhere out of town - but all the faff stops us!

She has just spent quite a lot on having her rings altered enabling her to get them over her arthritic knuckles -bless her ..,I can no longer wear either of my two wedding bands for similar reasons.

She buys her clothes as she sees them maintaining a strict quantity limits - passing older items to charity.

She doesn't eat sweets or chocolates, and in these times we cannot go out to eat ... or drink.

Upon first asking she said "a new Garden shed!"

Well we both want that and there are significant logistical issues. Frankly I'd prefer to make it a brick built extension.

She has just (literally) come to me and said "I'd like "The History of the World in 100 objects" a delightful series of short radio programmes on BBC radio 4 now out in book form - in many... different book forms! Amazon has made my head hurt and half of the offerings are about forcing you to join some ghastly monthly scheme which I strongly resist.

Mostly we feel we must spend money on a shoulder operation for my stepson and a hand operation on me as the NHS seems to be in collapse. (Eight weeks for a telephone triage to see the GP in order for him to chase a two year old referral?)

Haven't thought what I'd like.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:26 AM

Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
It happens. Darn shipping companies.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:58 PM

This is an excellent and timely post. Thank you Bob!
Old 11-30-2021, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Year's ago we came to the realization that we either had what we needed, didn't need half of what we wanted, and anyway, we could get it ourselves if we wanted it. It all felt so vacuous to both of us. I pleaded "no more" - ironically she earns much more than I do and could and would buy me anything but, i don't like the focus on buying. We agreed to stop and as one other person mentioned, we see it as 365 of potential shopping and so if we see it and really want it, no matter the date, we buy it.

Then one day, I stumbled on the "perfect" idea. You know, that house thing! She wanted some new doors and it was autumn and I said "Xmas for the house!". Since then, which was probably 15 years ago, it's been gifts for the house. We ponder through the year, which items or tasks we'd like to see done - new doors, windows, rooms painted professionally, appliances...... And select something and that's that.

Due to the pandemic and her needing some major surgeries, we haven't played this game last season or current, but I'm sure 2022 will bring something to the abode. I'm angling to upgrade the 20 year old toaster oven.... and 30 year old microwave........ (I do most of the food prep).

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 11-30-2021, 05:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
I'm sure 2022 will bring something to the abode. I'm angling to upgrade the 20 year old toaster oven.... and 30 year old microwave........ (I do most of the food prep). John
Ms. Manners is fine with it... as long as you don't put a toilet under the tree.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-30-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I know this isn’t really the discussion but… first off my wife is not materialistic…really!
Those days are gone for her (and me )
She doesn’t care about gifts. Our family at Christmas is the gift she loves the most.
Still get her something, but it doesn’t matter to her what it is and I don’t spend much time in pursuit of it.
Pretty nice.
Once we did this, we were a lot happier at Christmas. No worry about finding gifts, just our family, together. And we used to give huge amounts of gifts at Christmas, nothing expensive but lots of things. As we got ahead in life, we began getting what we wanted or needed as the opportunity arose. Then when Christmas came, we already had the stuff. And as the kids became adults with their own homes, we no longer saw them enough to get inspirations. They were having the same trouble with us. So, now family time is the gift and we're all happier, richer in many ways. We do find things for the grandkiddies.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic