The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-20-2021, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Will I live long enough...

Last week my teacher suggested we get into "Anji." And I said, "the Stones tune?" No, he said, the Graham, Jansch, Simon tune. I am such a nube. As soon as he played the first measure I instantly remembered it from my youth. Well, vaguely.

So, as some of you may recall from my other posts, am am about two years into my guitar journey, after a life time of jazz winds work. I have been taking weekly fingerstyle lessons via ZOOM for about three months. In that time, I have learned Freight Train (syncopated version), Keep It Clean, Green Green Rocky Road and, most recenly, Deep River Blues. I can play each of them with few errors, but not consistently. Let's say, 80-85%. It is just a matter of time.

After my last lesson, I went to YT, as I often do when my teacher introduces a new tune, and I listened to various interpertations of it. And as the tune went on, almost interminably, I sunk deeper into my chair. What a beast, I thought. And then I sucked it up, and went to work, I found an excellent tutorial on line that breaks the tune down, step by step.

I find that lessons are good for trouble-shooting and introducing technique, but less so for learning tunes. I have a really hard time, in that context, actually remembering the progression of a tune. But after a lesson, my teacher sends a slow vid of what we have covered, as well as tabs. that often does it. But sometimes I cannot see what his fingers are doing, so I go online. This was one of those times. And I got the first four measures down marginally well after spending several hours, including the triplet.

But back to the question. I could go all math on you and calculate how long it took me to get the first four measures down, and then extrapolate that out, figuring the number of measures in the piece and then multiplying it by "learn time" of the four measures I got. But that would be unfair, because of the repetition in the first four. And I could also tell you that according to the SSA death tables I got 18.6 years left on this earth. But that assumes I make it that far, and that devote most of that time to eating, drinking, evacuating and practicing Anji.

So, if we were just spitballing here, what are my chances of learning this tune before my final curtain call. And, tangentially, will it kill me in the process. That would be ironic. Maybe I should rename the tune "Anjina."
Thanks,
David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 11-20-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Many pieces are repetitive with the strumming and picking patterns used. In other words if you get the first few measures in hand you have already done a lot more towards playing the whole piece than you might think. Just have to memorize stuff.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-20-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Oh, you'll get Anji WAYYYY before you clock out. Now, If your teacher suggests Steve Howe's "Clap," just say no!
Old 11-20-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Two thoughts:

1. None of us knows when we are going to die. It could be tomorrow or even today yet, or 30 years from now.

2. The important thing is to enjoy the journey. The destination will come when it comes.

Hopefully these thoughts will replace the original question with a different perspective that makes your time with the guitar more enjoyable.

Tony
Old 11-20-2021, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Two thoughts:

1. None of us knows when we are going to die. It could be tomorrow or even today yet, or 30 years from now.

2. The important thing is to enjoy the journey. The destination will come when it comes.

Hopefully these thoughts will replace the original question with a different perspective that makes your time with the guitar more enjoyable.

Tony
Tony,
Thank you or your thoughts, which I share. Indeed, I have found that a valuable part of the joy of my journey is sharing with other likeminded travelers, light-hearted musings, like this one.
That said, your cautionary tale reminds me of that aphorism admonishing one to repent the day befor you die.
David
Old 11-20-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Oh, you'll get Anji WAYYYY before you clock out. Now, If your teacher suggests Steve Howe's "Clap," just say no!
Very much obliged for the assurance and caution.
David
Old 11-20-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Now, If your teacher suggests Steve Howe's "Clap," just say no!
Man, I am so glad I learned that and Mood for a Day when I was a teen!

Deliberate1, I wouldn't be surprised if you start finding that learning tunes starts accelerating. You're only 3 months into your fingerstyle journey.

The more you learn, the faster it goes. Well, until you hit a plateau

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-20-2021, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post

The more you learn, the faster it goes. Well, until you hit a plateau
Gordon, I think I might paint that on one of my guitar cases...at least the first part.
David
Old 11-20-2021, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Start the Steve Howe tunes now. Everyone loves both, from the Beethoven guys to the Taylor Swift and Kanye fans. My great grandmother. Just don’t tell them it’s a 70s prog rock god. And of course that crowd will be way impressed.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 11-21-2021, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
Start the Steve Howe tunes now. Everyone loves both, from the Beethoven guys to the Taylor Swift and Kanye fans. My great grandmother. Just don’t tell them it’s a 70s prog rock god. And of course that crowd will be way impressed.
I just listeneded to his Mood for a Day tune. Oh, my. What a lovely piece. Indeed, so many different moods. Let's see....at one note per day....
David
Old 11-21-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
...I got the first four measures down marginally well after spending several hours, including the triplet....
Well, the 2nd and 3rd measures are the same as the first, so there's a shortcut there. Measures 5-8 shouldn't be too tough. Gets a little tricky after that! Great piece!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 11-21-2021, 11:38 AM

I'm learning to play piano/keys and now understand the meaning of "so many songs so little time" as I'm way into older age. I have found a love for the old classes... The Way You Look Tonight, As Time Goes By, I Left My Heart In San Francisco, Moon River and Smile (Charlie Chaplin) among my song list. I keep discovering more every week. At least for now I feel like I just discovered an unending river of songs I love playing.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 11-21-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Ah! Anji!!! I remember it well... spent many hundreds of hours learning it in the 60's... although I love both Graham and Jansch' versions, I play it primarily from Paul Simon's version...

Can you do it before you leave this physical plane of existence? Certainly very likely if you keep after it... and everything you learn form playing this song will help in all other aspects of your playing, as well...

I remember focusing on that descending bass line at first, just getting that feel down - then slowly working the higher register into the equation... I have found that, so long as I keep that bass line and groove going, I can get by with fumbling the other notes... I've learned to not be so rigid in my approach and playing of the song; there's a lot to be gained by relaxing and "letting it flow"...

Have fun with it! Keep going; you'll get there!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-21-2021, 05:28 PM

I learned Angie (Bert Jansch version, with extra bits) in a few weeks, after around a year of beginning to teach myself guitar. I did it with the help of a 2-speed tape deck. No lessons.

But then I was 17 at the time. It's all a lot easier when you're a teenager...

I now do my own version, taking it into different keys. Here I am, a few years back, with a good helping of mistakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlre9ZBRwCs

Last edited by JonPR; 11-21-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I learned Angie (Bert Jansch version, with extra bits) in a few weeks, after around a year of beginning to teach myself guitar. I did it with the help of a 2-speed tape deck. No lessons.

But then I was 17 at the time. It's all a lot easier when you're a teenager...

I now do my own version, taking it into different keys. Here I am, a few years back, with a good helping of mistakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlre9ZBRwCs
Jon, nicely done. Have you always played it with capo on the thrid? I have seen it with none, on the second and third. Moving up does flatter the tune, I think.
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write