The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-03-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
I think we can assume than Neumann was using some top end preamps. And I'm listening to it on my studio monitors, not on computer monitors. There actually are a lot of mic demonstrations that sound pretty darned good even compressed on youtube. As nice as the video is on the Neumann series, I heard what I'd consider mediocre sounds. Of course we are talking about their relatively low end series. But still.

Like whose demos do I consider better? Ear Trumpet Labs, for instance. And they're not even supposed to be intended for studio use so much.
I'm just learning about mics and recordings and have been listening to a lot of samples and comparisons. While I'm sure that the Neumann demonstrations are using high end components in addition to their mics, with others' demonstrations the Neumann mics always seem to stand out in my ears. Just with I could afford them (or was good enough to warrant having them).
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I use a Rode NTK for acoustic and vocals.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 09-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

I've been using a Rode NT2 and a pair of Shure SM 81s for everything the last ten years or so. Solid inexpensive mics.

Do $2000 mics into $4000 pres sound better? Yes. Dramatically so.$2000 mic into the average home studio? Not so much.

Weak link theory.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-03-2017, 01:15 PM

I was using an Avantone CK40 which is a stereo mic in the shape of two mics on a stick. It sounded pretty darned good ... but it was a real pain to work with cause the buttons are tiny and it's hard to see where the movable capsule is rotated. It was also really heavy and required a big boom stand which was no fun in a relatively small room.

So that's gone and I'm thinking about Ear Trumpet Labs (probably Edwina) or Timbre Tone which is similar but more oriented toward studio than stage. Also curious about Audio Technica 4050ST which is another 2 in 1 stereo concept.

In the past I had great results with original Rode Classic and Rode NTV rolled with a great NOS tube (Mullard, if I remember).

There is something about the simplicity of one mic. There are a zillion songs we all love recorded with one mic. Since I record myself, I'm thinking I'd do a lot more recording if it was more point and shoot than worrying about 2 placements and phase concerns. I've already done a recent 2-CD major recording with the CK40 where I really got compulsive. At this point, simpler productions with simpler mic techniques are beckoning.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Do $2000 mics into $4000 pres sound better? Yes. Dramatically so.$2000 mic into the average home studio? Not so much.

Weak link theory.
I agree. I record into an Apogee Quartet using an acoustically treated room in my house. I'm sure the expensive Neumanns and Schoeps are as great as people say, but I've never used them and, even if I could afford to buy them, I suspect "weak link theory" would be relevant.

I started with an Audio Technica 4040 and a pair of Peluso CEMC-6s. I upgraded the Pelusos to a pair of Beyer MC930s and it made a big, very satisfying improvement.

For now, the Beyers are my favorite recording mic on instruments, good enough that I no longer peruse GearSlutz and fantasize about buying better mics.

For vocals, either the AT4040 or a Shure SM7 (depending on the voice) work well enough for me.

Larry
Old 09-03-2017, 06:18 PM

I use a Rode M-3, good enough for decent amateur level.
Dan
Old 09-03-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have a Rodes NT-5 - too sensitive for my recording needs.
I don't understand what you mean by "too sensitive".

Mic sensitivity is voltage out for a given SPL in.
If you're getting too much signal just turn the gain down on your preamp, or if your mic has it switch in some attenuation.
Or you can move the mic further from the sound source.

Or are you talking about something else?
Old 09-06-2017, 11:24 PM

I have a lot of microphones, but some favorites of mine so I can play along with the game...

Vocals: Violet Flamingo, Globe Vintage, Amethyst Vintage, Blue Cactus, Blueberry, Kiwi, Neumann U87ai, M147, Rode Classic II, K2, MXL Revelation, Peluso 2247, Shure SM7

Electric guitar amps: Cloud JRS34, Sennheiser MD421, Castcade Fathead II (modded), Shure SM7

Acoustic guitar: Neumann U87ai, U89, KM184, Violet Amethyst Vintage. Rode NTK (modded), K2, Audio Technica AT4041

Resonator: Neumann M147, Shure Model 300, Sennheiser MD421

Don't get me started on what preamp I like with each mic
Old 09-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

A pair of 4033's would work great for recording. There are probably 1000 other choices, all of which someone uses successfully, but since you have a 4033 already, having two would allow for stereo, if that makes sense for your use.

I don't buy the arguments against stereo. We have two ears - done properly, stereo micing techniques produce the sound we hear with 2 ears. But stereo mostly makes sense for solo guitar, so it depends on what you're doing.

If you want to spend more money, check out Neumann, Shoeps, Gefell, Brauner, AEA, Royer, etc, etc. Even higher end AT's. Tons to choose from, all good.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:12 AM

As we are talking bang for buck ...

I currently use a Mojave 301 FET for vocals which isn't cheap but is great value for a great sound.

For acoustic I agree with Doug about stereo - I use Beyerdynamic 930 mics which are very natural in sound.

At a cheaper end I've always liked the Rode mics - NT2 particularly and the Rose small diaphragms work well and E nice and bright which is helpful for acoustic players starting out with recording. I've had great results using a pair of unmatched AKG C1000s.

In my view proper mic placement AND good technique go a long long way to a good sound.
Martin J40
Old 09-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Since we're talking about favorites and the benefits of a "single mic", I recently picked up an AT4050 stereo mic, and really like it. I thought it'd be easier to deal with for you tube videos - just less to be in the way, tho I haven't done that yet. It can be used in MS mode, or XY, and definitely simplifies setup. One stand, aim it at the guitar and hit record. So the ease of use of "one mic" with the sound of stereo.

But I also just leave my normal recording setup up most of the time, with a combination of a spaced pairs and an MS ribbon, so 4 mics. (For this, I use a pair of Brauner VM1s and a Royer SF-24) It took some effort to find the right placement and I do revisit that now and then, but now all I need to do is sit down and hit record - fast and easy.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:12 PM

I have a few go to mics I use more than others. I haven't seen them listed in this thread so here goes...

Neuman TLM 102's, I have two for stereo recordings

The MXL Revelation. I got it on sale for $399 but see it listed now for $1,295.99, don't believe me ?? Check it out here...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXL/Reve...-Microphone.gc

The Shure SM7

The Blue Baby Bottle
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 09-09-2017, 04:34 AM

In a good room I use a pair of Rode NTR ribbons and a pair of Mojave MA100 (omni or card capsules) on just about anything. Move them around, use individually or as blended pair(s) and smile.

If the room is not great I prefer to get close and use a single mic.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I use a Rode NTK for acoustic and vocals.
The NTK into an Apogee Duet seems to be most agreeable with my vocals. I do prefer my Gefell M300s for guitars.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:16 PM

I'm a recording newbie, so what do I know? But for the money it seems like the Shure SM7B is quite nice for the money. I've got an AKG P420 a P170 and a SM58. You could put a $3600 Neumann in my hands and at this stage I don't think it would make a bit of difference.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD