The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 05:04 AM

This is a bit concerning to me if the E8D has a thick neck because I’m getting ready to purchase one and I have small hands. I have an E10SS and I don’t notice it being particularly thick. I think it feels great. I wonder if they are similar? Anybody know? But sometimes I don’t notice things unless they are pointed out. We shall see how I like it. I’m getting it anyway based upon everything I’ve read and watched videos on them. I don’t currently have a rosewood guitar and want one.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 12-02-2021, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
This is a bit concerning to me if the E8D has a thick neck because I’m getting ready to purchase one and I have small hands. I have an E10SS and I don’t notice it being particularly thick. I think it feels great. I wonder if they are similar? Anybody know? But sometimes I don’t notice things unless they are pointed out. We shall see how I like it. I’m getting it anyway based upon everything I’ve read and watched videos on them. I don’t currently have a rosewood guitar and want one.
I've owned one electric guitar and one ancient (1930's maybe?) acoustic guitar that had what I'd called "baseball bat" necks. I mean so chunky I don't know how anyone could wrap their hands all the way around them and still play.

The Eastman necks aren't anything like that. They're similar to what Collings would call a Vintage Now. Noticeably rounder and deeper than any neck on a Taylor or a Modified Low Oval Martin but not huge.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-02-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I've owned one electric guitar and one ancient (1930's maybe?) acoustic guitar that had what I'd called "baseball bat" necks. I mean so chunky I don't know how anyone could wrap their hands all the way around them and still play.

The Eastman necks aren't anything like that. They're similar to what Collings would call a Vintage Now. Noticeably rounder and deeper than any neck on a Taylor or a Modified Low Oval Martin but not huge.
Yup I’m probably overthinking or overreacting based on a few comments. I’m sure they are valid concerns for those people but may not be for me. I’ll just wait and find out. If it’s too thick then I may just get the next shaved down too.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Old 12-02-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I have a E10ss/v, a E2D (cedar) and a E20D-TC. The neck for the E10ss/v is noticeably different from the dreads. It has a narrower nut so it is narrower overall but it is also quite thinner. However, the thing is the necks for the E2D and the E20D are also quite different even though they have the same nut width. The E20D is a much fuller/rounder neck all the way up, more of full C profile, while the E2D is a shallower C or even halfway to a D.

Eastman necks are made by hand and that means they end up with subtle (or not so subtle) differences even on the same model. The neck on the E2D-CD is perfect for me. Still, to tell you the truth, after a the first few times playing a new guitar, the neck profile mostly fades to the background unless it makes me trip up.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shishigashira View Post
I have a E10ss/v, a E2D (cedar) and a E20D-TC. The neck for the E10ss/v is noticeably different from the dreads. It has a narrower nut so it is narrower overall but it is also quite thinner. However, the thing is the necks for the E2D and the E20D are also quite different even though they have the same nut width. The E20D is a much fuller/rounder neck all the way up, more of full C profile, while the E2D is a shallower C or even halfway to a D.

Eastman necks are made by hand and that means they end up with subtle (or not so subtle) differences even on the same model. The neck on the E2D-CD is perfect for me. Still, to tell you the truth, after a the first few times playing a new guitar, the neck profile mostly fades to the background unless it makes me trip up.
Well I met a forum member and bought his Eastman E8D TC. Honestly I don’t really have any issues with the neck thickness. My hands are too small to wrap my thumb over the low E string on any guitar so this doesn’t bother me. I’m very pleased with the guitar. Amazing bang for the buck.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Old 12-06-2021, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
...Eastman needs to keep the full neck profiles! In fact, they should add that as an option to the SS models. I’d buy one in a heartbeat if they didn’t have super skinny necks.
Yep, this.

Quote:
Well I met a forum member and bought his Eastman E8D TC. Honestly I don’t really have any issues with the neck thickness. My hands are too small to wrap my thumb over the low E string on any guitar so this doesn’t bother me. I’m very pleased with the guitar. Amazing bang for the buck.
Glad it worked out for you! I got both of the Eastman TC Alpine dreads this year, and I'm really enjoying both of them. I have bigger hands, so neck shape has never bothered me as much as nut width and string spacing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion