The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
Bad Blood, on Netflix- about the Canadian Mafia, based on a true story- it's kind of like the Godfather, but Canadian-

Interestingly, one of the main characters is kind of into guitars.
Bad Blood is a great show! Kim Coates (Declan) does an outstanding job. I wish there was another season but I don't think there is. For those who don't know, Kim played the character "Tig Tragger" on Sons of Anarchy.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:44 AM

I'm currently in the conundrum of having nothing left to watch on Netflix so I'm waiting patiently for the final season of the Expanse to drop. Until then I've gone back to watching reruns of Star Trek : Enterprise.

I have a serious question though: is it worth it to try out Hulu if I'm paying $200 for a cable package that I don't fully utilize? How about Disney and Paramount Plus?
Old 12-01-2021, 08:33 AM

I watched, Felon, last night on netflix- very plausible.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:55 AM

I love all the recommendations here! Watching 'Bad Blood' currently and am hooked on it. The fact that is based on facts makes it more real. Thank you all for your suggestions.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

My wife and I just discovered The Marvelous Mrs Maisel on prime video the other nite….unique story…great acting…bawdy….and funny as all get out…
Old 12-03-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I'm currently in the conundrum of having nothing left to watch on Netflix so I'm waiting patiently for the final season of the Expanse to drop. Until then I've gone back to watching reruns of Star Trek : Enterprise.

I have a serious question though: is it worth it to try out Hulu if I'm paying $200 for a cable package that I don't fully utilize? How about Disney and Paramount Plus?
I think it comes down to if there's a show or two that you really want to watch. I wouldn't purchase if I didn't know what was available before hand.

$200 cable package? Any way to trim that down so that you can justify getting additional streaming services?

BTW, Enterprise is (was) a great show.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:11 PM

My wife and I watched the movie The Electrical Life Of Louis Wain on Prime last night. My wife's cousin recommended it to us, and we've enjoyed her viewing suggestions in the past, but we both found this biographical film to be depressingly tragic. Even the presence of my wife's favorite actor, Benedict Cumberbatch, couldn't lift us above the genuine tragedy of the life that was Louis Wain's, and the screen play's weak attempts to do so were ineffectual at best. Not a bad film, but not a great one and one that will leave you with some sad truths about how some people are given more than their share of life's hardships.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-04-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
…… the presence of my wife's favorite actor, Benedict Cumberbatch…...
Funny you’d mention Cumberbatch.We watched him last night in The Power Of the Dog on Netflix. Set in 1925 Montana (but actually shot in New Zealand), this film has the slooooowest pace we’ve seen in a long while but the twisted ending makes it worth your while to put up with first hour+ of near agony.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
My wife and I watched the movie The Electrical Life Of Louis Wain on Prime last night. My wife's cousin recommended it to us, and we've enjoyed her viewing suggestions in the past, but we both found this biographical film to be depressingly tragic. Even the presence of my wife's favorite actor, Benedict Cumberbatch, couldn't lift us above the genuine tragedy of the life that was Louis Wain's, and the screen play's weak attempts to do so were ineffectual at best. Not a bad film, but not a great one and one that will leave you with some sad truths about how some people are given more than their share of life's hardships.
We watched it last nigh (The Electrical Life Of Louis Wain). Terrific movie with a stellar performance by Cumberbatch. As with all "based on a true story" movies, you have to take some and leave some. The man had a good deal of set backs but he also had a great deal of artistic success and the latter may have possibly made up for the former, one might argue. Anyway, I suspect there will be statuettes handed over to this movie come awards season.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I've been binging on "Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath," which was an A&E docu-series that's streaming on Netflix. We probably can't get too far into the content, due to forum rules, but it's a fascinating look into the organization from former members (many of whom were within the inner circles).
Old 12-07-2021, 06:05 AM

I started "Power of the Dog" last night, on netflix- lasted maybe 15 minutes

Watched "Body of Lies" instead, with Leonardo DeCaprio and Russell Crowe. I enjoyed it.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
I started "Power of the Dog" last night, on netflix- lasted maybe 15 minutes
I can relate, I was ready to bail at some point as well, but my wife wanted to keep going. It’s a weird, weird film, and a slow burn. But we have been talking about it for two days now since we watched it. I’m glad we stuck it out.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I can relate, I was ready to bail at some point as well, but my wife wanted to keep going. It’s a weird, weird film, and a slow burn. But we have been talking about it for two days now since we watched it. I’m glad we stuck it out.
My cat said "stop" Dad!
Old 12-07-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I think it comes down to if there's a show or two that you really want to watch. I wouldn't purchase if I didn't know what was available before hand.

$200 cable package? Any way to trim that down so that you can justify getting additional streaming services?

BTW, Enterprise is (was) a great show.
We have the Xfinity phone/Internet/cable package and have two cable boxes/4 remotes. I'm willing to cut the cable and landline and just go with Internet. The landline is pretty much only being used to screen scammers anyway. As far as cable usage goes, I watch the local news; ESPN; AT&T Sports and my wife watches Food Network/HGTV. I avoid the national/international news (CNN, Fox, MSNBC) and quite frankly I find broadcast television incredibly stale. The only real advantage is using the speech recognition on the remotes but they're proving to be unreliable; they typically only work after the 3rd attempt.

In all honesty after upgrading to a Smart TV downstairs I don't see the need for the additional hardware anyway. I'd like to convert it, the bedroom television upstairs to Firestick or Roku and put another in my office. We get much more use out of our WiFi anyway - but would likely have to upgrade it.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
We have the Xfinity phone/Internet/cable package and have two cable boxes/4 remotes. I'm willing to cut the cable and landline and just go with Internet. The landline is pretty much only being used to screen scammers anyway. As far as cable usage goes, I watch the local news; ESPN; AT&T Sports and my wife watches Food Network/HGTV. I avoid the national/international news (CNN, Fox, MSNBC) and quite frankly I find broadcast television incredibly stale. The only real advantage is using the speech recognition on the remotes but they're proving to be unreliable; they typically only work after the 3rd attempt.

In all honesty after upgrading to a Smart TV downstairs I don't see the need for the additional hardware anyway. I'd like to convert it, the bedroom television upstairs to Firestick or Roku and put another in my office. We get much more use out of our WiFi anyway - but would likely have to upgrade it.
Neil,
Have you given YouTube TV a look? It has local channels in my area as well as most of what Spectrum gouged me on monthly. It cut my bill by fifty a month.

No cable boxes. With a smart tv, you’re good to go.

Optima dies, prima fugit

Last edited by Jim Owen; 12-07-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic