The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-01-2021, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Michel Aboudib MA-D Sapiens I (Fall)

Updating with pictures of the bridge installation.

I really like the way the rosette and top look under finish.

Michel will be installing a bone nut and saddle and ebony bridge pins with MOP dot inlays and should be stringing this guitar up soon!
Old 12-01-2021, 01:30 PM

That is very lovely indeed. I'm not surprised you're pleased with the way it looks
Old 12-01-2021, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

The top, the bridge, and the rosette all look incredible--you must be getting excited!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

Last edited by Nemoman; 12-01-2021 at 01:40 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-01-2021, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Wow! I got behind on this thread and just binged the last 4 or so updates. Michel is doing stellar work across the board here. This will be a very special guitar. To echo what everyone else said, the bridge is a masterpiece...and I love the finish selection.

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Very excited to see how this turns out! I'm curious did you discuss target weight at all and where it is landing? One of the appealing things of the show guitar to me was how light it was.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Michel Aboudib MA-D Sapiens (Fall)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
That is very lovely indeed. I'm not surprised you're pleased with the way it looks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
The top, the bridge, and the rosette all look incredible--you must be getting excited!
Thank you Martin and Kevin. I am pleased and excited about how this guitar is shaping up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 View Post
Wow! I got behind on this thread and just binged the last 4 or so updates. Michel is doing stellar work across the board here. This will be a very special guitar. To echo what everyone else said, the bridge is a masterpiece...and I love the finish selection.
Thank you John, I love the bridge too. It is similar to the bridge on the MA-M guitar he brought to B.I.G. with some minor variations / embellishments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Very excited to see how this turns out! I'm curious did you discuss target weight at all and where it is landing? One of the appealing things of the show guitar to me was how light it was.
Hey Aspiring, I didn't discuss the weight of the guitar with Michel. His MA-D model has a slightly larger and deeper body than the MA-M model he brought to B.I.G. but I still expect it to be a relatively light guitar even with the ebony back and sides.

Bridge with the saddle and pins installed:

African Ebony Back of the guitar under finish:

The guitar still has yet to be buffed out, set up and intonated but we're getting very close now!
Old 12-03-2021, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

..that bridge...

..even shines next to that lovely rosette...

Nice!
Old 12-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Michel Aboudib MA-D Sapiens I (Fall) - Back in the U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
..that bridge...

..even shines next to that lovely rosette...

Nice!
Hey Lonzo, I know right? That bridge is a work of art.

Back in the U.S.A.

Michel mentioned to me at the B.I.G. guitar show over Labor Day weekend that he would be returning to the U.S. from France from late November through mid December. When I commissioned this guitar I was cautiously optimistic that he might be able to bring it with him if it was finished by then and I could avoid international shipping, customs, duties etc.

As it turns out, Michel did complete the bridge installation and put strings on this guitar for the first time just a couple of days before Thanksgiving - shortly before his scheduled departure for California.

He will complete final intonation and set up of the guitar here in the U.S., play it and let it settle in for a while before shipping it to me from California.

Before leaving France, Michel was able to record a short video on his iphone of Antoine Aubry improvising on this guitar, (prior to set-up and intonation) for a sneak preview.

I am happy to report that Michel and this guitar have both arrived safely in California. The guitar came over in a really nice new lightweight (7 lbs.) BAM Dreadnought Guitar Case. Michel reports that it was a breeze carrying the guitar on his back through the airport using the backpack straps that came with the case. He was allowed to bring the guitar on board and stow it in a coat closet at the front for the duration of his flight.

He also offers a custom fit Calton flight case as an upgrade option but since the wait time was 10+ weeks I happily went with the BAM. He gave me the option of ordering a Calton down the line and having it direct shipped to me from Austin at his luthier pricing which I really appreciate.

Pictures of the MA-D in it's BAM Case upon his arrival in the U.S.:

More information and specs for the BAM case can be seen HERE

Up next will be final set up and intonation information and pictures, stay tuned for that.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 12-11-2021 at 07:46 AM. Reason: add transport info
Old 12-05-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Thanks Sam, it was nice meeting you at B.I.G. and getting to know you better since then. I'm sure Michel would be happy to commission another custom guitar for you!
Excellent meeting you, too.

I blinked and he's done with this guitar already. This has to be one of the fastest acoustic builds ever.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:41 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Sounds great! Seems to be very responsive. You must be having difficulty sleeping in anticipation.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Wow, really stunning looking Doug! Can't wait to see it in person once you've gotten it. I'm sure you're tingling looking forward to receiving it.
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 12-06-2021, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Michel Aboudib MA-D Sapiens I (Fall) - Somoygi Apprenticeship

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Excellent meeting you, too.

I blinked and he's done with this guitar already. This has to be one of the fastest acoustic builds ever.
Hi Sam, Michel was very diligent with his work schedule in order to be able to have the guitar ready to bring with him for his current stay in the U.S.. He knew I was fine if he finished the guitar after he returned to France, but to his credit, he did a great job with his time management on this build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Sounds great! Seems to be very responsive. You must be having difficulty sleeping in anticipation.
Hey Dennis, it really helped getting to hear and play the guitar he brought to B.I.G. to have an idea of how mine would sound. Michel says the sound potential will be fully realized after he completes the voicing, intonation and set up of the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
Wow, really stunning looking Doug! Can't wait to see it in person once you've gotten it. I'm sure you're tingling looking forward to receiving it.
Hey Jim, thank you and I am looking forward to receiving this guitar soon and you're welcome to come try it out.

Ervin Somogyi Visit:

The final voicing, intonation and setup for this guitar is being completed at Ervin Somoygi's Workshop where Michel is for his 15 day apprenticeship consideration.

Spoiler: Michel will begin his apprenticeship with Ervin in early next year!

Michel shared with me that Ervin was complementary in his remarks about this guitar, the rosette, bridge and overall construction, which I was happy to hear.

Here are a couple of pictures of the workspace where Michel is working on this guitar:

Here is a bit of what Michel had to say:

"The saddle is setup first by comparing the 2nd (or 3rd) fret notes to the 14th (or 15th). Of course it is at an angle which takes care of some of the compensation. Then it is compensated for each string." "Then the nut is compensated by comparing the open string to the 12th fret notes. I used the capo during intonation to be able to intonate the nut." The picture below is of the make-shift capo that Ervin made for Michel to use in this process.

Michel has now completed the final work on the guitar and says it will be in my hands in just a few days now. I can't wait!

Last edited by doodahdoug; 02-03-2023 at 07:49 AM. Reason: verbiage
Old 12-07-2021, 02:32 PM

Wow, what a beautiful guitar. It was really nice meeting Michel at BIG and the guitar he showed there was really unique. He seems like an up and coming star. I hope he gets to spend more time with Ervin. Congrats on this one!

Last edited by inc0herent; 12-07-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

This really looks great, Doug--I'm excited for you.

And now it will have some built-in Somogyi mojo!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-08-2021, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Michel Aboudib MA-D Sapiens I (Fall) - Inbound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc0herent View Post
Wow, what a beautiful guitar. It was really nice meeting Michel at BIG and the guitar he showed there was really unique. He seems like an up and coming star. I hope he gets to spend more time with Ervin. Congrats on this one!
Thanks Seth, I'm glad you were able to meet Michel and play the MA-M guitar he brought with him to B.I.G. Michel will be with Ervin for the remainder of the week before returning home to France this weekend. He will return to Oakland to begin his full-time apprenticeship with Ervin early next year.

When Seth introduced himself to me Saturday at Tom and Kathi's B.I.G. show he said "hello Doug, I'm inc0herent". I told him, "yeah, you really have to pace yourself when sampling the Texas whiskey offerings at Tom's place or you just might come home with a new guitar". Badda boom! Just kidding, of course, but it was nice to meet you there, and I believe we both came home with new guitars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
This really looks great, Doug--I'm excited for you.

And now it will have some built-in Somogyi mojo!
Thanks Kevin, and yes, a little of that mojo in the voicing wouldn't hurt one bit!

The guitar is currently making it's way to me from Oakland to DFW so I should have it in my hands soon now!

Until then, below are several studio pictures of the guitar taken in France by Antoine Aubry.

Studio Pictures:

Thanks for following along this journey with me!

Last edited by doodahdoug; 02-03-2023 at 07:51 AM. Reason: verbiage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop