The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-30-2021, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Building out a recording studio

I'm taking out a wall and combining a bedroom + storage area into a recording studio. I'd appreciate any tips, thoughts, insights into materials and designs for flooring, walls, cable runs in walls, CAT5, lighting, insulation, ventilation, acoustics, anything else I've forgotten, etc.

I also want to get a mixing board for the finished project and I'm wrestling with digital/analog mixers. I like the feel of the mechanical sliders and knobs but I like the features of the digital boards as far as saving projects and being able to remix at a later time, presets, size, remotely controlled with iPad, etc. Insights/experiences on that subject as well would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry
Old 11-30-2021, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicianinthe View Post
I'm taking out a wall and combining a bedroom + storage area into a recording studio. I'd appreciate any tips, thoughts, insights into materials and designs for flooring, walls, cable runs in walls, CAT5, lighting, insulation, ventilation, acoustics, anything else I've forgotten, etc.

I also want to get a mixing board for the finished project and I'm wrestling with digital/analog mixers. I like the feel of the mechanical sliders and knobs but I like the features of the digital boards as far as saving projects and being able to remix at a later time, presets, size, remotely controlled with iPad, etc. Insights/experiences on that subject as well would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry
I'm new at this too, but don't think "digital" and "sliders" are mutually exclusive. I just got a Zoom Livetrack L-8, and am loving it so far. It is a digital mixer/recorder/interface, so it does it all. There are better offerings in dedicated mixers, recorders, and certainly interfaces, but this is a reasonable compromise, and it has an analog feel to it. There are so many options out there right now, and many quality options are very reasonably priced. All depends on how sophisticated you want to get, and the limits on your budget. But I think you can satisfy your digital/analog desires in one box.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-30-2021, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is one of the better forums on building a studio
https://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Quote:
Thanks,
Harry
I'm always curious what a mixing board might actually bring to the mixing equation ? Originally I one a Digi 002 (digital which had motorized mechanical faders) but sold it and don't really miss it .
Unless of course (If) you will be recording more than 8 inputs at a time , like with ensembles and bands etc ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-30-2021, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I'm always curious what a mixing board might actually bring to the mixing equation ?
I've wondered about that too since mixing boards come up here quite often. I can see the usefulness in live situations but for studio applications I'm not sure why I'd want to saddle myself with the extra work of having to have automation saved in two places rather than one. Plus, I suspect mixing boards will introduce some noise into the equation unless one spends thousands on a really high quality board. I've never looked into it, but I wonder if a control surface isn't a better option. If I understand how that works, it would provide the tactile faders but eliminate the connection that can introduce noise. I may be wrong on that though... I've never looked at them very hard because it's not something that I feel any need to own.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-30-2021, 12:04 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
This is one of the better forums on building a studio
https://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php
I'm also thinking about building out/modifying or possibly relocating in the next two years to set up shop.. So I love reading through stuff like this. Thanks!

Quote:
I'm always curious what a mixing board might actually bring ..
Good instagram photos for clients
Old 11-30-2021, 12:58 PM

Read Rod Gervais’ book “Home recording studio — build it like the pros”.

He knows what he’s talking about and goes into detail.

The John Sayers site is great too, but you want a book Gervais is complete.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Like_the_Pros
Basses
Electric guitars
Lap steel
Old 11-30-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I'd appreciate any tips, thoughts, insights into materials and designs for flooring, walls, cable runs in walls, CAT5, lighting, insulation, ventilation, acoustics, anything else I've forgotten, etc.
+1 on the John Sayers site AND the Rod Gervais book. I hung out there for years and learned a ton.

I think you'd learn way more, way quicker by hanging out there and asking questions. Your areas of concern seem pretty general and not acoustic guitar oriented.

However, this forum can be excellent if you have questions that are specific to recording acoustic guitar, which is an entire discipline of its own.

(I'll say on the Cat5 question to go for Cat6 for any new installs. And when possible run plastic conduit aka smurf tube inside the walls so that you can upgrade in the future.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-01-2021, 01:05 PM

Without a lot more information, we can only guess on practical suggestions.
What will be the overall size of the space?
Do you need to make it 'sound proof' (hopefully not, expensive and takes space).
What will you be recording besides guitar and vocals?
What do you have for recording gear already, and what's your budget?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-04-2021, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

To the OP or others-
I just got this, and quickly realized it is far beyond my level of interest, and my wife’s tolerance for yet another project!

It is free to whomever will put it to use, if you just pm me a mailing address. I will cover postage as well, since its that time of year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87D96F65-F849-4E99-A54D-7DC09DF9843C.jpg (37.3 KB, 60 views)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-04-2021, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Lots a of great resources out in the digital domain. Some of the info, though informative is not practical or affordable.

Here’s a vid I found To help with a home studio build. Mitch Gallagher also has an informative book about the process
https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Desi.../dp/159863285X

Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 12-05-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Lots a of great resources out in the digital domain. Some of the info, though informative is not practical or affordable.

Here’s Avis I found To help with a home studio build. Mitch Gallagher also has an informative book about the process
https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Desi.../dp/159863285X

Your comment on affordability is very true, and the amount that someone considers reasonable for creating a "home studio" varies wildly.

There are some who post questions here that really don't want to spend much over the price of a handheld recorder and those who have an obviously much higher budget in mind, and all points in between.

One resource that is available and has many suggestions for low cost studio solutions is Graham Cochrane's Recording Revolution website. He has several free Youtube videos to help newbies get started, and has a great attitude for those who want a simple home studio on a limited budget.

Here's a link to his website's free resources page, including the "Building a Home Recording Studio for under $350" video.

https://www.recordingrevolution.com/...ording-studio/
Old 12-04-2021, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Here's a link to his website's free resources page, including the "Building a Home Recording Studio for under $350" video.

https://www.recordingrevolution.com/...ording-studio/
That's reasonable advice for the person who can't have a dedicated space for recording and has to make do with a bedroom that has to remain a bedroom, but the OP says he wants to build a space and it makes little sense to expend that effort and not build a bunch of bass traps to make the room a lot less problematic. The avoidance of room treatment is the biggest obstacle to achieving quality recordings for the home recordist.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-04-2021, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
The avoidance of room treatment is the biggest obstacle to achieving quality recordings for the home recordist.
Could not agree more I equate it to a good foundation for building a house.
Spend the extra time to get the foundation level, and square (I mean like within an 1/8 or better yet 1/16 and YES it is possible ) everything else will be much easier and exponentially faster to get right. Which is exactly what proper effective room treatment does for recording and mixing

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD