The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2021, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Gonna Keep the Schertler Jam 400

Played a gig last Sunday w/ it, the acoustic version of our band. I'd been trying to sell it here on the classifieds, but dang, it sounds so good I'm convinced nothing could replaced it but a new Schertler.

I was going to buy an EV Evolve just for the ease of hauling it around but GAS has subsided. I own the Jam 400 and I'd still be spending more bucks so the Schertler stays. Saved myself some $$s.

Sometimes you're "better off w/ what you have" might be the lesson here.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:19 AM

It's a great company. I own a Unico and I just love that amp. Clear tone, loud, but crystal clear. Thumbs up!
Taylor 314ce (2012)
Fender American Series Stratocaster (2000)
Boss RC500 Loop Station
Old 11-30-2021, 01:44 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I have a Schertler Roy, but I mostly use a EAE D6-58. The Roy can handle a much bigger space though, including larger outdoor jobs where the D6-58 simply doesn’t have enough oomph. Plus, the Roy sounds absolutely wonderful. It has this power in the low frequency range that is really impressive. The Roy will take you right up to the point where if you need more, you should probably hire a trucked in PA. I would rather keep it than take the price I would get selling it used, even if I only use it occasionally.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:49 PM

Yeah it’s a great design and well executed. And once you get it out of the car and on the stand, it’s all the same.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:43 PM

....nice amp....how many channels?
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 11-30-2021, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgt178 View Post
....nice amp....how many channels?
three low z, two high z and a stereo channel.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:02 AM

What’s the story with that unit? I’m not familiar with them.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtxaz21 View Post
What’s the story with that unit? I’m not familiar with them.
Swiss designed and built. high end audiophile components,... a quick google search for Schertler will give you more info.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:09 AM

Default Gonna Keep the Schertler Jam 400

The fidelity on the Schertler amps is very high. The highs are crystal clear and the lows feel like a subwoofer even though there isn’t one. My only complaint is really the weight and size, though when you need the power, that is also it’s best asset.

The Roy and the Jam 400 are the same size and power.

As compared to the D6-58, the fidelity is very close. The Roy has far more power of course, but the D6-58 is a good match for all but the biggest spaces.

The one thing that the Roy does very well is to hold a constant tonal balance from the softest to the loudest volumes. The Bose L1 systems also do that. Let’s say you turn it up to the softest volume where you can barely tell that it is on over the acoustic sound. Even at that low level, you can already begin to feel the bass hitting you in the chest. That balance across the frequency spectrum stays exactly the same right up into painful listening levels.

The same thing with the clarity. At low volumes, it is difficult to hear where the acoustic sound from your mic and guitar ends and the amplified sound begins. That clarity holds all the way up into painful levels. It really sounds amazing. The D6-58 distorts like other amps if you try to turn it up that loud. Fortunately, I rarely seem to need to.

I do have complaints. The notch filters aren’t sweepable. There are just two frequency choices. Only two channels have sweepable mids. The reverb sounds a little segmented, though that gets smoothed over completely once the natural room augments it.

I put a stand mount on the bottom of my Roy and use it with a very heavy duty short speaker stand. In my opinion, this is a necessary mod. It should come that way.

My only real complaint is that it is too big and heavy for most gigs. You need a hand truck to move it any distance. That is why I use the D6-58 most of the time. When you need the power though, it is the perfect amp.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:59 AM

I have looked at this a several times on the classifieds and definitely would seriously consider buying it if....it wasn't so far away (and no shipping). Atlanta area is a long way from Michigan's upper peninsula. I too am considering getting something a bit more portable and I'm considering getting a Fishman 330X if I can sell my current system of Yamaha DXR 10's; Soundcraft EFX8. But the Shertler looked really nice.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I had quite a few folks offer to buy if I would ship, all I had to to was deliver the Jam 400 to UPS and they'd pack, buyer would pay. Had a guy from NYC who just wanted mine as a spare.

Honestly, I just didn't want to deal with the very small chance there would be issues in shipping, damaged or lost,..I've shipped plenty of guitars and a few amps in the past with only one amp having it's cabinet split,... but something told me to avoid shipping the Schertler.

I'm just going to buck up and deal with the weight, though I swear it's heavier than when I bought it.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I'm just going to buck up and deal with the weight, though I swear it's heavier than when I bought it.
Equipment has a tendency to gain weight as we age. [emoji23]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification