The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2022, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
OP here...I thought I would post an epilog to this thread. I now have done a few gigs with the Pro8
and it has worked well. It has plenty of power and the transportability is good.
I liked it enough to purchase a T4s to go with it for ease of connection. It is now my go to PA. I see myself using it even in smaller indoor settings where I might use an S1, since the 2 have a similar footprint and the Pro8 sounds so much better.

Thanks to all for your input and advice.
Glad its working out. I did a similar thing, plus "1"! I bought a Bose T4S mixer and I also bought a second Bose L1 Pro 8 for time when I need wider dispersion. The Tonematch Mixer with the pair of Bose is exceptional
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-02-2022, 08:00 PM

Just got the Pro 8 today and so far so good. I did have a hard time with the app controls, which are always presented as working just like a digital knob or dial — as in, you scroll your finger around the circle edge of the dial to turn it up or down. WRONG! It took me about an hour or so, messing around with those controls on my phone, to realize that all your finger has to do is touch the correct on-screen ‘dial” and then go straight up or straight down to turn the level up or down. No need at all to go around the edge of the dial “circle” — in fact, as I said, that won’t work!
QUESTION: I want to connect the Pro 8 line out to my S1 Pro AUX Input, but if I’m understanding this, I need an XLR-to-1/8” cable, correct? The only kind of line-in connector that will work with the S1 is the 1/8” as far as I know. Do I have this right? I’m quite sure I’ve never seen an XLR-to-1/8” cable!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-02-2022, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Just got the Pro 8 today and so far so good. I did have a hard time with the app controls, which are always presented as working just like a digital knob or dial — as in, you scroll your finger around the circle edge of the dial to turn it up or down. WRONG! It took me about an hour or so, messing around with those controls on my phone, to realize that all your finger has to do is touch the correct on-screen ‘dial” and then go straight up or straight down to turn the level up or down. No need at all to go around the edge of the dial “circle” — in fact, as I said, that won’t work!
QUESTION: I want to connect the Pro 8 line out to my S1 Pro AUX Input, but if I’m understanding this, I need an XLR-to-1/8” cable, correct? The only kind of line-in connector that will work with the S1 is the 1/8” as far as I know. Do I have this right? I’m quite sure I’ve never seen an XLR-to-1/8” cable!
are your other channels of the S1 Pro being used? If not, I run a standard XLR from the Line-out of the L1 Pro 8 to an input channel (1 or 2) in my S1 Pro. Otherwise, yes you probably need the XLR out from Bose to go to the 1/8" mini on the Aux channel of the S1 Pro.

PS: I use the App for my L1 Pro 8 and I didn't realize you just need to touch the button and then go straight up or down. Thanks for that! All this time ...I feel silly not knowing that. LOL
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-02-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
are your other channels of the S1 Pro being used? If not, I run a standard XLR from the Line-out of the L1 Pro 8 to an input channel (1 or 2) in my S1 Pro. Otherwise, yes you probably need the XLR out from Bose to go to the 1/8" mini on the Aux channel of the S1 Pro. PS: I use the App for my L1 Pro 8 and I didn't realize you just need to touch the button and then go straight up or down. Thanks for that! All this time ...I feel silly not knowing that. LOL
Thanks, Gary. I had tried the XLR on both ends and got no signal. I figured out my error — I was playing music from my phone — not a guitar or mic signal — thinking that would also be heard through the S1, but I guess not. I just tried the mic channel, with the S1 connected into Channel 1, and it worked fine. Thanks!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-02-2022, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Thanks, Gary. I tried the XLR on both ends and got no signal. I thought that would work too. I’ll try again though.
It does work. I do it at every gig. Are you using the Line out from the Bose to an input channel on the S1? You have to dial up channel volume on the S1 pro to the loudness you want. Don't mean this to sound wrong, but is the S1 Powered on and the volume up to the desired level on the S1 Pro channel you are using? No reason it shouldn't work.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-02-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
It does work. I do it at every gig. Are you using the Line out from the Bose to an input channel on the S1? You have to dial up channel volume on the S1 pro to the loudness you want. Don't mean this to sound wrong, but is the S1 Powered on and the volume up to the desired level on the S1 Pro channel you are using? No reason it shouldn't work.
Ha — I hit “send” on my previous reply before finishing, and you probably read it before I went back and finished/edited it. Yup, it’s all working fine now. My error is explained above… thanks! PM also sent, by the way….

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-03-2022, 09:37 AM

WOW! I also had no clue as to how to use the “rotary” knobs on the app. Thanks for mentioning this.
I need this kind of info for my World Tour. No, it’s not actually booked, but I am hopeful that someone will discover me soon and get this going….
Old 03-03-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
WOW! I also had no clue as to how to use the “rotary” knobs on the app. Thanks for mentioning this.
I need this kind of info for my World Tour. No, it’s not actually booked, but I am hopeful that someone will discover me soon and get this going….
I do find stuff like this -- manufacturers neglecting to give us a very valuable bit of important info -- a bit amazing. No where that I know of does Bose give you any clue whatsoever that, yes, we've designed the rotary knobs on the app to look just like the knobs on your gear, but no, you actually operate them in an entirely different, and entirely non-intuitive, way. At the very least, they could clearly show a user, in their videos, properly using those app controls and clearly showing the up/down instead of rotary, finger motions. I'm taking a little comfort in knowing that it wasn't apparently just me who's had a little trouble with this!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification