The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2022, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

I know a lot of good suggestions have focused on changing strings, and even your picks, but from my experience, different strings and picks can only "fine tune" your tone. They cannot fundamentally change the essence of your instrument. You cannot turn a guitar that has dominent highs (bright, chimey, and orchestral) into a warm, mellow and smooth instrument. Not going to happen. You can certainly tinker with the tone as many have suggested but in the end, "it is what it is".

What you have described is the basic Taylor sound. I happen to like it and enjoy playing my Taylor 914ce but when I want mellow and smokey, I move to a different guitar. Different woods, different temperment, and maybe a different builder.

You really should consider buying a second guitar. If that's not possible, you should try some of the suggestions others have made but understand that there are trade-offs when trying to have a single "all-purpose" guitar.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 01-14-2022, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

After two decades of ownership it's understandable you want to "solve" this instead of just selling (I agree). Strings might get you there but I'd try different saddle material(s) from whatever is in there now. In my experience it can have significant impact on tone in sometimes unexpected ways (good and bad). Not expensive and worth a try I think to save a long time "friend"...and you can always pop the old one back in. If nothing works, I'd try to keep it and get a second if you can swing it. Those memories are hard to replace and your ear might change again, or at the very least, you might enjoy have tonal alternatives.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:58 PM

Never too old for a second marriage.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 01-15-2022, 03:23 PM

This worked for me to achieve exactly what the OP asks for. And it is easily reversible and non-destructive.

Cut a sliver of manila folder material and slide it in between the front face of the saddle and the front wall of the saddle slot. I find this knocks down the highest overtones without affecting the fundamentals very much. You'll need a little clearance in the saddle slot; the manila material is about .0105" thick.

If it doesn't work or you don't like it, pull it back out. No harm no foul.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:26 AM

I will try it. I like the sound of the guitar now but further mellowness would be nice.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:56 AM

I could not fit the folder slice in the front face of the saddle, but I put it in the bottom and it does seem to tame some of the frequencies that are too sharp or sparkly. Thank you.

I love the Santa Cruz strings but they are very expensive, so I will try these ones next, as suggested by AGF members:

GHS Silk and Bronze
D’Addario Silk and Steel
Elixir Polywebs
Newtone roundwound 12/54

The guitar is sounding very good now in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench68 View Post
This worked for me to achieve exactly what the OP asks for. And it is easily reversible and non-destructive.

Cut a sliver of manila folder material and slide it in between the front face of the saddle and the front wall of the saddle slot. I find this knocks down the highest overtones without affecting the fundamentals very much. You'll need a little clearance in the saddle slot; the manila material is about .0105" thick.

If it doesn't work or you don't like it, pull it back out. No harm no foul.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:13 AM

Did you try coated strings ?
Based on my non scientific experience,
I would go from least muffled to most muffled :
Dr Dragon Skin
Elixir NANOweb
D'Addario EXP
Elixir POLYweb
Old 02-17-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Did you try coated strings ?
Based on my non scientific experience,
I would go from least muffled to most muffled :
Dr Dragon Skin
Elixir NANOweb
D'Addario EXP
Elixir POLYweb
No but I tried the Nano strings on a guitar at the guitar store and I thought they sounded amazingly bright, actually. I might try the Polywebs later.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:16 AM

I'm sorry but you have a nice guitar that you're emotionally attached to.....be done with it and pay a whole 36.00 a year for 2 sets of Santa Cruze low tension strings! Don't shortchange your ears!
Old 02-18-2022, 01:56 AM

I had the exact same problem... tried countless strings and end up selling my 414Ce (2011), and play Martins. (I went through Gibson between both)
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-18-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstorecowboy View Post
No but I tried the Nano strings on a guitar at the guitar store and I thought they sounded amazingly bright, actually. I might try the Polywebs later.
I forgot to name the Martin Retro Monel...
Old 03-26-2022, 10:46 PM

I am using the Optima Silk & Steel now. The guitar sounds great.

My shipment of the other strings has been delayed for months "because Covid." But should arrive this week.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:35 AM

I have owned many Taylor guitars and have read about the "bright" tone on them for years, so yes, change strings, put strings that are "warmer" than Elixers.

Having said that, Taylor is addressing this by making guitars with mahogany tops that go a long way to creating a warmer, less bright tone. I have two now that sound great and go a long way toward taming that bright tone.

Last edited by robrick; 03-27-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrick View Post
I have owned many Taylor guitars and have read about the "bright" tone on them for years, so yes, change strings, put strings that are "warmer" than Elixers.

Having said that, Taylor is addressing this by making guitars with mahogany tops that go a long way do creating a warmer, less bright tone. I have two now that sound great and go a long way toward taming that bright tone.
I am one of those who I thought was "not a Taylor guy." Maybe it's genetic, like having that gene that makes cilantro taste like soap. Anyhow, I was in a music store 2 or or 3 weeks ago to get some reeds, and I spotted a Taylor 327 (slope shoulder, mahogany top) and gave it a try. Man, it sounded like some old, mellow folky guitar that had been hiding in Grandpa's attic for the last fifty years. I loved it, and it was so easy to play. If you love Taylors but want that more mellow sound, give their 327 a try.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion