The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-28-2021, 09:14 AM

Growing up with had a great dog and it seemed like every few weeks I'd have to go in the backyard for "poop patrol". Easy to do in the winter when it's frozen.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Growing up with had a great dog and it seemed like every few weeks I'd have to go in the backyard for "poop patrol". Easy to do in the winter when it's frozen.
At -40C we'd need a pick axe.

I wish we could let it go as long as a few weeks.

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!
Old 02-28-2021, 09:41 AM

Just came inside from this exact chore. I don't mind at all.

We ran out of space to use it as landfill long ago, though the odd bit gets buried to discourage skunks and digging. Some goes in a composter and used later to spread under trees and bushes (as distinct from the garden compost which is kitchen waste), and some gets bagged/boxed up for a trip to the local landfill site. I get boxes from the liquor store and fill them from a pile we maintain under a lilac. The boxes are easy to transport in the pickup truck or utility trailer.

It's still February so there's another month or more before the great spring clean up, but I like the yard totally spruced up before the bride goes out to plant the vegetable gardens.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Living in an apartment, using the little plastic bags and throwing them in the trash is the way. Here, you are not supposed to put it in organic waste recycling, so trash it is.

I have only one dog and he isn't all that big.

If I lived on my own property, I might consider composting it with garden waste.
Yes. If we go on a city walk we stoop and scoop as well.

But I've always had an issue with the concept of placing organic matter in inorganic plastic so it can't decompose. Seems like a double negative.

I am waiting for "them" to come up with a sturdy, but 100% degradable bag, for all kinds of waste management...not only for excrement.

I know the technology exists. I don't know why it's taking so long.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
Just came inside from this exact chore. I don't mind at all.

We ran out of space to use it as landfill long ago, though the odd bit gets buried to discourage skunks and digging. Some goes in a composter and used later to spread under trees and bushes (as distinct from the garden compost which is kitchen waste), and some gets bagged/boxed up for a trip to the local landfill site. I get boxes from the liquor store and fill them from a pile we maintain under a lilac. The boxes are easy to transport in the pickup truck or utility trailer.

It's still February so there's another month or more before the great spring clean up, but I like the yard totally spruced up before the bride goes out to plant the vegetable gardens.
Our 4 mostly use the "dog yard" but our Australian Cattle Dog does chores with us, and poops all over. I am going to have to start picking up that mess too. It's not particularly offensive (we live in a dry, sandy area) but the visuals bother me...lol.

If he'd just go at the edges/borders of the lawn/bush I wouldn't notice, but he likes to use the pathways we tend to walk on.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety View Post
At -40C we'd need a pick axe.

I wish we could let it go as long as a few weeks.
We used a shovel. Some snow/ice got included in the plastic grocery bag but that didn't matter.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

In June I'll be dog sitting for my cousins three canines outside Philadelphia. We were going over some logistics last night, and she told me that they'd arrange for their "waste disposal" person to clean up the yard. I was incredulous; that's actually a job? Evidently it is, and the guy evidently has more work than he can scoop....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-28-2021, 11:10 AM

Oh yes! It's a job! A service mostly utilized by the wealthier among us. I do think it has a more "legitimate" place for seniors or those with mobility issues though. But, if you can afford it, why not?

With all the pandemic pets, I'll bet that service will see growth.

Actually, if you were in good shape, wouldn't be a bad post-retirement job.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:14 AM

The best situation is to have enough open acreage and the right breeds of dogs. My friends with German Shepherds never had any dog poop anywhere that you could find, because those dogs went far, far from the house before doing anything. That all changed when they got a succession of 'in front of the porch poopers', and the Cocker Spaniel was the worst. Right in front of the steps and all along any trails made in the snow to get out to the cars.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-28-2021, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
The best situation is to have enough open acreage and the right breeds of dogs. My friends with German Shepherds never had any dog poop anywhere that you could find, because those dogs went far, far from the house before doing anything. That all changed when they got a succession of 'in front of the porch poopers', and the Cocker Spaniel was the worst. Right in front of the steps and all along any trails made in the snow to get out to the cars.
Ha!!! We agree on that, we have 165 acres and two Aussies. While in the winter time they do sometimes dump on the side of our driveway or road. It freezes and snow blows quite easily, Only rarely does it require a shovel in hand mine sweep operation

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-28-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ha!!! We agree on that, we have 165 acres and two Aussies. While in the winter time they do sometimes dump on the side of our driveway or road. It freezes and snow blows quite easily, Only rarely does it require a shovel in hand mine sweep operation
I don't know how much of a difference the intelligence level of the breed makes, but isn't it interesting that while the Cocker Spaniel poops right at the house, the Aussies and German Shepherds make sure to get as far away as possible.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 02-28-2021, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

We have a cat . Cat poo is the neighbour's problem! neaahhahaha.

Seriously we have a litter tray for him, but he prefers to take his business elsewhere .. so many cats in the neighbuorhood - who's to know?
Old 03-01-2021, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
We have a cat . Cat poo is the neighbour's problem! neaahhahaha.

Seriously we have a litter tray for him, but he prefers to take his business elsewhere .. so many cats in the neighbuorhood - who's to know?
Well, all I can say is it’s a good thing you don’t live near me.
Mr Kitty might have a problem doing that in my yard.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-01-2021, 07:21 AM

My hounds go as far from the house as they can,which is along the back fence.Behind my property is a piece of basically unused property owned by the town,it has a pond used by the fire dept.Over the fence it goes.When I first moved here my neighbor was feeding the feral cats in the area.They ate at her house and used my yard for a litter box.For the first year my dogs were eating the cat poop and had a near continuous case of various worms and intestinal parasites.The feeding station she had also attracted every skunk in the county.One day she says to me "have you smelt the skunks,I wonder why there are so many around".I said if you keep feeding them they wont go away.She says, oh no, I only feed the cats.Doh! She finally stopped the feeding when one night both her dogs got sprayed.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
A very small price to pay for what we receive in return. I'll scoop poop and wipe paws for as along as I can...
What is that benefit, exactly? Not to diminish your affections because even parenthood is a mixed blessing but there's also the drooling, the shedding, the begging at the table, the getting in your way when you're trying to walk somewhere. If you can put up with that then you must have a lot of patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety View Post
Yes! The spring melt! *bleh*

We do our best to keep things under control during the winter, but at -40 C it's not easy and no one is motivated to stay totally on top of it. A couple of years we tossed it over the fence and then raked it up when it all dried out late spring...and yes, it was a sh*tty job. I'd almost rather pick it up right away than do that again. But with 4 dogs emptying their bowels 2-4X a day it's not quite doable.
Yes, winter can be unsightly with all that unsightly muck but summertime is especially odorific. How close are you with your neighbors? I ask because I have a neighbor with a German shepherd and I've found some landmines on my side of the property line beyond the fence. She makes sure that I respect it and I'm thinking of throwing bacon through the gate when she charges at me; she's not always "neighborly." I fault the owners more than the dog though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic