The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-24-2021, 06:23 PM

Default Dogs...and doggy-doo management

If we can discuss men's undies , I thought it fair to ask about doggy-doo (or poop, or excrement, etc).

We have 4 dogs of varying sizes and ages. They mostly do their business in a fenced yard, which I dutifully clean up.

I don't mind cleaning up, but it's a LOT of material. Lately it's been going to landfill (legal) but I would like to try disposing of it more organically, and at home.

I have, in the past, just tossed it in the bushes (we live on an acreage), but it lasts almost forever. It's not in the way, and I can continue to do that, but I'd rather not.

Now I'd like to try a latrine.

The commercial types look to be too small, so they're out. I think we can probably dig a pit/trench that should work.

Has anyone done this? Advice?

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!
Old 02-25-2021, 08:16 AM

That’s one of the many reasons we don’t have a dog(s).
Two of our neighbors own two dogs each and I take great delight in watching them scoop the poop.
Not only that, but what a joy watching those critters go in the house with muddy wet paws.
No thanks.
YMMV.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-25-2021, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety View Post
If we can discuss men's undies , I thought it fair to ask about doggy-doo (or poop, or excrement, etc).

We have 4 dogs of varying sizes and ages. They mostly do their business in a fenced yard, which I dutifully clean up.

I don't mind cleaning up, but it's a LOT of material. Lately it's been going to landfill (legal) but I would like to try disposing of it more organically, and at home.

I have, in the past, just tossed it in the bushes (we live on an acreage), but it lasts almost forever. It's not in the way, and I can continue to do that, but I'd rather not.

Now I'd like to try a latrine.

The commercial types look to be too small, so they're out. I think we can probably dig a pit/trench that should work.

Has anyone done this? Advice?
There used to be a disposal unit called "Doggie Dooly" but that was years ago. I'm sure a google search should reveal something suitable?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-25-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Two of our neighbors own two dogs each and I take great delight in watching them scoop the poop.
Not only that, but what a joy watching those critters go in the house with muddy wet paws.
No thanks.
YMMV.
A very small price to pay for what we receive in return. I'll scoop poop and wipe paws for as along as I can...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-25-2021, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
No thanks.
YMMV.
So your user name is misdirection then ?

In that thought vein, good reason to not have kids, all those loaded diapers

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-25-2021, 12:13 PM

Default doggy-doo management

Perfect description of my last supervisor - had a title, but was in no way my (or anyone's) "superior"...
Old 02-25-2021, 12:32 PM

I've looked up various commercial units and none would be a great fit with our situation.

I take manure management seriously! But I need to know that it will work and it has to be convenient to use too.

I was just wondering if anyone else had dug a latrine/outhouse for their poop disposal and if they had any issues with it. I was assuming we'd dig down about 3 feet, and at least 3 feet wide - then cover the opening with a lid of some sort...then maybe layer the poop with some bacterial substance to help break it down?

I do know not to put the latrine too close to any food-producing garden or to ever use the compost from latrine (if that ever happens) on any food-producing garden.

If no one has tried it - we might give it a shot this summer and I'll report back.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I have extensive experience with doggie-doo. But I don't have a solution for you. Between the ages of seven and seventeen my job was to take care of dogs. My parents bred Basset Hounds and my step father was one of the first police dog handlers in the mid-west. I also was heavily involved in training police dogs for sheriff departments and police departments.

I remember one winter where the doo was thrown in a pile outside the dog kennels and shed. Come spring when it came time to deal with it it was a crappy job There was some hay involved with it and there wasn't a way to really get a shovel full. It got taken care of but don't pile it up for a latter date that's for sure.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-25-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I have extensive experience with doggie-doo. But I don't have a solution for you. Between the ages of seven and seventeen my job was to take care of dogs. My parents bred Basset Hounds and my step father was one of the first police dog handlers in the mid-west. I also was heavily involved in training police dogs for sheriff departments and police departments.

I remember one winter where the doo was thrown in a pile outside the dog kennels and shed. Come spring when it came time to deal with it it was a crappy job There was some hay involved with it and there wasn't a way to really get a shovel full. It got taken care of but don't pile it up for a latter date that's for sure.
Yes! The spring melt! *bleh*

We do our best to keep things under control during the winter, but at -40 C it's not easy and no one is motivated to stay totally on top of it. A couple of years we tossed it over the fence and then raked it up when it all dried out late spring...and yes, it was a sh*tty job. I'd almost rather pick it up right away than do that again. But with 4 dogs emptying their bowels 2-4X a day it's not quite doable.

Old 02-25-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
A very small price to pay for what we receive in return. I'll scoop poop and wipe paws for as along as I can...
Glad you’re happy.
Keep on scoopin’ then.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-25-2021, 04:19 PM

Doggie Dooley still exists. It's an in-ground septic disposal unit for dog waste. You do need the right kind of soil for it to drain. I looked into it recently, but our clay soil wasn't suitable. They use a "digester" enzyme table to help aid breakdown.

You said you looked at commercial units--these too? I guess it does say they only go up to "4 small dogs".
Old 02-27-2021, 08:04 AM

I think they're more geared to urban yards where folks tend to have 1 or 2 smaller dogs.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:04 AM

All I can say is that the bushes in the forest on the other side of my fence are very healthy...
Old 02-27-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I hear you.

We have had mongrels, Bearded Collies, and mostly Labrador Retrievers for the last 40 years and will keep up the process until we "pack it in".

My last guy slipped rapidly and only wanted to sleep outside his last two weeks. Unfortunately it was chilly and rainy, but I still slept outside with him, both of us under a blanket.

OK, maybe we love our dogs a bit TOO much!

As far as defecation goes, It's easy enough to use one of the plastic bags that are corn-starch based that we get all our groceries in.. I tie each top and send them off the the landfill where they can decompose in a respectful manner.

We do have acreage and could disperse on the property, but it does draw parasites, flies, and necessitates keeping a wire brush handy to clean shoe bottoms with.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-27-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:25 AM

Living in an apartment, using the little plastic bags and throwing them in the trash is the way. Here, you are not supposed to put it in organic waste recycling, so trash it is.

I have only one dog and he isn't all that big.

If I lived on my own property, I might consider composting it with garden waste.
and a guitar-shaped-object

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic