The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-24-2021, 12:12 PM

You are putting too much emphasis on one aspect of what makes a neck feel the way it does which is nut width. When it comes to necks you are not only talking width and taper but carve. You have shape (Fat C, Round C, Hard and Soft V and such) and depth at 1st and 9th/12th fret. Then you have to throw in string spread at the bridge. For me a 1 3/4" nut combined with a .93" depth at the 1st fret and a string spacing of 2 3/8" at the bridge is more comfortable than say a 1 13/16" nut, depth of .86" at the 1st and 2 3/16" string spacing.

The frustrating part is when you look at specs on line you are lucky to get a nut width and general description of the shape of the neck carve. Figuring out what you are most comfortable with is just part of the learning experience. And as is not to be unexpected you will take more than a few wrong turns on that trip.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cri75! View Post
Thanks, but I like the 52 mm width and flat radius of my Alhambra.
I bought the Sigma (and now the Baton Rouge parlor) because I like the steel string guitar sound too.
Flat radius?
Old 02-25-2021, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Flat radius?
Hi,
Sorry for my error in writing. My excuses are that I was writing on the phone and I am Italian, so not a native English speaker :-)

I meant flat fretboard (no radius at all, or infinite radius :-) )

Anyway, better clarify something, since the post has moved here, but it is related to steel strings guitars and not nylon string.

I have cited my nylon string guitar only for example. I have an Alhambra classical guitar with nylon string and a Yamaha silent guitar with nylon-string... I do not have any complaints about them, they are just wonderful for my taste.

The topic of this tread is about the feeling with the neck of my newly acquired Sigma 000M-18+, which is a steel-string guitar and in particular, is a cheap clone of the Martin OM-18.
It has (as I wrote previously) 1 3/4 wide neck and 2 1/4 e to E string space at the bridge.
Best regards
Cristian
Old 02-25-2021, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
You are putting too much emphasis on one aspect of what makes a neck feel the way it does which is nut width. When it comes to necks you are not only talking width and taper but carve. You have shape (Fat C, Round C, Hard and Soft V and such) and depth at 1st and 9th/12th fret. Then you have to throw in string spread at the bridge. For me a 1 3/4" nut combined with a .93" depth at the 1st fret and a string spacing of 2 3/8" at the bridge is more comfortable than say a 1 13/16" nut, depth of .86" at the 1st and 2 3/16" string spacing.

The frustrating part is when you look at specs online you are lucky to get a nut width and general description of the shape of the neck carve. Figuring out what you are most comfortable with is just part of the learning experience. And as is not to be unexpected you will take more than a few wrong turns on that trip.
Agreed.
Especially now that due to the pandemic, it is almost impossible (in my case) to go and try a guitar before buying it. I would like that the online shop used to write an exhaustive table of the specs.
Now I am getting more used to the neck (but I still desire that it was more chunky). Luckily the string spacing is 2 1/4 and I find it very comfortable.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:34 AM

If you have (or can save up for) a significantly larger budget, Emerald Guitars in Ireland offers custom nut width on some models. I ordered the small X7 at 46.5 mm because I tried an Eastman slightly wider nut (about 46mm) and liked it. the 46.5 is actually just a bit wider than I should have gone but am growing accustomed. In any event, these are great guitars (carbon fiber, BTW).
Old 03-22-2021, 12:44 PM

I’d try to adjust the software to adapt to the hardware. You’ll thank me later.

I don’t mean to come across as a facetious remark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical