The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I had opportunities to buy several pre-2020 Collings D2HT and D2HAT models in baked and non-baked version. But when I heard the sound samples, I wasn't convinced. There was too much of the "old" Collings sound in them... too bright, not enough warmth/mellowness, too much splitting of the difference between the regular Collings line and the Martin sound etc.

The 2020 neck reinforcement change + the Satin finish however really made a massive difference in the T series. Plus I was strongly advised to avoid the baked versions because of my experience with the Bourgeois AT D-Vintage and how I didn't like its narrower cone of sound and quick decay of the upper mids and highs.

Great advice all around from some really nice forum members, particularly Kori. And now I have a(nother) killer Rosewood dread.
Brendan. Was more than a little surprised at reading your endorsement, but we certainly agree about the current T dread. I think you're right, the 2020 Ts do sound different than the older Ts, and maybe it is the neck. And the torrified tops do sound a little different, though both top options sound great to me. I chose to split the difference and asked, through Artisan, for a lightly baked top. The folks at Collings apparently went through the stock until they found one that really doesn't look baked--but rather a top that looks like it's simply aged a couple of years. The sound, as I've written, is for me perfect, and most importantly, it retains what I feel is the signature vibrancy of all Collings guitars. They seem to come alive in my hands.

And set up properly, almost all Collings have proven great to play for me. The dread T set up properly is pretty spectacular. And, as you write, the guitar might have the best neck carve ever.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Has the neck carve changed with the newer T models (2020)? Or is the carve the same and the reinforcement the only change?
Old 03-01-2021, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

I went through and listened to a bunch of fairly recent stuff from TNAG (not the first time) and still find myself preferring Bourgeois.

Would still be curious to try out a newer Collings.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-01-2021, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had opportunities to buy several pre-2020 Collings D2HT and D2HAT models in baked and non-baked version. But when I heard the sound samples, I wasn't convinced. There was too much of the "old" Collings sound in them... too bright, not enough warmth/mellowness, too much splitting of the difference between the regular Collings line and the Martin sound etc.

The 2020 neck reinforcement change + the Satin finish however really made a massive difference in the T series. Plus I was strongly advised to avoid the baked versions because of my experience with the Bourgeois AT D-Vintage and how I didn't like its narrower cone of sound and quick decay of the upper mids and highs.

Great advice all around from some really nice forum members, particularly Kori. And now I have a(nother) killer Rosewood dread.
Mine isn't a 2020. However, it sounds so good none of that matters to me. I have only owned one previous Collings and this doesn't have that sterile sound that I thought that one (D1A) had. It's also much bassier and warmer sounding.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:06 PM

I'm loving my 2018 D1 T big time!!

thumbnail_IMG_0201.jpg
Old 03-01-2021, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I've played quite a few and my favorites have been the Santa Cruz Tony Rice Pro, The Goodall TRD, and some people say Martin can't be out Martined. I love a lot of the custom shop and authentic series Martin guitars I've played.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 03-01-2021, 03:15 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Mine isn't a 2020. However, it sounds so good none of that matters to me. I have only owned one previous Collings and this doesn't have that sterile sound that I thought that one (D1A) had. It's also much bassier and warmer sounding.
Yep, me too. Mine is a 2017. Wonderfully played in. I’m sure the 2020 versions are great...but so is mine.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:22 PM

Pre-War Guitars.
“New old guitars of the future “.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

In the $5k used price range, the world is your oyster. I'd venture you'll like anything in that price range. It sounds to me you really need to decide the hog vs. rosewood thing. If you are a flatpicker in the bluegrass vein, I think you need to play very clean to sound really good on a rosewood guitar.

If you can go shopping in a real store, play them all.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-01-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Uncle Jesse,

I tried to be careful in my post to avoid saying the 2020 sounds better. But it does, to me, sound a little different. I can't say which I'd prefer (an earlier T or the 2020) since I've never had the two side by side. I can say the tipping point for me to get one was its availability in the 1 11/16 nut width with, I believe, a slightly less full neck.

I previously owned a standard D2HA which was a splendid guitar--but not quite what I needed for vocal accompaniment. But I've come to believe I pretty much succumbed to what many Collings owners do by bailing on the guitar too early. Collings guitars, from my no longer insignificant experience, really do age into more expressive, coherent and generally more colorful instruments. I've three that have, and I wouldn't trade my two mature OMs for their new T versions.

But the T versions do seem to me to be more of the way to the direction of played in guitars--though not necessarily heading to the same destination as the standards. That's been my experience demoing Ts over the last few years. Some prefer the standards--undoubtedly with an eye (and ear) to how they'll develop. I do know that when I played my D1AT, which was an act of faith encouraged from afar by Bill at Artisan, I was thrilled from the first note.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:39 PM
Musical minimalist

I've heard some people say Matt Arcara builds some fine guitars. Music Emporium stocks them new and used from time to time. Recording sound very nice (with the builder playing some of them!)

Old 03-01-2021, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
Brendan. Was more than a little surprised at reading your endorsement, but we certainly agree about the current T dread. I think you're right, the 2020 Ts do sound different than the older Ts, and maybe it is the neck.

And set up properly, almost all Collings have proven great to play for me. The dread T set up properly is pretty spectacular. And, as you write, the guitar might have the best neck carve ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I went through and listened to a bunch of fairly recent stuff from TNAG (not the first time) and still find myself preferring Bourgeois.

Would still be curious to try out a newer Collings.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
Uncle Jesse,

I tried to be careful in my post to avoid saying the 2020 sounds better. But it does, to me, sound a little different. I can't say which I'd prefer (an earlier T or the 2020) since I've never had the two side by side. I can say the tipping point for me to get one was its availability in the 1 11/16 nut width with, I believe, a slightly less full neck.

But the T versions do seem to me to be more of the way to the direction of played in guitars--though not necessarily heading to the same destination as the standards. That's been my experience demoing Ts over the last few years. Some prefer the standards--undoubtedly with an eye (and ear) to how they'll develop. I do know that when I played my D1AT, which was an act of faith encouraged from afar by Bill at Artisan, I was thrilled from the first note.
I'll go ahead and stick my neck out with this recording of my 2020 D2HTS. Let me know how you all like the tone. Played with a BlueChip TD-45 and strung with John Pearse 600L PBs in 12 - 53 gauge... yes, Lights!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-01-2021, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll go ahead and stick my neck out with this recording of my 2020 D2HTS. Let me know how you all like the tone. Played with a BlueChip TD-45 and strung with John Pearse 600L PBs in 12 - 53 gauge... yes, Lights!

Sounds great! I'm going to have to upload one so I can listen to them both back to back
Old 03-01-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Uh oh. I'd already been daydreaming a little bit about a D2H down the road to pair with my two mahogany guitars, but now you've got me in scheming mode. Nice playing and recording — the sample sounds lovely.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:30 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:

Great playing as always, Brendan! Somehow I’m thinking that whether I’m playing my nicely played in 2017 or your new 2020 the result won’t be near what your skill produces. Go figure...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion