The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-22-2021, 05:26 PM
Spadina501 Spadina501 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 4
Default Restringing Journey OF660

Hello

Is there any special way to restring this guitar with the locking tuners due to the detachable neck? I noticed that the stock strings hardly had any turns around the posts when I received it.

I took them off and now Iím not convinced by the way the strings go loose at the posts with new ones Iíve put on.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2021, 06:43 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A cultural misfit on a blue square....for now
Posts: 4,151
Default

Just like a normal guitar. Just make sure the locking mechanisms are open and you can pass the string through the eyelet. I know that you received it with the strings cut without any wraps but I would advise wrapping a couple times, lock, being to pitch and then clip. It wonít hurt anything. Here is a pic of mine

IMG_1614041005.685901.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2021, 07:26 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,116
Default

For full disclosure: I am new to locking tuners; the electric guitar I recently bought has them, and I really like 'em. What I read about using them was: pull the string relatively tight through the post, lock it down, trim the string, and tune... assuming about half around the post to bring the string up to tune.

I would think (and again, I am no expert) that multiple wraps around the post just means you are going to have a lot of tightening to do once you put the neck back on... the wraps are going to loosen when the neck is off. I think the locking tuners on the OF660 are there by design. Just thinking out loud... well, on-line, here.
__________________
Some CF, some wood.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2021, 07:53 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A cultural misfit on a blue square....for now
Posts: 4,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
For full disclosure: I am new to locking tuners; the electric guitar I recently bought has them, and I really like 'em. What I read about using them was: pull the string relatively tight through the post, lock it down, trim the string, and tune... assuming about half around the post to bring the string up to tune.

I would think (and again, I am no expert) that multiple wraps around the post just means you are going to have a lot of tightening to do once you put the neck back on... the wraps are going to loosen when the neck is off. I think the locking tuners on the OF660 are there by design. Just thinking out loud... well, on-line, here.
Jim- my Journey is a 2017 (I think) and back then Journey wasn't shipping with locking tuners. They started shipping with locking proprietary tuners in 2020 but I was able to buy them aftermarket from the Journey site. Honestly I'm kind of disappointed in them. On more than one occasion the locking mechanism, which is not the screw type but "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy" wheels type, has failed to hold my string in place after bringing to pitch and then clipping.

When that has happened I found it a crappy experience to use that same string which is just barely long enough to thread the post and restring. It means less string for the capstan to "bite" onto and more likely I'll stab my finger trying to get it to restring. No thanks! I suppose that with the locking tuners I get a bit of added protection when the neck is disassembled so the strings don't come off the capstans, but it isn't much due to the way I string my guitars (Doyle Dykes method). I've found that that little hook left when the windings are slackened are enough to hold the string in the eyelet and no need for locking tuners (which are also heavier). I honestly wouldn't recommend them but would recommend owners string up the Journey just like any other guitar with regular tuners.

steelvibe had to throw away a whole new set of strings because of not doing wraps. Don't be like steelvibe.

Last edited by steelvibe; 02-22-2021 at 08:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2021, 05:27 AM
Spadina501 Spadina501 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 4
Default

Thatís the problem I had, the strings moving in the locking tuners when tuning after that neck was fitted again.
Iíve also wasted a pack of strings but will try again

A YouTube video on how to string this
Guitar would be great
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2021, 08:07 AM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 6,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Jim- my Journey is a 2017 (I think) and back then Journey wasn't shipping with locking tuners. They started shipping with locking proprietary tuners in 2020 but I was able to buy them aftermarket from the Journey site. Honestly I'm kind of disappointed in them. On more than one occasion the locking mechanism, which is not the screw type but "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy" wheels type, has failed to hold my string in place after bringing to pitch and then clipping.

When that has happened I found it a crappy experience to use that same string which is just barely long enough to thread the post and restring. It means less string for the capstan to "bite" onto and more likely I'll stab my finger trying to get it to restring. No thanks! I suppose that with the locking tuners I get a bit of added protection when the neck is disassembled so the strings don't come off the capstans, but it isn't much due to the way I string my guitars (Doyle Dykes method). I've found that that little hook left when the windings are slackened are enough to hold the string in the eyelet and no need for locking tuners (which are also heavier). I honestly wouldn't recommend them but would recommend owners string up the Journey just like any other guitar with regular tuners.

steelvibe had to throw away a whole new set of strings because of not doing wraps. Don't be like steelvibe.
Better to trust someone with actual experience (steelvibe) that someone just pondering (me).
__________________
Some CF, some wood.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-2021, 10:48 AM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A cultural misfit on a blue square....for now
Posts: 4,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadina501 View Post
Thatís the problem I had, the strings moving in the locking tuners when tuning after that neck was fitted again.
Iíve also wasted a pack of strings but will try again

A YouTube video on how to string this
Guitar would be great
I just string it like I would an acoustic with regular tuners but I don't cut off the excess string (like in other methods). I do it like the guy in the video below with the only difference in that you would need to run the string through the retainer on your Journey first. (When it comes to trimming the excess string I do it like Doyle in the second video below)



This video shows the "Doyle Dykes trick" to remove excess string after the guitar is tuned to pitch and your tuners are locked. You can watch the "trick" at the 9:55 in the video below. This technique is totally safe and fool proof as, just like Doyle, I've done this many times without issue. My favorite things about this method is that your string will cut itself right at the eyelet so there's will be no string left to poke you and you won't need to put cutters anywhere near your headstock risking damage to your guitars.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2021, 02:58 PM
jdinaz jdinaz is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,425
Default

Yeah, you don't want to cut the string until you have tuned it if you are using round wound strings. Like DR Sunbeams.
__________________
John
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-26-2021, 03:30 AM
Spadina501 Spadina501 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 4
Default

Steelvibe, thanks!

I managed to a neat job and am feeling very chuffed after following the video your provided.

I put Daddario EJ17 Phosphor Bronze on it as they are what I have on my D55. I’ve been through loads of different string brands over the years but have always made my way back to them.

Wondering if the bridge needs to be swapped with the spare one now though as seem to get a bit of clunk from the strings now and then on the frets.

On the next change I plan to go to EJ11 80/20 as while I’m enjoying the sound, it’s a bit more deeper than the bright sound from the Elixirs it arrived with.
I think the EJ11 strings will bring everything out in this guitar.

I have to say I was skeptical when buying it as I tried an Emerald before but I didn’t like the sound of it - it sounded very synthetic. This has great tone and I find it hard to believe some of the comments where people say it’s quiet - the projection and volume is great!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-26-2021, 12:27 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A cultural misfit on a blue square....for now
Posts: 4,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadina501 View Post
Steelvibe, thanks!

I managed to a neat job and am feeling very chuffed after following the video your provided.

I put Daddario EJ17 Phosphor Bronze on it as they are what I have on my D55. Iíve been through loads of different string brands over the years but have always made my way back to them.

Wondering if the bridge needs to be swapped with the spare one now though as seem to get a bit of clunk from the strings now and then on the frets.

On the next change I plan to go to EJ11 80/20 as while Iím enjoying the sound, itís a bit more deeper than the bright sound from the Elixirs it arrived with.
I think the EJ11 strings will bring everything out in this guitar.

I have to say I was skeptical when buying it as I tried an Emerald before but I didnít like the sound of it - it sounded very synthetic. This has great tone and I find it hard to believe some of the comments where people say itís quiet - the projection and volume is great!
Welcome! I like mine.

I'm finding that the OF660 is not nearly as finicky about strings as the RainSong I previously owned. I've tried about 20 different sets on the Journey since buying it and nothing sounded bad on except for maybe D'addario Nickel Bronze lights and Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze custom lights. Both 80/20 and Phosphor Bronze sound good on this guitar, but I agree with you that this guitar does fine with mediums, and probably better. The CF build can handle it, and with the 24.5" scale the mediums feel like lights.

My favorite so far has GHS Vintage Bronze which is are similar to 80/20. Bright and punchy but balance with the inherent warmth of the OF660. Only caveat with mediums is that the nut slots are cut for light strings. I put a Zero Glide nut on my guitar and really like it, but you could also apply a little graphite from a pencil to help with using medium strings.

What you say about volume is true. Perceived lack of volume was one of my disappointments with the guitar when I first got it. But once I navigated other strings and heard someone else play the guitar I no longer feel it is so compressed, it is just warmer- which I like! It projects well considering it's size and the heavily constructed neck joint. It's also cool how the sound hole it closer to your ears than a conventional guitar and slighty angled toward you because of the wedge design. Journey nailed it on this guitar, but I think it could be made better with a lighter but equally strong neck join. I think it would make the guitar even more resonant and better sounding.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=