The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2021, 10:08 PM

Default Anyone tried different strings on 2021 Taylor 814CE V-Class?

Just curious if anyone changes the strings on Taylor redefined V-Class 814CE model.
Yes Elixirs are great but they I feel that they inhibit certain true frequencies of an acoustic guitar.

Also, I am just wondering if the V Class has certain symbiotic relationship with the tone of Elixirs?

Any input would be welcome
or if anyone tried a different strings brand with better results?
H&D TDR Custom
Collings D1A | CJ Mh
McPherson MG 5.0 XP Cedar
Froggy Bottom Model K | SJ
Gibson: J-45 Banner Reissue
Taylor: 714CE Cedar | 717 BE
Martin Custom Shop: 0000-18 Sinker | D18 Sinker | D35 Wild EIR | D28AA 1937
Martin: D18 (1973) | D35 | J40 | D41 | 000-28 EC
Five River Guitar
Old 11-27-2021, 10:49 PM

I have tried this on my 914 v class and it’s pretty good. I am happy with the sound and volume.
I can’t say if it’s “better” than Elixir.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:01 AM
Runaway Tomato

My 2019 814ce DLX V-Class likes Martin Retro - Tony Rice Signature mediums (13-56). They bring out a lot of power and knock off some of the highs. They're in stock at Sweetwater - -
Former AGF Moderator
Old 11-28-2021, 12:16 AM

As a broader response to your question (I've owned a few Taylors, currently down to one, but never an 814ce V) Taylor themselves freely suggest trying different strings. There's no special "symbiosis" with Taylor guitars and Elixir strings. The main reason they use Elixirs is likely for longevity. Their guitars will sit in big box stores like Guitar Center and Sam Ash for many months, and they want the strings to still sound factory fresh which will make them more appealing to buyers. Martin finally picked up on this and made their own extended life (treated) strings and now string their guitars standard with them (at least the higher cost models).

In last week's Taylor Live YouTube stream, Andy Powers himself described Elixirs as being "middle of the road" tonewise, when they were answering questions from viewers about what strings to use/experiment with.

My personal view is that Elixirs tend to make most guitars sound zingy, which is why I no longer use them.

Your 814ce is one of the most common combination of tonewoods, sitka spruce over east indian rosewood. Most strings will sound good-to-great on it. I don't know what you mean by Elixirs "inhibiting certain true frequencies" but some respected builders ship with D'addario Phosphor Bronze (Collings uses uncoated EJ16s on their OMs, Huss and Dalton use coated EXP 16/17 depending on small/large body size). Martin as I mentioned use their own strings and I have tried both the uncoated PB and the Lifespan 2.0.

If you want to get more "boutique-y" you can try Newtone strings (I currently have a set of Heritage 12-55 on my 1934 D and like them a lot) and Santa Cruz Parabolic Low Tensions.

I also like the sound of DR Sunbeams but they, like Newtone, are round core strings so be sure to tune to pitch before cutting excess string from the tuning posts.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 11-28-2021, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

i have always found Martin strings to give more of everything to Taylors. have used the standard SP strings on Taylors for years.

try out a couple different versions of Martin strings, i think you'll like what you hear. the first thing i do when i get a Taylor is clean it, set it up, and get rid of the elixir strings. i understand why they put them on the guitars, but there are better choices for tone once it becomes your guitar.

have fun
d
Old 11-28-2021, 07:43 AM

lol symbiosis. Strings are like $5, just try different ones. Manufacturers use whatever is cheapest and will sound passable after months in a warehouse.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:54 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
lol symbiosis. Strings are like $5, just try different ones. Manufacturers use whatever is cheapest and will sound passable after months in a warehouse.
Sometimes even the smallest detail make the biggest difference,
Come to the darker side of the gear geekery 😉

Strings can either bring out or manipulate the true tonality of the guitar.

Cheers
H&D TDR Custom
Collings D1A | CJ Mh
McPherson MG 5.0 XP Cedar
Froggy Bottom Model K | SJ
Gibson: J-45 Banner Reissue
Taylor: 714CE Cedar | 717 BE
Martin Custom Shop: 0000-18 Sinker | D18 Sinker | D35 Wild EIR | D28AA 1937
Martin: D18 (1973) | D35 | J40 | D41 | 000-28 EC
Five River Guitar
Old 11-28-2021, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Strings, flat picks, thumb picks and finger picks are all at the cheap end of guitar pimping. Yet they have a significant effect on how your instrument will feel and play. It's like buying a high quality hifi; it will sound good out of the box but you won't get the best out of it until you have spent a little time experimenting with the e/q.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-28-2021, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I use D'Addario EJ16 (light gauge, PB) on my two Taylor guitars. To me they sound better than Elixirs and they are way less expensive. D'Addario EJ16 strings go on sale quite often.

Martin SP Authentic strings also sound good, but the Martin PB formulation is a little stiffer than D'Addario and I feel that difference in my fingers. I use PB formulation whenever I can because it's warmer than 80/20 bronze.

There is nothing magic about Elixirs on a Taylor guitar. They are simply using strings that will hold up on a guitar hanging in a shop for months.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion