The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
In the last few months, I've seen a MUCH higher percentage of completely "laughable" asking prices EVERYWHERE guitars are listed.
Well, if you remove the guitars being sold out of Japan, a lot of those completely "laughable" asking prices go away.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 11-27-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I view the AGF and Reverb listings regularly, and get the same impression / perception as Todd and others. Whether it's a function of simple supply/demand economics or something else is a discussion with many opinions. IMHO, an informative factor is time between listing and sale.

Cheers!

Last edited by wguitar; 11-27-2021 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
But are they actually moving at those crazy prices?

Several I’ve been watching here have not moved. Some sitting for long periods of time.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
………On a related economic note, I enjoyed a delicious cherry pie on Thanksgiving and was shocked to learn the purchase price was $20 from a local farm that grows their own cherries. So it's not just rising guitar costs that make you wonder ....

Cheers!
I am not sure this type of comment is permissible… if not, Mods please delete.

Look at the price of ammo…. In most cases, prices have increased
three fold over the past year and a half.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:59 PM

I’m glad I enjoy my guitars, because I’m definitely priced out of the market right now. I sold a guitar at the beginning of all this mess in April 2020 that I was really happy to get $1250 for. I wouldn’t mind owning that model again and I see them listed over $1600 or more now. It’s wild and I won’t be participating in this market anytime soon.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I am not sure this type of comment is permissible… if not, Mods please delete.

Look at the price of ammo…. In most cases, prices have increased
three fold over the past year and a half.
Godfather, my comment was posted as an innocuous contextual reference only and nothing more, but I have removed it nonetheless.

Cheers!
Old 11-27-2021, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've been "watching" the higher end used guitar market pretty darn well for the better part of two decades (thanks to the internet)

In the last few months, I've seen a MUCH higher percentage of completely "laughable" asking prices EVERYWHERE guitars are listed.

Crazy....
Totally agree, many asking prices are totally out of line. However, given the supply/demand situation and very low dealer inventory everywhere, I can't blame individual sellers, even those in our own AGF classifieds, from trying to get top dollar for their instruments right now.

"Make hay while the sun shines"

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-27-2021, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Godfather, my comment was posted as an innocuous contextual reference only and nothing more, but I have removed it nonetheless.

Cheers!
The note to Mods was about my “ammo” content. Certainly not your cherry pie comparison. Everyone loves pie!
I apologize it influenced your deletion. Please repost it. ��
Old 11-27-2021, 09:45 PM

It may come down to ‘somebody wants it more than me’ as opposed to need to sell.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:50 PM

Prices for guitars and other things such as ammo and, apparently, cherry pie have been grossly inflated for quite some time due to the pandemic. I am starting to see some normalization at least with guitars, although there are certainly still some outliers. I hope the price moderations continue and we see used D-18s for $1500 again. Stores are starting to have inventory again which is a good sign.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
The note to Mods was about my “ammo” content. Certainly not your cherry pie comparison. Everyone loves pie!
I apologize it influenced your deletion. Please repost it. ��

LOL ... $20 cherry pie from a local farm that grows their own cherries, skyrocketing used and new guitar prices ... just makes you wonder " what's really driving this ? "
Old 11-28-2021, 12:54 AM

Lol. I assure you a real bakery pie is easily $20.00 and higher
Old 11-28-2021, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

Mmmm......

An acoustic guitar is a discretionary spend in a very small global market (ie number of guitar outlets v number of grocery stores). The boutique guitar market is a discretionary spend in a very, very, very small market.

Gibson obviously has production capacity, and they have put that into a new line of cheaper guitars, not their high end products. I see than Godin is dipping its toe into China to put a cheaper product on the market. Martin's next investment will be in lower end production, not its custom shop. And I just checked the price of a £99 guitar I bought 18 months ago to take on a trip and it is still £99 - despite shipping costs going from $2000 per container to over $30,000 per container in the same period.

Plus the stock markets are going to fall this Monday morning!

So I really wouldn't worry about a blip in the boutique market.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Several I’ve been watching here have not moved. Some sitting for long periods of time.
Exactly my suspicion. The fact that we see some NGDs here on AGF tells us absolutely nothing about what price someone actually paid. It's like looking at reverb or Ebay and only focusing on listed prices, not sold prices. That gives you a false sense of the market.

And IMO we need to not conflate these price discussions with products of other categories, like pies. I think there's a fundamental difference, as around the holidays, everyone needs sweet baked goods. But while we would all agree that everyone needs a guitar, that's not really the case. Certainly no one needs a guitar priced over say, around the 2k level. Kinda like yachts.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

I think some sellers prices are so crazy, that you don't even consider negotiating, but what's even more alarming than that, is the amount of new forumites that have come out of the woodwork selling guitars these days...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion