The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-22-2021, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone else noticed that you never see negative comments like some of the above on any of the Emerald posts? Only on the Mcphersons and a few on the Rainsongs. Not that it means anything...just something I noticed.

I agree with Guitarxan....Would I give up wood guitars for the Sable? For me the answer is no, but is sure nice to have one.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Well, as noted about a month ago, in post #11, I did return the Sable and kept the 000-28EC. And just in time to have to crank the heat in the house, which over a couple of weeks, has the EC sounding FANTASTIC! Which, to put it mildly, gave me much reinforcement for the decision I’d made. Also, I’m fine with dealing with humidity, particularly when it’s really dry - I just set up a humidifier and let it keep the room between 45-50%. The humid summer months are more problematic - I’ve been using desiccants in the cases, but I may opt for a de-humidifier next summer. I just decided to do my best and not worry about it. For me, my two Martins are the right guitars - took me awhile to find out just what I liked and Ive got two of em now, with very different sounds, but similar feel. I very much liked the Sable and the X7 I used to have, the X20 not so much (there you go John - a negative reaction to an Emerald!). But none enough to displace either of these Martins. So for the foreseeable future, no carbon fiber in my guitar room…

-Ray
Old 11-22-2021, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
... because to me, there's no replacing "the wood" in an acoustic instrument. I'm sure the McPhearson comes close and looks to be a fine guitar, but I guess carbon fiber guitars just aren't for me
I get that. But I recently ordered an Emerald precisely because it might sound different from my wood guitars. I don't really need the humidity resistance aspect of CF. I'm just looking for something that sounds nice, but hopefully a little different from my others.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I used to have, the X20 not so much (there you go John - a negative reaction to an Emerald!).
-Ray
LOL..thanks Ray, that made me laugh. I hope my comment didn't come across as harsh or mean. I meant it more as amusing. I think I have told the story of my OOO-28ec before, but here it is again, I had an EC, it was fantastic and one of the best guitars I had ever played. We needed some house money, so I figured I could sell the EC and replace it later. Which I did. The problem though was that I figured wrong. My 2nd EC was not near as good as the first one. Point being....if you got a good one, HANG ON TO IT ! They are not created equal. Dang it. That said, my M36 is right there with the first EC I had. So, I totally agree with your comments and decision. Play it in great health.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:43 PM

Out of curiosity, how much was it? I'm not looking to buy another, but I'd like to know.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2021, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
LOL..thanks Ray, that made me laugh. I hope my comment didn't come across as harsh or mean. I meant it more as amusing. I think I have told the story of my OOO-28ec before, but here it is again, I had an EC, it was fantastic and one of the best guitars I had ever played. We needed some house money, so I figured I could sell the EC and replace it later. Which I did. The problem though was that I figured wrong. My 2nd EC was not near as good as the first one. Point being....if you got a good one, HANG ON TO IT ! They are not created equal. Dang it. That said, my M36 is right there with the first EC I had. So, I totally agree with your comments and decision. Play it in great health.
Didn't come across as harsh or mean at all. But I've been pretty open about my inability to bond with the X20 I had, so I figured it deserved another mention. As for my 000-28EC, I've never played another one so I don't know if it's a good one or a really good one or an amazing one, but it sounds fantastic to me. My rosewood standard is a 1968 D-28 that was my only acoustic for about 25 years. The EC sounds like a smaller version of that guitar, same sweet rosewood sound. I'd pretty much convinced myself I didn't like rosewood anymore, but it turns out I just hadn't tried the right one yet...

-Ray
Old 11-22-2021, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I don't mean to pile on in a negative sense,

read your post twice,,

but it seems like selling guitars due the effort of maintaining proper RH sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

I tend to keep my guitars (6 acoustics) cased until I want play them,

the action on none of them change a bit over the course of the year's climate change.

I am now using the sound hole humidifiers and the soap travel box with a damp sponge up under the head stock. so that maintenance has begun but I don't mind doing it.

to me it's a small amount of effort for big gains.

All this to say,

Keep that EC signature, because to me, there's no replacing "the wood" in an acoustic instrument. I'm sure the McPhearson comes close and looks to be a fine guitar, but I guess carbon fiber guitars just aren't for me

I should probably take these things more seriously, but I just can't. The EC is a fine instrument and the closest I had come to buying a Martin until I did have an old 00 from the 1920s for a while. I do get a kick out of how some folks can get upset over such differences in taste and opinion though. I have seen people almost come to blows when discussing their favorite teams and arguments in these forums over differences of opinion about guitars. Hopefully, that won't happen here. Martins and McPersons are both fine makers.

Tony
Old 11-22-2021, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Out of curiosity, how much was it? I'm not looking to buy another, but I'd like to know.

Thanks!
It was about $2200 and I had it shipped to a store in Delaware which is tax free. The cheapest used one I've seen on this site was about $2700 IIRC. They original owner left his receipt in the case and he'd paid close to $3600 (including tax) not six months before I saw it on the Guitar Center site. It was definitely too good a price not to give it a good solid try. Turned out not for me, but seemed like a close call there for a couple of days...

-Ray
Old 11-22-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Regarding wood and carbon fiber. My wife asked me bring a guitar into the living room this morning, to entertain her while she made breakfast. I brought out my Taylor 814ce. After a couple songs, I swapped it for my X20. A couple more songs, then the X10. Finished up with a tune on the X7. I asked her which guitar she preferred.

She is sometimes diplomatic. Her immediate answer: "The X20; it just sounds richer than the others."

I agree with her, but the 814 also has great tone. I really appreciate having the variety. Proof that I still play a wood guitar on occasion...

But, it doesn't take the place of a fine carbon fiber guitar.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

So now you folks did it. Despite all the good things that have been said about the Sable, I too have to reassess the stable Sable in my stable.

The life changing question...

Do I want to keep the Sable or get an Olson?!?!?!

Just what IS behind door number three???

Edit: In the interest of full disclosure, here are some facts:

1. Olson Guitars is only 14 miles from where I live (via google maps).
2. I can't afford an Olson, but still...this IS an acoustic guitar forum so such details have little bearing.
3. I already own not one, but two (count 'em) Stable Sables. My cost for each brand new was also right around what the OP paid. As I always say, never pay full price unless a weapon is involved and it isn't yours.

Tony
Old 11-22-2021, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that you never see negative comments like some of the above on any of the Emerald posts? Only on the Mcphersons and a few on the Rainsongs. Not that it means anything...just something I noticed.
That one’s easy.

Emeralds are perfect.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-22-2021, 06:25 PM

Ray, I think you made a good move unless you could have just kept all 3. I had a 000-28ec and it fit me like a glove. Loved the neck, string spacing, feel, everything about it except 1 thing - it sounded like it was stuffed with wet socks! It pained me to sell it, but it was just a dead sounding guitar. I'm told by a lot of folks that there are good ones and bad ones, and if you find a good one, which apparently you did, hold onto it.

At the end of the day, I think you'll find the Sable will be easier to replace than your particular ec. I doubt there are "good and bad" Sables.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:

I agree with Guitarxan....Would I give up wood guitars for the Sable? For me the answer is no, but is sure nice to have one.
There have been some negative Emerald posts. I sold my X20 as soon as I had a Sable in my stable. To me the Sable sounded WAY better and the neck was WAY more comfortable. There's more, I but I don't remember the details about the X20 anymore. It's all subjective anyway.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
That one’s easy.

Emeralds are perfect.

Not for me.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Not for me.
The comment was intended to be humourous, hence the

Of course, having to explain it rather misses the point.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber