The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2021, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Not impressed with the sound of Martin D-28. Am I crazy?

We like what we like. I have played some D-28 guitars that were sublime and many that were simply too stiff for me, not responsive enough. To me, there has been a lot of variation in the tone of the D-28 over the years. But a really responsive one can be a terrific treat.

- Glenn
Old 09-03-2021, 07:51 PM

Not impressed with the sound of Martin D-28. Am I crazy?

Not necessarily.

And certainly not about a Martin guitar.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 09-03-2021, 07:57 PM

Nope, not at all.

I don't like D-bodies in general, so the "Rich, full sound" of a D-28 sounds "Boomy and muddy" under my fingers, pretty much regardless of maker...

Guess I got a heavy thumb.

OTOH, a 000 or an OM are Perfect . . .
Old 09-03-2021, 10:14 PM

No, you're not crazy.

I've played many D-28s that didn't do anything for me, at all. That went on for years, quite literally. The first one I played was back in the early '80s. I had resigned myself to thinking that no D-28 was ever going to "speak" to me, at least, not in my price range. And I wasn't going to take out a mortgage for a guitar.

But don't give up, based on just that one example!

There's one sitting in my living room, right now, that is superb. Undeniably everything a D-28 ever was, and is, supposed to be. Reasonably priced, too.
To say that I was surprised when I found it would be an understatement.

... JT
Old 09-04-2021, 06:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Well, I'm not a rosewood guy, so there's that. You may want to check out the D18.

scott
From one Scott to another: The new D-18 is a monster. I'm a hog man myself, but the D-28 is iconic for a reason. As with any wooden instrument, sometimes lightning strikes and the perfect elements of glue, wood and fairy dust line up to produce magic. Sometimes not.

Case in point: I have a buddy who bought one of the new redesigned D-18s which is just kinda so-so.

scott memmer
Old 09-04-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

Case in point: I have a buddy who bought one of the new redesigned D-18s which is just kinda so-so.

Same here. A few months after I got my D-28, my songwriting partner got one of the new D-18s. I don't care for it at all. It's tight, requires a heavy hand, and there's not a lot of feedback behind the sound hole. But he loves it, and it's his biggest guitar purchase ever, and so, I didn't say anything about it after I checked it out. I wanted to, but honestly, he just doesn't play well enough to notice what I found disappointing about it, and due to his age and infirmities, probably never will. He's very happy with it, anyway.

Sometimes it's better just to keep your opinions to yourself.

I've played it enough since then to try and like it, but I still don't. In addition, visually, it has so much runout that it always bugs me. If it had been me, I would have gotten my money back.

... JT
Old 09-04-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Same here. A few months after I got my D-28, my songwriting partner got one of the new D-18s. I don't care for it at all. It's tight, requires a heavy hand, and there's not a lot of feedback behind the sound hole. But he loves it, and it's his biggest guitar purchase ever, and so, I didn't say anything about it after I checked it out. I wanted to, but honestly, he just doesn't play well enough to notice what I found disappointing about it, and due to his age and infirmities, probably never will. He's very happy with it, anyway.

Sometimes it's better just to keep your opinions to yourself.

I've played it enough since then to try and like it, but I still don't. In addition, visually, it has so much runout that it always bugs me. If it had been me, I would have gotten my money back.
If he loves the guitar, it really doesnīt matter what you think. It has nothing to do with skills or age. Also this guitar could actually prove to be superior in the hands of a very skilled player... who knows ?
Old 09-04-2021, 07:31 PM

Not crazy. Several years ago I just knew I wanted a Martin. Every D28, D35 and most 18s were a disappointment. I did really like the D16 and every D15 I played. I ended up with a Gibson J45. The quality on martins are awesome and I love the looks I just don’t care for the sound of their main guitars. Like I said tho the d15s are freaking awesome
Old 09-04-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
If he loves the guitar, it really doesnīt matter what you think. It has nothing to do with skills or age. Also this guitar could actually prove to be superior in the hands of a very skilled player... who knows ?
You are absolutely right, it doesn't matter what I think, and that's why I didn't say anything about it. He likes it, and that's good enough. But about the superior part, that's doubtful. I'll stick with my assessment. I've played for fifty years and gone through a fair amount of guitars in that time, and based on that, and my skill level, I'd go with "middle-of-the-road" on the instrument.

... JT
Old 09-04-2021, 09:26 PM

Default factors

Lots of factors at play here...
I've seen dudzy d28's turn in to monsters with just some tech adjustments. Often its as simple as allowing a little bit more neck relief. Other times saddle bases and fit aren't quite flush, or action is too low and the saddle needs replacement (never shim!!!)
Also... having a heavy-handed blue grasser rip on it for an hour or so can do wonders...
Old 09-05-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFoote View Post
You are absolutely right, it doesn't matter what I think, and that's why I didn't say anything about it. He likes it, and that's good enough. But about the superior part, that's doubtful. I'll stick with my assessment. I've played for fifty years and gone through a fair amount of guitars in that time, and based on that, and my skill level, I'd go with "middle-of-the-road" on the instrument.

... JT
Again, itīs a subjective matter. One could tell you that one of your favorite guitars was a dud because he didnīt like the way it sounded or played. You would probably not care about it. Iīve played a lot of guitars owned by very skilled guitarists, who made their guitars sing but for me they were nothing special, but that was only my opinion, that didnīt necessarily made the guitar/build bad. Also a good setup and time could change things on a guitar, iīve experienced that many times over my many years of playing, so i never judge a guitar from playing it a coulple of times and because i donīt like it.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:51 AM

Again, no disagreement. I've been in a situation when a good guitarist didn't think that highly of my most prized instrument. Tastes are subjective. My ego survived the blow.

.. JT

Last edited by JTFoote; 09-05-2021 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Personal Preference
Old 09-05-2021, 04:47 AM

Quote:
I don't see the point of defending it from a distance; it is what it is.
I donīt defend anything here, as i wrote earlier in this thread my own D18 was very tight in the beginning, but now after 8 months of good playing itīs a totally different guitar. You know that can happen and you probably also know that most new standard guitars sounds that way out of the box. Fair that you donīt like the guitar, but you could have told just that and why and left the parts out where you feel sorry for your freind, here i sence a bit of arrogance. It has nothing to do with him, his age, skills, childhood polo and such things that you donīt like his guitar, heīs just happy with it.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:48 AM

Of the ones I've played, there were very few that brought an incurable smile to my face from tone.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:50 AM

You probably played a D-28 at a Guitar Center that was in need of a setup and new strings. I bet new strings at a minimum will make a big difference.

Of all my guitars, my HD-28 really sounds bad once the strings start to get old. Put new strings on it and voila! Great sounding guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion