The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2021, 07:53 AM

Default Not impressed with the sound of Martin D-28. Am I crazy?

I know the D-28 is one of the most famous guitars ever... I’ve recently played some of the new reimagined D-28s and I just was not impressed with the tone. It didn’t sound like anything special, especially for $3000.

The funny thing is I have a Martin X1-DE and I love it’s tone! Are any of you not fans of the D-28 or am I the only one?

Maybe if I played a pre-1969 Brazilian rosewood D-28 my opinion would change. I have also never played a pre-2017 non-reimagined one.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 09-03-2021, 07:58 AM

Well, I'm not a rosewood guy, so there's that. You may want to check out the D18.

scott
Old 09-03-2021, 08:01 AM

Youre not crazy. Tone is a personal thing - if it weren't all guitars would sound the same (budget constraints not withstanding).
Old 09-03-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Well, I'm not a rosewood guy, so there's that. You may want to check out the D18.

scott
I tried a D-18 too and didn’t like it. I have a Rosewood Taylor and to me it just sounds so much better than the D-28. Maybe because it’s 15 years old and has “opened up”? It doesn’t sound bright like many Taylor’s too. It could also be that I am just used to the sound since I’ve been playing it for 15 years
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 09-03-2021, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Definitely not crazy, I had the same reaction. I owned one for well over a year and just couldn't get over how "thin" it sounded to me. Compared to the 2 Huss and Daltons that I have (28 style and 18 style), it wasn't even a close comparison, they are worlds apart.

I was able to make a couple of fortunate trades and ended up with a used D-18 GE that simply blows the D-28 reimagined series out of the water in every regard.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:24 AM

When I finally decided that I was going to get a Martin I preferred the D18 to the D28.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-03-2021, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I agree with the other posts here - tone is very subjective and there is nothing crazy about preferring one sound over another. Brand names, wood combos, strings are all moving targets. Some players like a variety of tones and some just want to hear the one sound that most floats their boat. No right or wrong.
I played rosewood guitars for years and still play one as my main guitar but I have a couple of mahogany guitars that I have come to like equally as much.
Best,
Jayne
Old 09-03-2021, 08:30 AM

Depending on why you didn't like the D-28, you might try the HD-28. The HD will sound more open from new. Given the strait bracing, I think the D-28's take longer to mature and give you that full sound they are known for.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 09-03-2021, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I tried a D-18 too and didn’t like it. I have a Rosewood Taylor and to me it just sounds so much better than the D-28. Maybe because it’s 15 years old and has “opened up”? It doesn’t sound bright like many Taylor’s too. It could also be that I am just used to the sound since I’ve been playing it for 15 years
You know this, but Martins sound a lot different from Taylors. If your ear wants Taylor, you’ll be disappointed in Martin. It’s also true the D28 has non scalloped straight bracing, which sounds a lot different from scalloped. You really have to play a few D28s and HD28s in order to make an informed decision about your preferences. If you do that and are still underwhelmed, move along.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

not crazy.
Happens all the time, it is just not the brand/model guitar for you.
Don't doubt yourself, your own ear, etc...

Obviously, D28's are great, and why so many builders have their own version(s)...I had a similar experience when shopping for my rosewood dread, and I played many before buying. I started out thinking I wanted a D18 adirondack varient, and after playing them discovered a nice but simple rosewood/sitka sound is what worked best for me.

It is just about finding the one that is best for you regardless of brand or model number.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:37 AM

It's not just you. As pointed out already tone is very subjective.
I tried quite a few acoustics before deciding on the specific Martin dread jr. I bought. It just has " the sound" I love.
As always your mileage may vary.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I see! So, either your ears have become accustomed to the Taylor tone, OR you simply just like the Taylor tone more than Martin's.
Either way, at least you are giving your ears some options. Don't give up just yet. There are so many amazing guitars being built today.

scott
Old 09-03-2021, 08:43 AM

I sold a 1995 Taylor 810 that was amazing to get my D41 and the 810, as great as it was, pales in comparison to the D41. A Reimagined HD28 was the first Martin that I heard that made me WANT a Martin. I prefer my Bourgeois to my D41 though. Get out a play as many guitars, from different companies, as you can. Don’t just look at the name on the headstock. There are some fantastic guitars out there.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-03-2021, 08:44 AM

Don’t give it another thought. Simply not your cup of tea, and that’s fine. I don’t care for the sound of Adirondack spruce, a feature that has become immensely popular these days. So, I simply don’t look at guitars with addy tops.

Play what sounds good to you, not what others say you should like.
Rb
Old 09-03-2021, 09:08 AM

Default Don't like D-28's? OK with me.

Don't like D-28's. OK with me? Like the Romans used to say, "De gustibus non est disputandum."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion